• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks vs Suns

exodus

Horford actually did an incredible job on Nash, but with ~24 seconds left in a tied ball game, Bibby should NEVER be guarding a center in the post. Even one as weak as Frye. That's just a huge failure on our defense. It's disappointing to see some great shooting performances go to waste.

Our undoing tonight was due to two things:

We fell behind early and spent all game trying to claw back

We didn't play a lick of defense. Nor did we get defensive stops once we clawed back.

The lack of consistent defense by us will continue to crush us against the better teams. And with ORL next, we might be in trouble. Offense didn't lose it for us tonight...the defense did.

Yeah, the Suns were hot from three all game, but we couldn't stop a snail all game. And what was up with the switching late game? Bibby on Frye with seconds left? Really?!

This team has gone from one extreme to the other. They were a team that ignored offense and emphasized defense, and now they are a team that emphasizes offense and largely ignores defense. The ignoring the defense part is something that I have harped on all offseason. While many fans were hung up on getting a center that could guard Dwight Howard, I focused on the Hawks real problem - their lack of any semblence of perimeter defense. Guys, everytime Mike Bibby and Jamal Crawford are on the floor together, this team gets lit up. With Marvin out, the Hawks have no one but Jeff Teague that offers them any hope of perimeter defense. Joe Johnson is average at best as a defender, and neither Bibby nor Crawford can guard a chair.

Another point that I want to make is that Al Horford once again proved that he is this team's best player. He is not only their most efficient scoring threat, best rebounder, and best low post defender, he is also the team's best perimeter defender. Al finished the night with 30 points, 10 rebounds, 5 assists, 2 blocks, 1 steal, and 1 turnover. He scored 4 fewer points than Joe Johnson on 11 fewer shots. I said it when they made the move. It would have been much more financially fiscal long term had the Hawks let Joe Johnson walk and built this team around Al Horford and Josh Smith.

I hate Bibby so much right now. He really is not good. His defense is an abomination. You guys can talk all you want but v. good teams with good to great PG's, he gets exposed badly. He's the issue for this team, not the center position. As for Crawford, he did what he does. But Bibby is a major issue. I think Horford did a good job defensively. I also think that Drew will see that his Bibby/Craw combo just doesn't work. It's either one or the other. I would do Craw/Joe/Marv/Smith/Horf or Bibby/Joe/Smith/Horf/Zaza or Craw/Joe/Marv/Smith/Horf but no more Bibby/Craw because defense is an issue. A trade for a PG in a must come Jan or Feb.

Was a good effort by the Hawks. Can'tr really bad mad at them because the effort was there for the most part. The main problem was leaving Bibby in on defense on that last Suns possession when Frye scored on him. He should have been out of the game for the defensive play, and they could have taken a time out if the Suns missed and subbed him back in. He's the worst defensive player on our team so why would he be in there on defense in the closing seconds. A bit too many ISO Joe's in the 4th quarter too. Oh well. Sucks we have to play the Magic in Orlando on a back to back. I wish I could be optimistic about tomorrow night's matchup.

• Premium Member

Yeah the game was lost in the first half.

At least they looked like a real team in the 2nd half but they weren't playing Minny or Detroit tonight. JJ broke out of his slump and Horford had a huge night.

No. I think we made it a game in the 3rd. I think that they just hit big shots down the stretch. I'm proud of my Hawks because it could have been easy for them to just lay down but instead, they fought.

I would like to see us play better defense. I think Defense takes more time than offense. Offense is about preparation whereas defense is about preparation and effort. Every player knows how to play offense naturally, but defense is something that is learned. Especially team defense.

• Like 1

Drew's explanation for the switching, per MC's blog:

“The thing that hurt us as far as the switches, we couldn’t match up the way we wanted to match up if you don’t have perimeters when they go small,” he said. “You have to go small along with them, especially when you play big and playing big is not effective. Tonight was a clear case how bad we needed a Marvin or a Mo so we could look at going a lot smaller and trying some other things defensively.”

Indeed it does hurt not having a legitimate small forward to plug in there.

Some switches were purly Horford's fault. He failed to notice that JJ/Mike got his man again and missed a possibility to come back to his guy. Pros to Nash though - he didn't miss a single opportunity to make good play.

Smooth left his man open at perimeter too many times.

That missed open lay up by Zaza was just horrible.

Play when the score was 114-112 should have be planned for Al, or drive and dish for open 3. Going to JJ was too predictable and I think he'd been playing the whole 2nd half.

Still, an exciting game, great 3rd quarter, Joe, Al and Josh proved their values again, too little support from bench (Powell missed 3 open lay ups) outside of Teague and Jamal.

To be honest, I don't think Horford on Nash was a mistake for what was on the court. It's sad but I trust Horford on Nash more than Jamal, Joe who can't guard really quick players in fact I think we will lose the series v. GS because of it, Smith, and Bibby couldn't guard a wooden stool. As for Teague, he's too unaware offensively and defensively to trust on the court with less than 5 minutes in the game.

What's upsetting other than defense is that Joe, Al and Josh all had huge games and they still couldn't be a 2nd rate Suns team at HOME.

This team might be in trouble against +.500 teams this year.

No it's not that bad, the Suns like Golden State are offensively dominate teams. They have great shooters and scorers and in Phx case have Nash as a playmaker. They can beat you by shooting lights out. The issue with Atlanta is who should be on the court defensively and defense in general. They will be in trouble v. teams with good to great PG's, without a question. Sund really needs to evaluate that position. I know he's limited by the cap at just making a move for a good PG, but for a very good PG, he isn't but we will see who is available or else mark another year for a second round exit.

What's upsetting other than defense is that Joe, Al and Josh all had huge games and they still couldn't be a 2nd rate Suns team at HOME.

This team might be in trouble against +.500 teams this year.

Of course, we can predict this after one loss. Extrapolating that the team will struggle to beat any if not every decent team throughout the rest of the year. This speaks not of injuries to three rotation players but you can't argue with yet another groundbreaking analysis by Hots.

Why don't you make that prediction after you have a larger body of evidence.

Of course, we can predict this after one loss. Extrapolating that the team will struggle to beat any if not every decent team throughout the rest of the year. This speaks not of injuries to three rotation players but you can't argue with yet another groundbreaking analysis by Hots.

Why don't you make that prediction after you have a larger body of evidence.

Mo Evans and Marvin Williams have contributed little to the Hawks in their careers here. The Hawks have won most of the time when Marvin has ever been out before. The reason is because he is expendable. Same for Mo Evans. What would Mo Evans have helped tonight? He is not a good defender and he was terrible off the bench last season. The Suns don't even have Amare anymore for god sakes. Who did they replace him with???? Hmmm... Hakeem Warrick and an aging overweight Hedo Turk. You're playing at home against a 36 year old Steve Nash and a team of spare parts basically and you still can't even win despite you're 3 best players all having monster games? Yeah, thinks are looking up for sure. Missing two players that aren't even very good is not an excuse for losing at home against the team PHX is putting out there now... ESP when you're three best players all have great games.

This team is a horrible defensive team and Larry Drew is BARELY an upgrade over Woodson. Drew is a second rate Mike D'Antoni. The bad defense will continue because The players lack heart just like they lacked heart against Orlando.

Edited by Hotlanta1981

• Premium Member

Mo Evans and Marvin Williams have contributed little to the Hawks in their careers here. The Hawks have won most of the time when Marvin has ever been out before. The reason is because he is expendable. Same for Mo Evans. What would Mo Evans have helped tonight? He is not a good defender and he was terrible off the bench last season. The Suns don't even have Amare anymore for god sakes. Who did they replace him with???? Hmmm... Hakeem Warrick and an aging overweight Hedo Turk. You're playing at home against a 36 year old Steve Nash and a team of spare parts basically and you still can't even win despite you're 3 best players all having monster games? Yeah, thinks are looking up for sure. Missing two players that aren't even very good is not an excuse for losing at home against the team PHX is putting out there now... ESP when you're three best players all have great games.

This team is a horrible defensive team and Larry Drew is BARELY an upgrade over Woodson. Drew is a second rate Mike D'Antoni. The bad defense will continue because The players lack heart just like they lacked heart against Orlando.

It only took one loss to bring you out! What a surprise!

Edited by AHF

Riiiiiiiiight. Two of the teams better wing defenders were missing but that had no effect on the defense you are criticizing. A defense that was ranked 10th no less before last night's game. No, Hots, continue with your ground breaking analysis. :computer2: