• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

What are these green/red numbers under people's names in posts?

Sothron

• Moderators

Personally, I could care less what the rep is. If someone has something interesting to say that stands on its own regardless of the number by their name. For those who aren't interested in it, I would just ignore it. As much as anything, it is an indication of how much and how long people have posted with the rep system in place. The best posters ever start at 0. For posters who are trying to yank someone else's chain, though, maybe it will make them think twice about that.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Personally, I could care less what the rep is. If someone has something interesting to say that stands on its own regardless of the number by their name. For those who aren't interested in it, I would just ignore it. As much as anything, it is an indication of how much and how long people have posted with the rep system in place. The best posters ever start at 0. For posters who are trying to yank someone else's chain, though, maybe it will make them think twice about that.

You're just fishing for rep points, and you know it.

:snowballfight:

• Like 1

You're just fishing for rep points, and you know it.

:snowballfight:

I think that AHF has the highest rep too so he certainly doesn't need it.

FYI I installed this earlier just to see what the reaction to it would be and I'm surprised a bit by the reactions to it. Personally I like it because it lets you see how you're viewed around here and if you don't like what your rating is then maybe you'll care enough to change the way you post. And if you think that posting bad things about certain players will get you a negative rep just look at Diesel who clearly has an agenda against Marvin and he still has a positive rating. So maybe people should look more into why they're getting a negative rep and not just assuming it's because of saying something bad about a player but maybe it's more so how they're saying it.

Its a good thing that there is limit how many reps you can give a day though.

Yep it's limited to 10 per day positive or negative. You can also click on the persons profile and then on the "stats" tab to see the amount of reputation they've given out positively and negatively.

*There are other stat fields that are not working properly yet though so just ignore them for now.

• Premium Member

i think i went from +8 to -27 with 1 post. I think the post had something to do with me feeling sorry for the Bucks during last season's playoffs.

• Moderators

I lean toward not being a fan of putting it out there, primarily because we'll probably get a wacky band of folks on here trying to out-red each other, seeing just how low you can go without getting banished. If we want to see reps of users we can check their profiles out individually.

Some of those with modest rep numbers should still be highly regarded, because they've been around a much longer time posting more quality stuff than some of us newbies.

~lw3

• Premium Member

i think i went from +8 to -27 with 1 post. I think the post had something to do with me feeling sorry for the Bucks during last season's playoffs.

Wasn't quite that big a swing, but...yeah.

Probably because that post jinxed the Hawks and we didn't play a good game again after that for the rest of the playoffs?? LOL

so i guess we can't critique al horfords play anymore? you should make it where if anyone is in the negatives, they can not (-1) post untill into positive reputations. they would have to earn the (+1), so there will be no more trolling. :snowballfight:

just kidding, but i don't think it's a bad update. i'll still give my honest, non-biased opinions about or beloved hawk players. :go ahead:

edit: also, why can't i capitalize my letters? it's not letting my capitalize any of me words. :help wanted3:

Edited by AHawks89

so i guess we can't critique al horfords play anymore? you should make it where if anyone is in the negatives, they can not (-1) post untill into positive reputations. they would have to earn the (+1), so there will be no more trolling. :snowballfight:

just kidding, but i don't think it's a bad update. i'll still give my honest, non-biased opinions about or beloved hawk players. :go ahead:

edit: also, why can't i capitalize my letters? it's not letting my capitalize any of me words. :help wanted3:

hmm i'm testing a thing to stop shouting (should show in all lowercase) in posts ... looks like it might not work the way i had hoped.

Edit - removed that now since it's an all or nothing setting.

The stats on the reputation system so far are pretty interesting ...

Amount of positive reputations: 10401
Amount of negative reputations: 4479
Member with most positive reputations: Diesel (462)
Member with most negative reputations: MVP23 (301)
Member who gave most reputations: coachx (1157)
Member who received most reputations: Diesel (726)
[/code]

• Premium Member

hmm i'm testing a thing to stop shouting (should show in all lowercase) in posts ... looks like it might not work the way i had hoped.

Edit - removed that now since it's an all or nothing setting.

The stats on the reputation system so far are pretty interesting ...

Amount of positive reputations: 10401
Amount of negative reputations: 4479
Member with most positive reputations: Diesel (462)
Member with most negative reputations: MVP23 (301)
Member who gave most reputations: coachx (1157)
Member who received most reputations: Diesel (726)
[/code]

It would be kinda cool to see more breakdowns of that stuff occasionally. I'd like to know, for instance "most rep points received per post" or "most rep points received over the past week/month/year." Maybe like a once-a-week or once-a-month feature thread. I just don't like having it there on every single post. It really is just asking for people to say "well, I'd -1 that guy, but he already is well in the red so there's really no need" or "I like that guy's post, but he's in the green and I really hate the things he says about JJ, so I'm gonna -1 to knock him down a peg." Etc, etc. It invites people to consider factors other than the quality of the individual posts when handing out positive/negative rep points. That strikes me as not a good thing.

Alternatively, maybe just make it available for Squawk Supporters to see (like the ability to see who reps your posts)?

Edited by niremetal

It would be kinda cool to see more breakdowns of that stuff occasionally. I'd like to know, for instance "most rep points received per post" or "most rep points received over the past week/month/year." I just don't like having it there on every single post. It really is just asking for people to say "well, I'd +1 that guy, but he already is in the green so there's really no need" or "I like that guy's post, but he's in the green and I really hate the things he says about JJ, so I'm gonna -1 to knock him down a peg." Etc, etc. It invites people to consider factors other than the quality of the individual posts when handing out positive/negative rep points. That strikes me as not a good thing.

I will keep an eye out for more features like that with the reputation system. Right now if you're a Squawk Supporter you can click on any profile and view the reputation that they've given and received as well as for what post and when it was given so that's kinda cool.

I remember last year when this system was added the majority of people seemed to be against it and I think for the most part people like it now and I think we'll see the same type of thing happen with being able to see their reputation level easier now. As it was before you had to click on that person's profile and for the most part people don't do that. If it seems like the system is not working I'll be happy to go back to the way it was though.

Alternatively, maybe just make it available for Squawk Supporters to see (like the ability to see who reps your posts)?

Right now it's not something that can be controlled per user group but I will keep an eye out for a mod that changes that.