• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

I just got some Inside Info from Sekou!

gutz

So I live in the Vinings/Smyrna area right off exit 17 South Atlanta Rd in the West Village and was down at my local Kroger store and run into Sekou Smith shopping tonight. I stopped and talked to him for about 20min. on everything Hawks basketball. Main thing he told me that no one apparently knows about is he said Jamal Crawford is planning on holding out of training camp to demand a contract extension. He said just wait till training camp opens and he has heard Crawford won't show up. Seemed like a real down to earth guy and tells like it is. I always liked him as the blog guy for ajc covering the Hawks before he went to NBA TV which is also in Atlanta. We are screwed if Crawford tries to hold out.

The ship be sinkin'

Two things came to mind first:

1) Neither Sund nor the ASG will budge off Al being the priority leaving Jamal in the cold.

2) News like this could ruin some of our leverage of trading his expiring deal. He has to be viewed as just that, an expiring deal because unless a team is sold on him and his talent in the long run he is just as likely to commit the same actions with them in regards to his contract demands and not perform.

Then I came to my senses and realized this is the NBA, holdouts are neither common nor effective especially considering that he wants an extension. If he just wanted out of Atlanta, sure. To get more money? No.

It's within his best interest to put up numbers and play than holdout if he wants other teams and us to deem him worthy of a lucrative offer.

• Premium Member

So I live in the Vinings/Smyrna area right off exit 17 South Atlanta Rd in the West Village and was down at my local Kroger store and run into Sekou Smith shopping tonight. I stopped and talked to him for about 20min. on everything Hawks basketball. Main thing he told me that no one apparently knows about is he said Jamal Crawford is planning on holding out of training camp to demand a contract extension. He said just wait till training camp opens and he has heard Crawford won't show up. Seemed like a real down to earth guy and tells like it is. I always liked him as the blog guy for ajc covering the Hawks before he went to NBA TV which is also in Atlanta. We are screwed if Crawford tries to hold out.

That doesn't seem to fit Crawford's character.

I think Craw is too much of a professional to hold out... I may be wrong, but I just don't see him doing that. The test is that Camp will start up in about a month. We shall see then.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

The ship be sinkin'

Two things came to mind first:

1) Neither Sund nor the ASG will budge off Al being the priority leaving Jamal in the cold.

2) News like this could ruin some of our leverage of trading his expiring deal. He has to be viewed as just that, an expiring deal because unless a team is sold on him and his talent in the long run he is just as likely to commit the same actions with them in regards to his contract demands and not perform.

Then I came to my senses and realized this is the NBA, holdouts are neither common nor effective especially considering that he wants an extension. If he just wanted out of Atlanta, sure. To get more money? No.

It's within his best interest to put up numbers and play than holdout if he wants other teams and us to deem him worthy of a lucrative offer.

Of course, I'm skeptical. However, you make a few points that I have to consider.

1st point you make...

Al's going into free agency with Craw. He had to see what happened when Sund dealt with Smoove and Chillz at the same time and Al is a priority. Maybe Craw wants to get his paper work done before it gets to that point.

2nd point.. You didn't make but:

New CBA will be in effect next offseason or we will be in a lockout. Either way, the haves have and the have nots have not. There's no telling how the deals will shake out.

This thing is growing teeth in my mind. It makes too much sense for Craw to push the envelope. However, nobody makes friends with FO by holding out. This is where my skepticism comes back:

I heard Craw say recently (while interviewed) that he wants to continue to play for the Hawks beyond this season.

Craw wants an extension, I wonder if he'd take a re-structured deal? Maybe a backloaded deal ala Camby? Such a deal would allow us to resign him and still have the wherewithall to resign Horf.

My personal belief though is that the new CBA will not have a LT. Just a high hard Salary Cap with Bird rights for a few players.

Of course, I'm skeptical. However, you make a few points that I have to consider.

1st point you make...

Al's going into free agency with Craw. He had to see what happened when Sund dealt with Smoove and Chillz at the same time and Al is a priority. Maybe Craw wants to get his paper work done before it gets to that point.

2nd point.. You didn't make but:

New CBA will be in effect next offseason or we will be in a lockout. Either way, the haves have and the have nots have not. There's no telling how the deals will shake out.

This thing is growing teeth in my mind. It makes too much sense for Craw to push the envelope. However, nobody makes friends with FO by holding out. This is where my skepticism comes back:

I heard Craw say recently (while interviewed) that he wants to continue to play for the Hawks beyond this season.

Craw wants an extension, I wonder if he'd take a re-structured deal? Maybe a backloaded deal ala Camby? Such a deal would allow us to resign him and still have the wherewithall to resign Horf.

My personal belief though is that the new CBA will not have a LT. Just a high hard Salary Cap with Bird rights for a few players.

There should be severe consequences for players that do this.

I agree with you Diesel as i just can't see Crawford holding out. But Sekou seemed pretty darn sure of it when I said no way Crawford would do that. But apparently with the new CBA coming in next year Craw is desperate to get something done now.

The Hawks are really not in a great position with Jamal Crawford at this point. Yes, they pretty much control him for the year, and his contract will be an attractive trading piece for the team. However, Jamal showed his true value this past season is as a sixth man, though a 6th man that was asked to be the main scoring threat when he wasn't on the floor with Joe Johnson. Jamal just had the best season of his career as a 6th man. Because of this, I think it is unlikely that the Hawks will get the value he actually gave him this past season in a trade unless he is attached to someone else in a deal that brings back a star player. Jamal posted 7.3 win shares and 0.143 WS/48 this past season, both are career highs. It is highly unlikely that the Hawks will get a 7-8 WS player in return for Jamal Crawford. Maybe there will be a team out there though that will look at Jamal's season last year and think that he will be the difference between them making the playoffs or not.

When was the last time an NBA player went through a hold out? I cannot remember, but this seems extremely out of character for Jamal. Not sure if I believe this.

• Premium Member

When was the last time an NBA player went through a hold out? I cannot remember, but this seems extremely out of character for Jamal. Not sure if I believe this.

The last case I remember is Stevie Franchise. The NBA doesn't really give you a reason to hold out. I figure it's rare that a guy wants to hold out in order to stay with the team he's playing for. Usually, it's the other way around.

Sekou did not say he "planned to hold out". He did say "no one should be surprised if it happens." Obviously, he cannot say anything on the record about that. Otherwise, he'd have written it already.

So Sekou did not say Jamal has planned such.

Well he can holdout. But, it would serve no purpose for him to do so. The team can fine him for not coming to mandatory camp. Then when games start he won't get paid. He's a free agent if he completes this year, but if he holds out they can delay his free agency. Not to mention that this is his last/best chance to get a big contract. If he is a trouble maker he is less likely to get payed. If Sekou said this I think he might be a little crazy. Free Agency is what players in the NBA live for. Why would he jeopardize that?

• Like 2

LOL Jamal Crawford is not going to holdout anyone who has ever heard him speak one word knows that not to be true . After looking back over the numbers next summer will be Jamals only time in his career that he gets to go to any team he chooses . Its in his best interests to show up win 6th man of the year again and wait for the offers as he will be one of the biggest names on the market .

• Premium Member

I would be shocked if Crawford held out. He's one of the most respected individuals in the NBA with how he carries himself and the pure class he shows. This isn't a rookie in the NFL holding out for a better deal because he doesn't have a contract or a guy with one year looking for a new deal. He's under contract for one more season. He has no power at all to hold out.

All that being said I've always assumed we would use him as a trade piece this year to get something for him.

• Like 1

Sekou did not say he "planned to hold out". He did say "no one should be surprised if it happens." Obviously, he cannot say anything on the record about that. Otherwise, he'd have written it already.

So Sekou did not say Jamal has planned such.

Uh, that is what the original message said. See highlight.

Now, I agree that this sounds very much out of character from what little I know of Jamal Crawford. He always seems to be a "classy" guy. If he does hold out, I'll really be disappointed.

Oh well, we'll see what happens.

I agree with everyone else here as I just can't see Jamal holding out and i've never really seen an NBA player do this anyways. I said this to Sekou and he said just wait till training camp and you will see! So i don't know. I'm just relaying info from Sekou's mouth