• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Delusional Hawks

terrellgroup

I can stop posting because I completely get it. I am not insane so I guess I need to reevaluate why am I expecting something different. The Hawks are delusional, none of them are considered serious outside threats including JJ and Crawford. O well.

http://blogs.ajc.com/hawks/2011/03/09/atlanta-hawks-j-j-we-all-are-jump-shooters-thats-pretty-much-what-it-is/?cxntfid=blogs_hawks

That Joe Johnson never ceases to amaze me. Im reluctant to use the phrase "dumb as a brick" as to not offend any bricks out there. I guess now that Josh is a better three point shooter than he is, Josh is a bona fide jumpshooter. Good Lord.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 1

• Moderators

This is all misguided and covering up the real problem. Jump-shooting, no post, get out and run, ball movement blah blah blah. This team has some flaws sure but so do most teams. We are losing because of lack of effort, lack of focus, and flat out bad play. None of the rest matters. When we committ to playing all out we can compete with anybody. These guys have lost the interest or ability to do that. The rest is just excuses.

The good teams make the extra effort every game, every play. Our guys will occasionally get fired up and play tough D or fight for a rebound or not be lazy with the ball, but its only a sometimes thing.

• Like 2

That Joe Johnson never ceases to amaze me. Im reluctant to use the phrase "dumb as a brick" as to not offend any bricks out there. I guess now that Josh is a better three point shooter than he is, Josh is a bona fide jumpshooter. Good Lord.

benhill that quote Joe said really upset me.

I can stop posting because I completely get it. I am not insane so I guess I need to reevaluate why am I expecting something different. The Hawks are delusional, none of them are considered serious outside threats including JJ and Crawford. O well.

http://blogs.ajc.com/hawks/2011/03/09/atlanta-hawks-j-j-we-all-are-jump-shooters-thats-pretty-much-what-it-is/?cxntfid=blogs_hawks

Yipes that whole blog was disturbing as a Hawks fan it sounded like 60+ games into the season the Hawks have not really decided how they are best at attacking a defense. A jump shooting team I can roll with, but the Hawks have to have another dimension if jump shots are not falling. Any good team knows if one part of your game is faltering then diversify your game. Larry Drew I know does not buy into what Joe stated because on many Hawks Live Post games he was very upset about how many ill advised jumpers were attempted preferring drives to the basket.

Honestly...LD needs to just say, "Hey guys, guess what. Drive the ball. You aren't all jump shooters. Thanks."

Problem solved...if they would listen that is.

He could have already been saying this. But if they're not listening to him then he needs to bench them. When Crawford, Joe, or Smoove take some bad shots they need to be subbed out.

Once again, Drew talking the talk but that is all. There have been plenty of stretches where I've seen these guys keep shooting and Drew leaves them in. You're only making the problem worse at that point.

• Premium Member

This is all misguided and covering up the real problem. Jump-shooting, no post, get out and run, ball movement blah blah blah. This team has some flaws sure but so do most teams. We are losing because of lack of effort, lack of focus, and flat out bad play. None of the rest matters. When we committ to playing all out we can compete with anybody. These guys have lost the interest or ability to do that. The rest is just excuses.

The good teams make the extra effort every game, every play. Our guys will occasionally get fired up and play tough D or fight for a rebound or not be lazy with the ball, but its only a sometimes thing.

Naw... what Joe mentions is the problem. They believe that they are all Jump shooters. That's not a player problem...really. That's a coaching problem. They have to be made to do the harder things like go inside and work. LD is too easy. He lets them believe that they are Jump Shooters because in every players mind... even the best dunkers in the world, they believe at some point that they are a jump shooter. If the coach is not able to bring them back to reality and enforce their skillset.. then the team will be lost.

I disagree. You can play with all the effort in the world........but if a jump shooting team has a bad shooting night it makes it far more difficult to win.

That cannot alwayse be over come by playing with more energy.

Edited by coachx

Naw... what Joe mentions is the problem. They believe that they are all Jump shooters. That's not a player problem...really. That's a coaching problem. They have to be made to do the harder things like go inside and work. LD is too easy. He lets them believe that they are Jump Shooters because in every players mind... even the best dunkers in the world, they believe at some point that they are a jump shooter. If the coach is not able to bring them back to reality and enforce their skillset.. then the team will be lost.

Larry Drew cannot make Horford a post player when he is matched up vs. Bynum. Larry Drew cannot make Josh Smith a post threat when matched up vs. Gasol.

However, there is no excuse for Horford or Smith to not get more touches in the post vs. the Knicks.

When the mathup allows the Hawks have to go to the paint but the Hawks simply don't have that mathup advantage every night.

Edited by coachx

Everybody keeps blaming coaching, but it's not the coaches. The reason I say this is we've seen what the system can do. Beginning of the season Joe was getting easy dunks inside. Now he's laying those same shots in and missing. This next game count how many easy conversions Joe, Josh and others miss. Right at the rim. It's not coaching. I remember Teddy Atlas was talking about Mike Tyson one night on Friday Night fights. There asking about what made Tyson so invincible in one since and so vulnerable in a another. Teddy said it wasn't training. It wasn't skill. It was Tyson's make up. He said Tyson had a lot of fear in him. As big and tough as he looked he was a timid guy. He did not want to get hit. No trainer could change that about that. When he overcame that fear on a given night, you saw greatness. When he didn't he got beat. Plain and simple. The Hawks main stars don't like contact. Think about how many times our guys have taking hard fouls and then disappeared for the rest of the game. Our players lack the the fortitude to get nasty. Too many "Nice" guys. I used admire that about our team, but we don't cheat. We don't do the little nasty things other teams do to win. Whens the last time you saw Horf or Josh put a shoulder into somebody. Or undercut a player when they go up inside. Yes this is dirty ball, but it also keeps the high risers under control. I don't have the numbers for this, but I bet we are bottom of the league in taking charges. These team has no moxy.

Everybody keeps blaming coaching, but it's not the coaches. The reason I say this is we've seen what the system can do. Beginning of the season Joe was getting easy dunks inside. Now he's laying those same shots in and missing. This next game count how many easy conversions Joe, Josh and others miss. Right at the rim. It's not coaching. I remember Teddy Atlas was talking about Mike Tyson one night on Friday Night fights. There asking about what made Tyson so invincible in one since and so vulnerable in a another. Teddy said it wasn't training. It wasn't skill. It was Tyson's make up. He said Tyson had a lot of fear in him. As big and tough as he looked he was a timid guy. He did not want to get hit. No trainer could change that about that. When he overcame that fear on a given night, you saw greatness. When he didn't he got beat. Plain and simple. The Hawks main stars don't like contact. Think about how many times our guys have taking hard fouls and then disappeared for the rest of the game. Our players lack the the fortitude to get nasty. Too many "Nice" guys. I used admire that about our team, but we don't cheat. We don't do the little nasty things other teams do to win. Whens the last time you saw Horf or Josh put a shoulder into somebody. Or undercut a player when they go up inside. Yes this is dirty ball, but it also keeps the high risers under control. I don't have the numbers for this, but I bet we are bottom of the league in taking charges. These team has no moxy.

I agree with some of the things you saying. But, it is the coaches job to put players on the court that will follow his instructions. The Hawks have a pretty good second unit, I would take each one of guys out who does not follow my direction. LD must understand his job is a stake. As a coach I would rather lose knowing that it was done my way,be it first or second unit. Then lose because I am playing my starters and they just want listen to me(crying).

In addition, I would not consider Horford or Smooth as soft. I think they have bought in to the notion that they(the team) are actually good jumper shooters. Horford taking threes, come on. I just knew a time out was about to happen.

I agree with some of the things you saying. But, it is the coaches job to put players on the court that will follow his instructions. The Hawks have a pretty good second unit, I would take each one of guys out who does not follow my direction. LD must understand his job is a stake. As a coach I would rather lose knowing that it was done my way,be it first or second unit. Then lose because I am playing my starters and they just want listen to me(crying).

In addition, I would not consider Horford or Smooth as soft. I think they have bought in to the notion that they(the team) are actually good jumper shooters. Horford taking threes, come on. I just knew a time out was about to happen.

Exactly. If Damien Wilkins is going to play harder D and take the ball to the basket, sub him in for Joe or whoever to prove a point. If another player is going to hustle more he deserves the minutes. Our starters and Jamal are way too comfortable with their time on the court.

I prefer Joe when he's quiet.

Every time he opens his mouth......<sigh>