• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

OK, it's time we have the conversation...

Diesel

74 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Al had a bad playoff s this year but he is much more consistent and level headed than smoove is. I was abig J smith fan but I'm completel done with him. He will never learn to stop taking stupid outside shots. We need to trade smoove ofr a legit center and call it a day.

Everything good smoove does he screws up 2X more by playing out of position and whining like a baby every 5 seconds.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

THIS

These poll results are a stark contrast from a similar poll on ajc.com:

http://blogs.ajc.com/mark-bradley-blog/2011/05/13/the-hawks-proved-they-arent-a-mess-but-they-lack-a-mesh/

Only 7% vote to trade Horford here.

Thats because most guys here have a short memory. They are so focused on the bad series Al had,

that they forget the whole regular season.

What this team needs more than ANYTHING is consistent effort. Al gives you that. Josh does not.

Josh will have one game that reminds you of how good he could be and then he follow it up with

5 bad games. He is the cancer that causes this team to play up and down all the time.

• Premium Member

The "Smith vs. Horford" argument is such a red herring around here. While both players have their limitations, they're not the central problem. They're both versatile enough to play on the same team.

The real problems are these:

1.) Marvin Williams' bloated contract preventing the team from nabbing some decent frontcourt depth.

2.) Joe Johnson's spiraling contract preventing the team from having any significant financial flexibility for the next five seasons.

Unless the Hawks rid themselves of at least one of those two contracts, arguing over Smith and Horford is a waste of breath.

Smoove shooting 8 % on his jumpers doesn't chance the fact that AL Horford was horrible the entire series and failed to show up.

Is 11 ppg and 9 rpg really considred horrible ?

I don't get it. Its not like Al made stupid decisions, forced bad shots, committed turnovers, or got untimely technicals.

I just don't get most of this board.

The fact is the Hawks could not hit jumpers. Without Hinrich and Bibby to space the floor the Bulls were allowed to pack the paint and play alot of zone.

Al shot 44 % for the series while Josh shot 39% for the series. Neither of those figures will cut it.

Edited by coachx

sometimes you have to cut a man loose. Do you want to continue to deal with a guy that you have to coddle, beg , and convince to carry out the game plan, or do you want men that you can treat as men , and do whats best for the team?

Some guys just aren't coachable and never realize their potential . Sometimes you need to subtract to add - its long past time.

This post also goes to the morons that have talent on the bench , but cant seem to let it develop . Who knew Teague could possible take over a game if given the chance ? Here we were thinking he was a bust , and lo and behold, hes just been held back. Maybe it goes much deeper than just Teague and perhaps its systematic of how Marvin, Horford, and others play as well. With of course the new wildcard being Josh.

Josh or Al?? Really? LMAO..

You guys are talking about the wrong guys. Let us start by getting rid of the dead weight and the overpaid aging wanna-be-superstar..

You want to improve this team free up Joe and Marvins contract to start and get a shooting guard who is a good shooter and play some D..

Move Josh to SF permanently , move Al to PF permanently and get a center with some height and wing span ( if glass man could stay healthy he would be perfect!) After that let Crawford walk and have Heinrich be the man off the bench w/ a good solid back-up SF picked up in the off season..

Of course turn over point to Teague-that is a start..

• Like 1

Give me Al. I know what he is. He's a Honda/Toyota. Nothing flashy, but an award winning dependable type. You'll be proud to own him and pretty much maintenance free. Josh....Smoove? He's a Mustang. Great looking, fast, draws attention. But, damn it you end up with a bunch of speeding tickets, you burn through tires, and just getting work every day is a 60/40 proposition. You love that Mustang for a good 2 months out of the year and want to sell it the other 10. I'll miss the Mustang, but I'll never regret that Honda.

• Like 2

Josh Smith is a SF so I can't dive into this convo with you.

PG Teague

SG

SF Josh

PF Al

C

Josh Smith was very effective against Deng if you did not notice and Deng gets a lot of credit for D. Deng did a good job on Joe but could really do nothing with Josh when Josh wanted to post him. If we want any chance of ever having a consistent post game Josh is a SF and Al is a PF.

Our offense is not well balanced with Teague, JJ, Smoove, Horford, and Collins starting games.

The starting 5 needs some more guys to space the floor. When JJ has the ball there are no perimeter threats to space the floor and open up the lane. If Teague continues to start at PG it will be imparative that another 3 point shooter is added to the starting rotation.

Edited by coachx

Josh or Al?? Really? LMAO..

You guys are talking about the wrong guys. Let us start by getting rid of the dead weight and the overpaid aging wanna-be-superstar..

You want to improve this team free up Joe and Marvins contract to start and get a shooting guard who is a good shooter and play some D..Move Josh to SF permanently , move Al to PF permanently and get a center with some height and wing span ( if glass man could stay healthy he would be perfect!) After that let Crawford walk and have Heinrich be the man off the bench w/ a good solid back-up SF picked up in the off season..

Of course turn over point to Teague-that is a start..

JJ'c contract is unmoveable and no one wants Marvin if you care to stay in reality.

Call a GM and ask them what they give you for Marvin Williams ?

I guarantee you their answer will be another question: "What will you give me to take Marvin Williams ?"

With Teague as the starting PG this team desperately needs a shooter besides JJ in the starting 5. When JJ has the ball there must be some perimeter shooters the defense has to respect. Without shooters all the ball movement in the world will equal open shots but with no one to who can hit them.

Smoove. More talent, better D, better post moves, but nothing like horf when it comes to consistensy. If he can learn how to play within his own skill set, he'll be a better fit then horf going foward. However, if he's going to be the jumpshooting brickhouse builder that he's been this whole season then keep Horf.

• Like 1

I wish there was an option for *neither Diesel. I have a few suggestions.

1. Get Smoove away from that doggone *shooting coach this summer and get him with one of the world's best personal trainers. Get him back down to the 240lb range where he can jump out of the gym.

2. Horford needs to spend this summer with Karl Malone. Both on the court and in the weight room.

PG Teague

SG Joe

SF Smoove

PF Horf

C ?

6th Hinrich

• Premium Member

Is 11 ppg and 9 rpg really considred horrible ?

I don't get it. Its not like Al made stupid decisions, forced bad shots, committed turnovers, or got untimely technicals.

I just don't get most of this board.

The fact is the Hawks could not hit jumpers. Without Hinrich and Bibby to space the floor the Bulls were allowed to pack the paint and play alot of zone.

Al shot 44 % for the series while Josh shot 39% for the series. Neither of those figures will cut it.

Actually Al horford shot 42% compared to Josh's 40%

And 11 ppg and rpg in 39 minutes of playing time is bad. He averaged like 10.4 ppg and 8.8 rpg per 36 minutes (Shelden Williams like numbers), which is not good at all, especially when you consider how inefficient he was. Furthermore, we had Al Horford WIDE OPEN all series long on pick and pops and all he would do is miss or pass the ball back out. He was dreadful. If he had played even remotely like he did in the first half of this year we are a completely different team. Josh Smith was equally as dreadful for most of the series but then actually started giving us some great hustle plays on both ends of the floor the last few games. I wouldn't defend either of those guys with much conviction though, they were both total crap all playoffs long.

• Like 2

Actually Al horford shot 42% compared to Josh's 40%

And 11 ppg and rpg in 39 minutes of playing time is bad. He averaged like 10.4 ppg and 8.8 rpg per 36 minutes (Shelden Williams like numbers), which is not good at all, especially when you consider how inefficient he was. Furthermore, we had Al Horford WIDE OPEN all series long on pick and pops and all he would do is miss or pass the ball back out. He was dreadful. If he had played even remotely like he did in the first half of this year we are a completely different team. Josh Smith was equally as dreadful for most of the series but then actually started giving us some great hustle plays on both ends of the floor the last few games. I wouldn't defend either of those guys with much conviction though, they were both total crap all playoffs long.

This post is one of the better ones I seen on the previous series. +1

JJ'c contract is unmoveable and no one wants Marvin if you care to stay in reality.

Call a GM and ask them what they give you for Marvin Williams ?

I guarantee you their answer will be another question: "What will you give me to take Marvin Williams ?"

With Teague as the starting PG this team desperately needs a shooter besides JJ in the starting 5. When JJ has the ball there must be some perimeter shooters the defense has to respect. Without shooters all the ball movement in the world will equal open shots but with no one to who can hit them.

Rashard Lewis's contract was untradeable also..

If you can find the right situation you can move Joe Johnson

Give me Al. I know what he is. He's a Honda/Toyota. Nothing flashy, but an award winning dependable type. You'll be proud to own him and pretty much maintenance free. Josh....Smoove? He's a Mustang. Great looking, fast, draws attention. But, damn it you end up with a bunch of speeding tickets, you burn through tires, and just getting work every day is a 60/40 proposition. You love that Mustang for a good 2 months out of the year and want to sell it the other 10. I'll miss the Mustang, but I'll never regret that Honda.

Great analogy!