• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Teague getting " The Dog"!

Diesel

• Premium Member

Atlanta Hawks: Van Exel helping Teague find his inner ‘dog’

4:25 pm September 29, 2010, by Michael Cunningham

Hawks want Teague to attack like Van Exel.

Hawks want Teague to attack like Van Exel.

They called Nick Van Exel “Nick the Quick” during his playing days because of his speed, and in that way Jeff Teague is similar to Van Exel.

But Van Exel also had what L.D. calls an “edge” and “played with a chip on his shoulder.” Teague doesn’t have that so L.D. brought in Van Exel to help him find it.

“We call it ‘the dog’ in the NBA,” Van Exel said. “We are trying to bring that dog out of him.”

For Van Exel, the dog was a natural thing. You saw it in his brashness, his attacking style and his knack for taking and making buzzer-beating shots. Of course, sometimes it could be tough to contain Van Exel’s “dog”–he had a history of untimely technical fouls and a rep for difficult relations with coaches and teammates–but you could never say Van Exel wasn’t aggressive.

These things don’t come naturally for Teague.

“He’s kind of a quiet kid,” Van Exel said. “He likes to joke around and have fun. But there are times when somebody makes him mad, and he is just blowing by guys. And we are like, ‘Man, you’ve got to to that all the time.’

“He can do it. He has those skills. We are thinking about maybe going up to him and making him mad before every game, making up stuff just to get him going.”

You see flashes of fire in Teague. During one of the informal pickup games last week Bibby called a foul on Teague, who thought his block was clean. Teague angrily protested the call and in the next few possessions attacked the basket with zeal. His banter with Bibby continued in locker room, and though it was in that half-joking, half-serious tone, there was no doubt Teague was still ticked about the call.

Hawks coaches want to see that spark all the time.

“He has all the tools,” Van Exel said. “It’s just a matter of him bringing an aggressive style and approach to the game every night. Skill-wise, I think he is up there with the best of them. He can shoot it. He can get in the lane anytime he wants. He can break the defense down. He has all the skills.”

Van Exel retired from playing after the 2005-06 season. He ranked among the league’s top eight in assists for five different seasons and the top 10 in 3-pointers made in four seasons.

Van Exel said he had planned to take a couple years off after his retirement and then get an NBA coaching gig but that didn’t work out. He was an assistant coach at Texas Southern in Houston when L.D. called.

“This is really I wanted to be,” he said. “It is great to be back [in the league].”

• Like 1

Drew's staff particularly Conner, Gattison and "the Quick", have a reputation of "edginess". That coupled with Al and Josh as captains, with Etan, Zaza, Collins and JC2, this sets up to be a very testy time in this training camp. Drew is demanding extreme conditioning guys will be in each others faces.

We will see who engages and who shrinks.

My bet is Jamal, Al, JC2 and Etan do engage.

• Admin

Boy this reads like a marvin williams article from 2 years ago.

I want to see an aggressive Teague but more importantly I want to see a Teague that runs an offense. I want him to get teammates involved and make them better. That will one of the keys to the success of this team. I don't want another Jason Terry who can score but really is a shooting guard in a point guards body.

Edited by capstone21

I dont like the sound of that one bit . These are not things you normally are trying to work out with natural point guards but instead are the types of things you say when you are build up the confidence of a scoring guard .

Nick was a good player but he was a ball dominator the very thing we supposedly are getting away from and loved shooting his threes .

What I dont get is why not just hire Mark Price last year and have him be Teagues personal tutor just imagine how far along he would be now .

Edited by Crank

• Premium Member

I dont like the sound of that one bit . These are not things you normally are trying to work out with natural point guards but instead are the types of things you say when you are build up the confidence of a scoring guard .

Nick was a good player but he was a ball dominator the very thing we supposedly are getting away from and loved shooting his threes .

What I dont get is why not just hire Mark Price last year and have him be Teagues personal tutor just imagine how far along he would be now .

I don't disagree that Teague is more a scoring Gaurd but look, we have NVE, Bibby, JC, and LD there to mold him into a hybrid guard. Our motion offense will not require John Stockton. I am very excited that NVE has evaluated and said that Teague has the goods. I just hope that Teague doesn't pull a Marvin on us.

Teague's work ethic this summer has impressed me. To know that he was in Atlanta for the most part of the summer and working out and putting shots in, shows that he does have the desire to get better. The work ethic is there, but we will have to see if he'll still played scared once we start seeing some games.

I think Teague has skills to be a good point guard, but does he have the intangibles like a Rajon Rondo has...the toughness and the attitude of not being afraid of the big moment and being the floor leader of of a team with a lot more experience than him. That intangible is what separates players like a Russell Westbrook from a Rondo.

People need to stop using Teague and Rondo in the same sentence. They are nowhere near the same player.

Teague wasn't a true PG at Wake Forest. He was more of a scoring guard. So he's probably going to assume a similar role with the Hawks. Expecting him to be a playmaking PG right from the jump, is probably unrealistic.

If his role in the beginning is that of a scoring guard than a true point guard, it's OK . . . as long as he's somewhat efficient in the scoring role. Maybe Teague will be more like Jeryad(sp) Bayless in Portland.

• Like 1

Teague's work ethic this summer has impressed me. To know that he was in Atlanta for the most part of the summer and working out and putting shots in, shows that he does have the desire to get better. The work ethic is there, but we will have to see if he'll still played scared once we start seeing some games.

I think Teague has skills to be a good point guard, but does he have the intangibles like a Rajon Rondo has...the toughness and the attitude of not being afraid of the big moment and being the floor leader of of a team with a lot more experience than him. That intangible is what separates players like a Russell Westbrook from a Rondo.

Good point about Teague's work ethic. He worked on his jumper last season despite being demotivated by Woodson all year long.

OT: But I can't disagree more on Westbrook. He was a stud in the playoffs thanks to leadership qualities he showed on the court.

Teague on the other hand doesn't have to be the leader. Jeff's role it to initiate offense most of the time. JJ is payed to be the guy when it matters the most. That's what Bryants, Wades and Jamses of the league do.