• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Merged: Cavs trying to use Shaq to lure Williams

johnnyde

I could live with getting rid of Marvin's contract BUT your reasonsing is seriously flawed.

This SUCKS! Just let Marvin go, DAMN!

WHY?

1. We picked him over CP3 and Deron & we are paying dearly for that and will until (hopefully) Teague turns our PG flaws into a thing of the past.

You don't trade a player simply b/c a better player was drafted after him in a draft 5 years ago. That is not logical reasoning at all.

2. Then we force Marvin to start in a lineup where he does NOT fit or find his game...

How does he not fit ? He is an excellent defender and rebounder for a SF. He allows Smoove to play his best position, PF.

3. We also are paying between 6-8 MIL based on what he did in his contract year??? LOL!!! Every player goes hard in their contract year!!! Marvin's a real cool, laid back guys, who I met in person twice and I know he has a great relationship with teammates and he can ball...But a frontcourt of a healthy Shaq / Al / Smoove could put us into the Finals and give a shot to get rings...

Look around at what other SFs are making.

A frontcourt of Shaq, Horford, and Smoove is a chemistry nightmare. Especially of Teague is the starting PG. JJ would be our only 3 point shooter to spread the defenders out on the floor. That is just beyond stupid right there.

4. Smoove needs to be our Gerald Wallace/Prince SF to guard Lebrons and Melos while Joe defends the Kobes and Wades....That allows Horford to be his natural PF next to a big Shaq inside....But moving Marvin to the bench would having us with about $17MIL (Marvin and Crawford) on our bench...Ugh!

Why ? Smoove was the worst perimeter shooter of all starters in the NBA last year. That fact even includes centers. Smoove's best attribute is blocking and changing shots. If is left to stand around the perimeter guarding SFs then that takes him away from the basket where he can play help defense.

5. Last but not least, we'd get SHAQ!!! Not dominating Shaq of the 90s and early 00s...But huge strong as #ell, drawing fans to Phillips, good footwork, league-wide respected, still commanding double teams from weak teams, and bang with any other big in the league SHAQ!!!! I'd let Marving go to CLE for more cap space. But to get Shaq and save some or all of our Mid-Level sounds great to me.

I want Shaq too but all he is a 20 minute a night center off the bench who will be lucky to play 50 games. He is not starter material anymore for top 8 NBA team.

Edited by coachx

If they're smart, the Hawks would use the TPE to acquire Jamario Moon in this trade:

Shaq/Moon -for- Marvin.

I thought you couldn't combine the TPE with a player? Or would you do it as 2 separate deals? Marvin for Shaq and our TPE for Moon?

I thought you couldn't combine the TPE with a player? Or would you do it as 2 separate deals? Marvin for Shaq and our TPE for Moon?

yeah it would have to be two separate deals but would probably take a future 2nd rd pick or something to get them to agree

• Moderators

Or would you do it as 2 separate deals? Marvin for Shaq and our TPE for Moon?

That is how you would do it.

On Smoove being the worst perimeter defender in the entire NBA last season, what is that based on?

I say do it.We get rid of the 4 year contract of a non impact player.

We could replace Marvin's 10 and 5 with a 1 year contract with one of these guys

Damien Wilkins

Tim Thomas

Jarvis Hayes

Jerry Stackhouse

Bobby Simmons

Matt Barnes

Rodney Carney

Michael Finley

Larry Hughes

What does Josh Howard or Richard Jefferson expect to get? Could we possibly use our MLE for one of them? If so, you have to do this deal!

Bibby/Teague

Johnson/Craw/Craw Jr.

Howard or RJ/Evans

Smith/Horford

Horford/Shaq/ZaZa

I think that's an improvement over last year's team.

On Smoove being the worst perimeter defender in the entire NBA last season, what is that based on?

Perhaps they meant to say "perimeter shooter" rather then "perimeter defender." While Smoove is a poor perimeter defender the title of NBA's Worst Perimeter Defender clearly goes to Mike Bibby. :sobbing:

Edited by coachx

i agree.........the hawks must do that to have a true SF if marvin leaves.

While I'd rather see us get a true SF, I don't think that's necessarily a prerequisite to this deal (and no, I'm not saying let's start Smoove @ SF).

PG-Bibby or Teague (preferably Teague because of defense)

SG-Crawford Sr.

SF-Johnson

PF-Smith

C-Horford

That frees up a little of the logjam at SG/SF. Minutes could be something like this....

PG-Teague 20, Bibby 24, Crawford Sr. 4

SG-Crawford Sr. 28, Crawford Jr. 20

SF-Johnson 36 Evans 12

PF-Smoove 34 Horford 14

C-Horford 20, Shaq 18, ZaZa 10

While I'd rather see us get a true SF, I don't think that's necessarily a prerequisite to this deal (and no, I'm not saying let's start Smoove @ SF).

SG-Crawford Sr.

SF-Johnson

PF-Smith

C-Horford

That frees up a little of the logjam at SG/SF. Minutes could be something like this....

SF-Johnson 36 Evans 12

PF-Smoove 34 Horford 14

I like JoJo at 3, especially if he gets to save energy by guarding 3s instead of 1/2s.

SG-Crawford Sr.

SF-Johnson

PF-Smith

C-Horford

SF-Johnson 36 Evans 12

PF-Smoove 34 Horford 14

Or this, I always thought this would be our best lineup by moving JJ to SF.

I like JoJo at 3, especially if he gets to save energy by guarding 3s instead of 1/2s.

Notice I didn't give JJ any minutes at SG? If Craw Jr. or Sr. is having a rough night, he could get some there, but I like him being fresh at the end of a game (and end of the season).

Hell to the no

Hawks need assets. If the hawks can get him without giving up anything - the purpose of the mle - then so be it

What if you could use the MLE to get a product SF? It's been said so many times that SF is the easiest position to fill in the NBA. Use the MLE for it rather than the most difficult position to fill in the NBA. Just a thought. Of course, Marvin could go to Cleveland and become the next LeBron (lol)