• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Greg Oden

atlfan25

While I somewhat agree with the idea that we should trade one of either Josh or Horford.. I feel like that both will be kept with the ownership situation along with the CBA and us doin better in the playoffs than in the past couple of years.

IMO the best way for the Hawks to improve next season is to improve from within the organization (development of Teague, maturity of Josh Smith, another year of team becoming comfortable with Drew and his offense)

That being said.. the addition of a player like Greg Oden and the potential that he has to contribute would be a risk that the Hawks should take without question. I doubt that he will ocsts much with the freak injuries he's had the past three years.

If we did sign him.. i wouldn't want to give him the starting spot immediately for obvious reasons but if he were to come in and show that he deserves to start then I would definitely want to see him starting in the "big" lineup that Drew used last year in place of Collins.

Then I'd sign some cheap vets to come in and fill out the roster like Mario West for SG and Vald Radmonovic or Craig Smith for PF...with this lineup:

Teague/Heinrich/Sy

Johnson/West

Smith/Williams/Wilkens

Horford/Smith

Oden/Zaza/Collins

Heinrich would play most of the backup minutes at SG and Smoov ewould back up PF for the most part so I feel like depth wouldn't be much of a problem with this team.. maybe pickup another combo guard or something but other than that I feel like this would be a champ caliber team if Oden and our big three show up in the playoffs.

• Premium Member

Fans will balk at the price tag, but Oden won't be signing anywhere cheap. My guess is that he'll re-up with Portland after the lockout settles at somewhere in the range of $8-10M per year (maybe a tad less depending on what the new CBA looks like). Injured or not, 23 year old big men with remarkable run-jump athleticism just don't come around too often. Plenty of teams would be lining up to pay him at least a few clicks above the mid-level under the current CBA. In any case, our chance of signing him outright is basically zero unless the new CBA contains terms that no one expects.

Edited by niremetal

You want a player with constant injury problems..? Why wont we shoot ourselves in the foot because it sounds like you want another Speedy Claxton situation. Wake me up when Oden plays an entire season. Better yet, let me know when Portland fans no longer gasp for their lives when he goes up to get a rebound. Terrible idea to me.... smh.

• Premium Member

While I somewhat agree with the idea that we should trade one of either Josh or Horford.. I feel like that both will be kept with the ownership situation along with the CBA and us doin better in the playoffs than in the past couple of years.

IMO the best way for the Hawks to improve next season is to improve from within the organization (development of Teague, maturity of Josh Smith, another year of team becoming comfortable with Drew and his offense)

That being said.. the addition of a player like Greg Oden and the potential that he has to contribute would be a risk that the Hawks should take without question. I doubt that he will ocsts much with the freak injuries he's had the past three years.

If we did sign him.. i wouldn't want to give him the starting spot immediately for obvious reasons but if he were to come in and show that he deserves to start then I would definitely want to see him starting in the "big" lineup that Drew used last year in place of Collins.

Then I'd sign some cheap vets to come in and fill out the roster like Mario West for SG and Vald Radmonovic or Craig Smith for PF...with this lineup:

Teague/Heinrich/Sy

Johnson/West

Smith/Williams/Wilkens

Horford/Smith

Oden/Zaza/Collins

Heinrich would play most of the backup minutes at SG and Smoov ewould back up PF for the most part so I feel like depth wouldn't be much of a problem with this team.. maybe pickup another combo guard or something but other than that I feel like this would be a champ caliber team if Oden and our big three show up in the playoffs.

Mainly because he's overpriced. Often Injured. And when he played, he played more like a pussycat and not a Lion. It would be better to go after Dalembert. At least with Dalembert you have a known quantity.

I am all for Oden and I do not mean any disrespect to anyone when I say no way the Trailblazers are even offering Oden his damn near $9 million dollar qualifying amount. They would have $23 million in damaged products on the cap for 2011-12 in Oden and Roy, no way.

I am all for Oden and I do not mean any disrespect to anyone when I say no way the Trailblazers are even offering Oden his damn near $9 million dollar qualifying amount. They would have $23 million in damaged products on the cap for 2011-12 in Oden and Roy, no way.

Blazers are already well above the cap so I see no reason why they wouldn't at the minimum offer the QO to a player they have already invested so much in and instead choose to let him be an unrestricted free agent that they'd have no power over whether they could match his contract offers. You must have their owner confused with ours, money aint a thang to Paul Allen, they even gave Roy his max deal after they were fully aware that he had no cartilage in his knees so I don't see how your logic flies especially when Oden's injuries haven't been chronic or reoccurring.

Blazers are already well above the cap so I see no reason why they wouldn't at the minimum offer the QO to a player they have already invested so much in and instead choose to let him be an unrestricted free agent that they'd have no power over whether they could match his contract offers. You must have their owner confused with ours, money aint a thang to Paul Allen, they even gave Roy his max deal after they were fully aware that he had no cartilage in his knees so I don't see how your logic flies especially when Oden's injuries haven't been chronic or reoccurring.

We will see when they don't offer him the qualifying amount. I am sure you will simply state that the owners logic made no sense and you are the only sensible human goingTalking%20Ear%20Off.gif

We will see when they don't offer him the qualifying amount. I am sure you will simply state that the owners logic made no sense and you are the only sensible human goingTalking%20Ear%20Off.gif

Not at all, it would simply mean that they gave up most of the leverage that they had to keep him because in order for him to be a restricted free agent you have to offer him the QO. Now of course that doesn't mean that his eventual contract has to end up at that amount, it is really mostly a cap hold and that at the end of the day if Oden can't find any suitors or workout a longer term deal with Portland themselves then he has the option of signing it and becoming a unrestricted free agent the next year. But alright, if it's a wait and see approach you want to take to show your bravado then I'm game.

• Admin

Oden -- 'They Call Me Mr. Glass'

It would be a waste of money no matter how much it is. He has been consistently hurt since High School. Why will it be different now. This is nothing to do with his talent or his size. He will never contribute to this team because he will always be on the bench in street clothes -- see Speedy Claxton

Edited by capstone21

• Premium Member

Fans will balk at the price tag, but Oden won't be signing anywhere cheap. My guess is that he'll re-up with Portland after the lockout settles at somewhere in the range of $8-10M per year (maybe a tad less depending on what the new CBA looks like). Injured or not, 23 year old big men with remarkable run-jump athleticism just don't come around too often. Plenty of teams would be lining up to pay him at least a few clicks above the mid-level under the current CBA. In any case, our chance of signing him outright is basically zero unless the new CBA contains terms that no one expects.

yeah but the only problem is whenever he runs or jumps something breaks.

Edited by NineOhTheRino

Not at all, it would simply mean that they gave up most of the leverage that they had to keep him because in order for him to be a restricted free agent you have to offer him the QO. Now of course that doesn't mean that his eventual contract has to end up at that amount, it is really mostly a cap hold and that at the end of the day if Oden can't find any suitors or workout a longer term deal with Portland themselves then he has the option of signing it and becoming a unrestricted free agent the next year. But alright, if it's a wait and see approach you want to take to show your bravado then I'm game.

Game on:stirthepot:

I would do a sign and trade for Hinrich with him but does Portland?

• Admin

I would do a sign and trade for Hinrich with him but does Portland?

Why would you do that? Send a solid point guard in the last year of his contract for Mr. Brittle? The dude will never contribute anything of significance in this league because of his injuries.

Why would you do that? Send a solid point guard in the last year of his contract for Mr. Brittle? The dude will never contribute anything of significance in this league because of his injuries.

When he plays, he is one of the top 10 centers in the NBA and his numbers and PER has ALWAYS been really good. The guy's defensive impact alone makes him worth 10 million.

• Like 1

• Admin

When he plays, he is one of the top 10 centers in the NBA and his numbers and PER has ALWAYS been really good. The guy's defensive impact alone makes him worth 10 million.

20 - 25 games a year and probably miss the playoffs doesn't work for me