Hilton Armstrong and Josh Powell

batfanjordanv

In the limited playing time that Hilton has seen since arriving in Atlanta, he has shown some talent. As for Josh Powell, he was playing a lot earlier this season. He had a great midrange jumpshot. Now both of them are getting DNP-CDs practically every game. They aren't inactive (usually if everyone's healthy, LD inactivates Etan Thomas and Pape Sy. They dress, but sit on the bench the whole entire game unless it is a blowout and LD decides to give them some garbage time. They have been playing less than Randolph Morris and Mario West did last season. They have more talent then Randolph. Mario was probably better than either Hilton or Josh Powell, but still! These guys should not be getting this many DNP-CDs. Any thoughts?

• Like 1

Hilton Armstrong has no post game and can't rebound. If he possessed either of those skills, he would be playing more. He's a career bench warmer. Josh Powell is a decent scorer, but his inside game is weak and he is a below average rebounder. The Hawks are not losing anything with those two on the bench.

Edited by atlbraves93
  • Like 1

What I like about Powell tho, and I'm gonna steal a word from the Falcons, is he plays with URGENCY. He always hustles and seems to make crafty plays that our starters are too immature to make and guys like Collins and Zaza are too unathletic to make. No he isn't spectactularly talented but he is definitely useful for a team who lacks any presence in the paint.

I think what I'm trying to say is he has both fundamentals and athleticism, a rare combo with any of our guys.

Edited by RedDawg#8
  • Like 1

....Josh Powell is a decent scorer, but his inside game is weak and he is a below average rebounder. The Hawks are not losing anything with those two on the bench.

Checked out the stats (AJC boxes) on JP early and he was doing pretty well in the first 20 games. He was about 15 mins per game through those games...averaging around 3 FGs a game and a couple free throws made...and a little over 4 rebounds. His FG %age was close to 50%.

Then he he went downhill bigtime on playing time and that lasted a few games (even with a DNP-CD) - then he got some time again and had a couple nice games - 23 mns, 8 for 9 against the Grizz and 21 mns, 5 for 10 against the Heat w/6 rebounds.

Then came all the DNP-CDs against ORL, Cavs, Bucks, G-State, OKC, SAC.....I didn't check past there but it didn't get better. Tough to say if something may have happened or if LD just lost confidence in him.

I'm certainly no coach/expert, but it does seem odd that LD would just give up on a guy who was generally putting together a good string of 12-20 minute performances off the bench as a big. I didn't list the blocks because he didn't have many - but he had a few...and he was scoring and rebounding at the level you would expect from him in that position (especially since he was usually playing with chucker-man).

Oh well - whatever happened - he's in the Doghouse now for sure - carving his name alongside Shelden, Salim, Acie and the gang.

Edited by DJlaysitup
  • Like 2

Checked out the stats (AJC boxes) on JP early and he was doing pretty well in the first 20 games. He was about 15 mins per game through those games...averaging around 3 FGs a game and a couple free throws made...and a little over 4 rebounds. His FG %age was close to 50%.

Then he he went downhill bigtime on playing time and that lasted a few games (even with a DNP-CD) - then he got some time again and had a couple nice games - 23 mns, 8 for 9 against the Grizz and 21 mns, 5 for 10 against the Heat w/6 rebounds.

Then came all the DNP-CDs against ORL, Cavs, Bucks, G-State, OKC, SAC.....I didn't check past there but it didn't get better. Tough to say if something may have happened or if LD just lost confidence in him.

I'm certainly no coach/expert, but it does seem odd that LD would just give up on a guy who was generally putting together a good string of 12-20 minute performances off the bench as a big. I didn't list the blocks because he didn't have many - but he had a few...and he was scoring and rebounding at the level you would expect from him in that position (especially since he was usually playing with chucker-man).

Oh well - whatever happened - he's in the Doghouse now for sure - carving his name alongside Shelden, Salim, Acie and the gang.

Don't forget his most memorable stat of the season. The block on that ambulance. That made headlines.

Hilton Armstrong has no post game and can't rebound. If he possessed either of those skills, he would be playing more. He's a career bench warmer. Josh Powell is a decent scorer, but his inside game is weak and he is a below average rebounder. The Hawks are not losing anything with those two on the bench.

"Hilton Armstrong has no post game and cant rebound".

"Josh Powell is a decent scorer, but his inside game is weak and he is a below average rebounder".

Sounds like our starting sf, pf, and center, on most nights.

Edited by terrell

Josh Powell deserves more playing time for sure. What aggravates me most about Drew, is his insistance on keeping players in the game that are obviously having "off" nights. Basketball is a very streaky game and for the most part you are either going to be hot that night or cold. You don't see many players go 0-10 in the first half and then 8-10 in the 2nd. Look at how many bad games in a row it took until Drew FINALLY tried a lineup shakeup.

Josh Powell deserves more playing time for sure. What aggravates me most about Drew, is his insistance on keeping players in the game that are obviously having "off" nights. Basketball is a very streaky game and for the most part you are either going to be hot that night or cold. You don't see many players go 0-10 in the first half and then 8-10 in the 2nd. Look at how many bad games in a row it took until Drew FINALLY tried a lineup shakeup.

Jamal. (cough, cough)

Powell is nice, he's like Joe Smith 2 years ago or 1.. I'm kinda angry that he doesnt get playing time. wtf

Yeah, he's just like him. Both suck, both are big guys who just shoot (miss) and do nothing else for you.

Regardless of perception the reality is that Powell was actually playing pretty well for us off the bench early in the year, yes he has flaws in his game thats why he's a bench player getting 10-15 mins a game but for the time that he was actually on the floor he produced about as well as you could expect from a guy getting those type of minutes and being paid what he's being paid. We got a real bargain for the actual production that this guy was putting up early in the year, now obviously he did some things that got him out of Drews good graces and none of us know what that is but hey if they can mend that relationship and he can start getting back on the floor I'd love it. As far as Hilton goes....I have no damn idea what the guy can do