• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks close to signing Josh Powell

5ATL15

North you are speaking about Shaq's numbers as if they dwarf Horf's and Smoove's numbers, they don't. He shot 56% to Horfs 55% and scored 4 more points PER 36 on 3 more shots with an assload more FTAs as well. You keep running those PER36s but you keep omitting the shot attempts all while he is hogging up a quarter of his team's offensive possessions to do it. Clearly he's not more efficient when he's using up more possessions to come up with a lower PER and assorted advanced stats than our duo. Do you get that? He used more touches to produce those numbers you are so proudly throwing around. Your solution is that he will somehow magically lower his touches to unheard of career lows and still be impactful when he barely scores at a better rate and rebounds at the same clip as our undersized center? That's full of holes so your next solution is to get at Jamal (again) and have him submit to Shaq's "dominance" because of your groundbreaking analysis that a big shoots a higher FG% than a guard. Might as well throw Joe under that bus too, have him make way for the HOFer. Oh wait, both guards have higher TS% than Shaq. Do you not see a problem here? You want a guy at all costs who was not a game changer in stats or wins to come here and continue to play the only way he knows how when it is not only disruptive to everyone else but also not as effective? Top ten center in a pathetic era of Cs is not something to be proud of and yes his on court production can be questioned to the point where it's obvious teams have evaluated that it's not worth the off the court drama. Next time you look at his numbers again do it with the * for as a starting number 2 option. You seem to think that its just his personality that's keeping him off teams.

I have never suggested that Shaq could come in and replace Horford in the starting lineup. The follow-up post by Buzz hits it right on the money. The minute we sigh Shaq, he effectively replaces all of those scrubs at the bench, and gives us a player that can still play the game.

Shaq isn't going to start anywhere he goes, unless it's in Boston or Miami. And he'll only start there until Perkins comes back. If he goes to Chicago, he's not starting ahead of Noah. So if he came here, he's not starting ahead of Horford either.

The fact that Shaq's numbers are comparable to Horford's illustrates what his worth could be to this team on BOTH ends of the court. Plus, by playing alongside Shaq, Horford and Smoove could become better players.

And it's straight up BS to say that Shaq's presence made the team he went to worse, simply because they posted a worse record. Shaq did exactly what he was brought it to do at Phoenix and at Cleveland. But you can definitely see where others didn't do their job, hence, the declining record.

As Buzz said . .. Shaq effectively replaces Zaza, RandMo, and Collins all in one stroke . . . and he gives us another rotational player to add to the arsenal. He's not going to be featured anywhere he goes. That's just rumor and agent-speak right there.

Ownership won't take the risk though, so it's a dead issue to me.

A couple OT notes:

(a) very smart move cutting bait with his ex-girlfriend, recently busted for allegedly transporting coke in Norfolk.

(b) despite his upset loss to Werdum a couple weeks ago, Fedor received these lovely parting gifts after the match (jump to 2:00)

(c ) Two degrees of separation: Rumors indicate that J-Pow was the high school-era boyfriend referenced in an MTV "When I Was 17" episode by eventual superstar singer Ciara. Her "Never Ever" video prominently features Al Horford in a cameo role.

~lw3

:help wanted: I'm confused

What world do you live in?

It's only been 4 days, and he's supposed to be signing Monday(tomorrow).

That's funny. I have to admit it does seem like much longer than 4 days. I laughed when I went back and looked at the first post.

I have never suggested that Shaq could come in and replace Horford in the starting lineup. The follow-up post by Buzz hits it right on the money. The minute we sigh Shaq, he effectively replaces all of those scrubs at the bench, and gives us a player that can still play the game.

Shaq isn't going to start anywhere he goes, unless it's in Boston or Miami. And he'll only start there until Perkins comes back. If he goes to Chicago, he's not starting ahead of Noah. So if he came here, he's not starting ahead of Horford either.

The fact that Shaq's numbers are comparable to Horford's illustrates what his worth could be to this team on BOTH ends of the court. Plus, by playing alongside Shaq, Horford and Smoove could become better players.

And it's straight up BS to say that Shaq's presence made the team he went to worse, simply because they posted a worse record. Shaq did exactly what he was brought it to do at Phoenix and at Cleveland. But you can definitely see where others didn't do their job, hence, the declining record.

As Buzz said . .. Shaq effectively replaces Zaza, RandMo, and Collins all in one stroke . . . and he gives us another rotational player to add to the arsenal. He's not going to be featured anywhere he goes. That's just rumor and agent-speak right there.

Ownership won't take the risk though, so it's a dead issue to me.

Starting Shaq should not be "out of the question". Shaq starting with Josh at the 3 should be a consideration. Josh at the three is better than Marvin at the three. Shaq starting is better than Marvin starting. And of course if Marvin is moved the question is a certainty.

• Moderators

http://www.hawksbasketblog.com/2010/07/26/powell-a-good-sign/

Powell: A Good Sign

Monday, July 26, 2010

By Jon Newberry

The Hawks announced on Monday afternoon that they have officially added free agent big man Josh Powell to their roster. Powell, a two-time NBA Champion with the L.A. Lakers, is a good signing AND a good sign for the Hawks organization.

~lw3

Edited by lethalweapon3