• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Would we have choosen Durant over Horford?

Diesel

• Premium Member

Back when we drafted Horford, there was a lot of talk about Yi moving into the top 3. Imagine if somebody would have gambled on him at 2 or 1. And somehow Durant becomes available.

Would we have choosen Durant at 3 or would we have stuck with the much needed Center?

Back when we drafted Horford, there was a lot of talk about Yi moving into the top 3. Imagine if somebody would have gambled on him at 2 or 1. And somehow Durant becomes available.

Would we have choosen Durant at 3 or would we have stuck with the much needed Center?

Durant because he could play 3 or 4! But it would have been a real surprise if he didn't get picked 1 or 2 because him and Oden were suppose to be a lock at those picking positions.

If I remember Knights comments correctly he said in his Billy Knight way that they would have taken Durant and traded either him or Marv. He also said in his Billy Knight way he would have taken Oden at #1.

• Moderators

Durant because he could play 3 or 4! But it would have been a real surprise if he didn't get picked 1 or 2 because him and Oden were suppose to be a lock at those picking positions.

You mean he can play the 2 or 3 right? I don't think he's a 4. In any case if we had missed on Durant that would suck.

• Admin

...back then it was considered Oden and Durant and then the rest of the draft.

• Premium Member

Agreed. We would have taken Durant. Knowing what we know now, we wouldn't have had the chance to take either of them.

True indeed. It would have been:

1. Durant

2. Horford

3. Oden???

That would've sucked. Oden still has potential, but he's made of glass. That pick would've gotten BK shown the door faster than he did.

• Moderators

True indeed. It would have been:

1. Durant

2. Horford

3. Oden???

That would've sucked. Oden still has potential, but he's made of glass. That pick would've gotten BK shown the door faster than he did.

With the benefit of hindsight, Joakim Noah probably jumps over Oden.

• Premium Member

With the benefit of hindsight, Joakim Noah probably jumps over Oden.

Yeah, you're right. Noah would've actually been a pretty decent pick for the Hawks though. He has a fire to his game that I've always liked. I still can't fault Portland for taking Oden though. He looked like he was going to be a MONSTER in the paint for the next 10-15 years. But using hindsight, a Horf/ Aldridge frontcourt would've been pretty darn good too. I wonder If OKC would've jumped on Oden had he fell to #2? That would've left us with Durant. WOW.

If I remember correctly, before the lottery we were projected at the #4 pick(which would have gone to Phoenix). I'm not sure where Portland and Seattle were projected at, but I believe they were projected lower than the #4 pick. I'm almost positive that Atlanta had the highest chance of having the #1 pick when it came down to the last 3 teams.

I don't want to think about it, but we were really close on getting Kevin Durant. We would have had ourselves a true franchise player to build around for years. We needed to be the #2 pick in order for us to have picked Durant though. If Seattle or Portland had the #1 pick, they would have picked Oden.

• Premium Member

interesting topic, or what if oden and horford were taken, do we still draft durant at third?

From earlier posts, I'd have to say the answer to that question is yes. The bigger queston is whether we would've traded Durant or Marvin afterwards. It was suggested earlier that was BK's thought process at the time. Could you imagine BK deciding to trade Durant in order to keep Marvin only to watch Durant be who he is right now???? :cant believe: