• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Josh Smith Trade Rumors Thread

Guest Squawker

So Jamal is worth more than Smith now?

Come on man. Jamal is the one who didn't get the extension. He's the expendible one out of the two.

Between Jamal and Mo Evans, we have 12.5 or 12.6 million coming off the books. Depending on how Horford's contract is structured, he could make as little as 10 mill next year, or as much as over 14 mill ( if the Hawks frontload his contract )

( capologists . . please verify this please )

What we need to do, is find a legit center who can play up to 25 minutes a night, that could allow us to keep Smith and play Horford more at PF.

Bibby, Smith, JJ, Horford, ZaZa, and Marvin get the usual pay increases that eat up the salaries of Crawford and Mo coming off the books. (Horford's raise alone is nearly $7 mill).

Atlanta appers to be over the cap next year even if Crawford's & Evans' rights are given up to terminate their capholds. According to http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=9154 , Atlanta already has $64.14 mill in committed payroll next year BEFORE capholds. The luxury tax is $70.3 mill for 2010-11. Who knows whether it will go up or down in the next CBA or how it might be structured differently. Since the current CBA expires at the end of the season it makes GM's jobs a guessing game going foward as where the cap will be and if there will a seperate luxury tax limit like there is now. The term "hard cap" get floated around but I don't see a chance of that happening since it makes it IMPOSSIBLE for teams to retain star players.

Edited by coachx

No offense to the poster but man you are dead wrong if you think Josh is going anywhere!! For 1 the ASG loves this guy even though he may not even be our best player! 2nd Smith Im sure is putting more people in seats than johnson is and johnson is a all-star!. Now i like smith just as much as any hawk but i knw for sure that they will NOT move smith or horford these two players are the future of this team. Johnson, Jamal, and Bibby are all in their 30's! Josh and Al are about 24-25 and they have impact on the floor. We may be undersized but these are 2 all-stars and we all know it. If anything this is a simple BYE-BYE Jamal and I really hate to say that but letting jamal walk keeps the hawks under the lux tax! read between the lines. So new question who do you think the ASG will let walk first Jamal or Josh?...........Jamal all day!

• Moderators

IF we did trade Smoove, Marvin for Love, Brewer, and Flynn. I don't think it will be all bad.

Resign Jamal for something like 4 year 38.5.

Kevin Love, Al Horf, Brewer, Joe, and Flynn. I know it's a learning curve, but I think Flynn would do well in our system.

Love could play Center for one reason. Those killer outlet passes. I envision Outlets to Flynn then Joe up the court to Brewer for a monster dunk. Then I realize, it's Smoove that should be getting those monster dunks.

Honestly though, I have not be impressed with Smoove in the new offense. He seems missing or doing his own thing. Everybody else seems to be in the flow of the offense. I would hate to see Smoove go as his athleticism goes.

I think he's got a long time before his athleticism goes but who can predict i guess.

I don't think its just Smoove that doesn't look comfortable in the new offense i think its whoever is playing 4 and 5. And to some extend 3. I think this is because they haven't totally gotten comfortable with what to do without the ball and our guards bibby, jj, crawford have been trained for the last 2+ years to get the ball and score it. So they are looking good passing around the perimeter and moving without the ball but they aren't necesarily looking to pass to the bigs. It will come though.

No to trading Josh.

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2010/11/02/smith-in-the-trade-mix/

Now Sekou's reporting it too! This is too good to be true!

"We went roughly one week without a juicy trade rumor to chew on. Then came Monday’s news that the Hawks had agreed to a contract extension with All-Star center Al Horford (five years, $60 million) and the rumors began to fly.

Hawks power forward Josh Smith is the man caught in the crosshairs, with most people wondering if it makes sense to move him now or later (how about never?) or move someone else?"

• Like 1

After reading his article, seems like he thinks it would be a rather dumb move. Only logic I can see to it would be if they really beleive that ZaZa's first few games show he belongs in the starting lineup at center, allowing Al to move to PF. Not sure that really convinces me. (Course, depends on what they get in return.)

After reading his article, seems like he thinks it would be a rather dumb move. Only logic I can see to it would be if they really beleive that ZaZa's first few games show he belongs in the starting lineup at center, allowing Al to move to PF. Not sure that really convinces me. (Course, depends on what they get in return.)

Why don't we do this more often anyway? At around the beginning of the 2nd quarter run

Pachulia

Horford

Marvin

Crawford

Bibby

It seems a few may be to the point where he would give Smoove away for nothing. I'm not there yet.

For example.......If Smoove is traded for for perhaps Tyson Chandler's expiring contract I would be pissed......even though Chandler is a true center its just not enough talent coming back and any picks from Dallas would be pure crap in the high 20's.

Why don't we do this more often anyway? At around the beginning of the 2nd quarter run

Pachulia

Horford

Marvin

Crawford

Bibby

B/C its worst defensive backcourt in the league !

It seems a few may be to the point where he would give Smoove away for nothing. I'm not there yet.

For example.......If Smoove is traded for for perhaps Tyson Chandler's expiring contract I would be pissed......even though Chandler is a true center its just not enough talent coming back and any picks from Dallas would be pure crap in the high 20's.

B/C its worst defensive backcourt in the league !

and yet we play them together in the 4th. I think it would balance out if not tilt our way offensively.

I agree we shouldn't give up Smoove for nothing, but I have been saying for 2 years that trading Smith for a starting C would be the best move we could make. We have 2 power forwards and we just resigned the better one to another 5 years.

Bye Bye Josh. Go throw up bricks somewhere else!

• Like 2

and yet we play them together in the 4th. I think it would balance out if not tilt our way offensively.

We gave up a bunch of 4th quarter leads last year with that lineup. It happened over and over and over. Finally Woody started putting Marvin back in the at the end of games for Bibby if Bibby wasn't hot and they stopped so many late collapses.

• Premium Member

Jamal is probably the most important player on our team after JJ. He is one of the FEW guys that actually drive the lane.

And Jamal plays well on the road (unlike Josh).

Let Josh walk and lets take this team up to the next level!

Josh Smith led the team in PER and was second in win shares last season. What is wrong with you?

• Like 2

I don't understand the money situation, but the opinion is we can't afford all these guys under contract...so how do we keep getting contracts done? We're locking up all of our "core" guys, so why would Smoove be the odd man out when we made a point to keep him? It has to be Craws...dumping his salary helps us to keep Smoove somehow.....

ok WTF....sekou clearly is stating that he thinks trading smith is a dumb move at the moment so like many are saying he agrees with us as far as keeping him unllike chad ford who hardly covers the hawks think we are about to trade him now but little does he know the hawks probably arent even thinking about that. what they are thinking is what the hell are we going to do with craword now let him walk or trade him and get some peices for him and not just let him walk!