• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Sheldon Williams gets noticed

Randy

16. Etan Thomas, Atlanta Hawks (EF)

EF: A serious human being concerned with political issues. I don't have many rules, but one of them is that it's bad if you're better known for slam poetry than your basketball skills.

BS: In all fairness, Etan was once a perfectly serviceable back-up center, he's just not good enough to have stayed so with age. On a similar note, I pick both Collins brothers.

17. Jason, Jarron, and Sherron Collins. (BS)

EF: Backup Bears QB Todd Collins counts in that group, too.

BS: Also, as with Thomas, the real Collins brothers -- twins, to be exact -- are well-rounded human beings who will have no problem getting on with their lives when, invariably, they find that eventually time conquers all but the tallest heights.

EF: I think what we're finding now is that a lot of these older players aren't really bad, they're just old. Maybe the league is actually not so full of bad players. Even guys at the end of the bench have something to offer.

• Premium Member

Was Shelden the Hawks starting center for a while?

edit:

Well damn!! Seems that Shelden did start 31 games for Woody. When you consider the talent Woody was given it's a miracle he accomplished as much as he did.

Edited by NineOhTheRino
  • Like 2

• Premium Member

edit:

Well damn!! Seems that Shelden did start 31 games for Woody. When you consider the talent Woody was given it's a miracle he accomplished as much as he did.

As I recall, Shelden started when Marvin went down hurt early in '06.

edit:

Where was the miracle? The Hawks were terrible when the talent wasn't there and managed a winning record when it was there. And even then they were terrible in the playoffs. Woodson and Knight deserved each other.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

What seasons do you think that Woody miraculously overachieved above the team's talent level?

53 wins and a playoff series without a PG and Center.

Edited by NineOhTheRino

• Moderators

If that is the one miraculous season, then I assume you think even greater miracles are happening this season in light of the many more injuries and transition in offensive and defensive systems?

I don't find 53 wins to be anything miraculous when you have 4 people for whom a legit argument can be made for the All-Star team. That team met expectations in my mind and then performed miraculously poorly in the playoffs.

• Like 3

• Premium Member

And Sund gets an honorable mention!

Way too many Hawk connections there. Sund, Sheldon, Solo, Etan, Collins. We have had the bottom of the barrel big men recently.

LOL...my immediate thoughts after reading.

• Premium Member

edit:

We won 30 games that season :blink:

No Center?

You mean All Star center, right?

• Like 1

The Hawks are still a very mediocre organisation. We're only benefitting from a ton of high lottery picks after one of the biggest rebuildings ever. You think they're going to do what needs to be done to get to the top? $$$$$$

Love to see a hard cap in all sports. We'd be watching the same players, but coaching, chemistry would be emphasized.