• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Joe to be on Jim Rome

Guest Squawker

Joe has never gotten 100% support from anywhere he has been and it's because he isn't that flashy type of guy that fans enjoy to see, he just goes out and does his business in a quiet type of way. That's why he will never be selected as a starter to an all star game but will most likely be selected as that guy that coaches love to fill out the bench with.

• Like 2

I wouldn't say Joe is hated by any means. He lacks the captivating personality that most beloved stars have, but he also lacks the off-the-court drama that most hated stars have. "I don't know man." I would say 'indifferent' is the word.

Edited by MrRyda
  • Like 2

• Premium Member

In terms of food: LeBron is a rich and moist red velvet cake and Joe is a dry and plain pound cake.

• swisscolonyredvelvet.jpg
  • 232642.jpg

I've never seen a fan base be as cynical and flat out not support a star of a legit team, as much as I've seen with Hawk fans and JJ.

I take that back. Donovan McNabb is probably the only guy I've seen "hated on" for no reason at all, more than JJ.

How many times do you need the reasons presented to you? You can't keep your head in the sand forever.

I've never seen a fan base be as cynical and flat out not support a star of a legit team, as much as I've seen with Hawk fans and JJ.

I take that back. Donovan McNabb is probably the only guy I've seen "hated on" for no reason at all, more than JJ.

No reason at all? Um, JJ brought some of this on himself by calling out the fans, and saying he didnt give a .uck if they showed up or not. Speaking of JJ, I've got no problem with him myself, other than he's a #2 getting paid like a #1. So we better get a #1 guy to pair with him, or we're a 1st or 2nd rd team from hear on out. Plain and simple. So it's either get Robin a Batman, or try to move him for some assets to help the team in the future. WE WILL NEVER WIN A CHAMPIONSHIP WITH JOE JOHNSON AS THE #1 GUY. AINT HAPPENING. Stevie Wonder can see that. Not a Joe basher at all. Just telling it like it is. Edited by terrell

• Premium Member

How many times do you need the reasons presented to you? You can't keep your head in the sand forever.

How many times do NBA coaches have to select JJ to All-Star teams before his haters stop hating? You can't keep your heads in the sand forever.

I try not to bash Joe too much, be I can't think of a #1 option in Atlanta sports history I've had a harder time cheering for.

When he dogged the fans, that was the end of the line for me.

LOL @ dogged the fans.

You mean the same fans that don't even bother to be on time to games?

You mean the same fans that don't show up for games during the work week, unless some huge superstar is coming to town?

You mean the same fans that routinely see opposing fans take over their own arena and cheer against the Hawks in their own building?

You mean the same fans that started booing that team starting in the 1st quarter of the infamous Orlando beatdown in Game 3, when they were only down 7 points at the time?

I was at Game 3 of that Orlando series. 75% of that crowd immediately bailed on that team as soon as the bench came in and the Hawks started struggling a little. Then as the beatdown got worse, the fans were in full hate mode by halftime.

JJ's comments were made out of frustration in the heat of the moment, but crowd support has been a MAJOR issue in ATL forever. Don't act like the ATL crowd faithfully supported that team up until that time he made those comments. Even Josh Smith and Woody had made subtle comments about fan support before JJ's infamous comments that day. They were a 53 win team ( 4th best record in Atlanta Hawk history ) that won 34 home games ( 3rd best in the league ), and they STILL finished 18th in total attendance that year.

So JJ and the Hawks get booed out of the arena . . and you wonder why he said he doesn't care less if the fans showed up or not?

Keep it real. Maybe 1/2 of this board even bother to go to Hawk games ( whether they live in ATL, travel to ATL to see the Hawks, or if the team comes close to where they live at and play on the road ). In total, it's maybe a few thousand of us who can be considered "die hard fans".

By the way . . . if you want to re-live that moment in time, and see JJ's ENTIRE post game interview that day . . . here it is. And note that he said WE . . . not I "could care less if the fans showed up or not". So apparently, some on that team shared the same sentiments as JJ. They just weren't careless ( or stupid ) enough to give their opinion. JJ's comment was dumb . . . but it's not like he wasn't telling the truth.

I fully understand the frustration of being a dedicated Atlanta fan, so I can imagine what it feels like to be a #1 option athlete in Atlanta sports...

We are all fans - we are only held responsible for our words on our respective forums.

On that token...Joe is a professional. Joe is paid by an organization who is ultimately funded by a fan-driven organization and sport.

I generally hate bickering on a forum about anything, but regardless of whether the guy is right or not - Joe should not bash the fanbase. No athlete should. It is completely inexcusable.

A fanbase is what it is, Joe knew what he was getting when he came here. He asked for it.

As an Atlanta fan, I know what i'm getting into everytime I'm @ Philips for a home game. I go to other arenas every year, but I dont go to 41 away games like Joe and every other NBA player. So like I said... Joe knew EXACTLY what he was getting into when he came to Atlanta.

• Like 2

How many times do NBA coaches have to select JJ to All-Star teams before his haters stop hating? You can't keep your heads in the sand forever.

Making the All Star game, especially making it on reputation alone, does not make you immune to criticism. But if an ASG appearance is all it takes to satisfy you guys then congratulations on all the success.

• Premium Member

Making the All Star game, especially making it on reputation alone, does not make you immune to criticism. But if an ASG appearance is all it takes to satisfy you guys then congratulations on all the success.

NBA coaches choose the All-Star reserves. I think they're slightly more qualified than you to judge the quality of the players they see. And they've chosen him 5 straight times. But hey, if that's not enough to satisfy you, then congratulations on being a hater.

Edited by niremetal
  • Like 3

NBA coaches choose the All-Star reserves. I think they're slightly more qualified than you to judge the quality of the players they see. And they've chosen him 5 straight times. But hey, if that's not enough to satisfy you, then congratulations on being a hater.

Funny how the coaches are infallible geniuses whenever it helps that person's argument. I'm sure you have never disagreed with a selection. But that's not the point. Joe could make the ASG for the next 20 years, but as long as the Hawks keep ending every year on a sour note, who cares? I'm more concerned with the team's playoff success than a player's selection into a meaningless exhibition.

• Premium Member

Funny how the coaches are infallible geniuses whenever it helps that person's argument. I'm sure you have never disagreed with a selection. But that's not the point. Joe could make the ASG for the next 20 years, but as long as the Hawks keep ending every year on a sour note, who cares? I'm more concerned with the team's playoff success than a player's selection into a meaningless exhibition.

Yeah... and Barkley, Nique, Ewing, Malone and Stockton are all bums

and

Scott Williams, Vernon Maxwell, Kenny Smith, and Jason Terry are all better than them!

Playoff success is not determined by one guy. Playoff success requires a whole team. There will be 29 teams that end on a sour note. Those guys put up meaningless exhibition?

So Dwight Howard = Meaningless Exhibition?

How about Derrick Rose, Lebron, and Cp3?

Good luck with that one.

• Like 4

and

Scott Williams, Vernon Maxwell, Kenny Smith, and Jason Terry are all better than them!

Playoff success is not determined by one guy. Playoff success requires a whole team. There will be 29 teams that end on a sour note. Those guys put up meaningless exhibition?

Good luck with that one.

But individual guys often are the leaders and difference makers on good championship teams. Sure, it's fair to say Joe, as the franchise guy, isn't surrounded by as good a team as other championship teams have. But to deny Joe's inability to overcome the pressure put on him by his contract and turn the double and triple teams into open shots for the other players on this team who can shoot, is only looking at part of the picture. Joe is no Kobe, Dwight, Shaq, Dirk or KG when it comes to overcoming pressure and leading your team through adversity to a championship. Joe is just a quiet very good player who deserves his rep as a very good player but unless he finds the fire to become a leader and lift his game up another level, he will always be remembered as a just a solid fundamentally sound guard who made more than he was worth.

• Like 1

and

Good luck with that one.

Way to get the wrong idea and run with it. I have only said that Joe making the ASG does not automatically make his season (or the team's) a success. I promise you those Jazz fans aren't content with never winning a championship because Malone and Stockton went to 50 All Star Games. It is possible for Joe to have a successful season without the Hawks winning a championship (07-08 was a success all things considered), but him going 3 for 12 in good games during the playoffs won't cut it.

And that's the thing High5.

You know good and well that the playoff games that we DID WIN, had a lot to do with JJ. Yet, that gets completely overlooked because he ( individualy ) hasn't gotten us to the next level.

JJ pisses people off when he tells the truth . . like during the Orlando series when he said that he doesn't get the credit for wins, so he shouldn't get blamed for losses. The statement on face value sounds bad, but he's telling the God's honest truth. People think the MVP of the 2011 playoffs for the Hawks is Jeff Teague, despite Teague ONLY playing in the Chicago series.

There was only one guy who played even remotely consistent throughout the playoffs. The same guy who had monster games in Game 1 of both games.

That's why I compare the cynicism that JJ receives, to what McNabb receives. Fans and the media blame both guys for coming up short, which is cool. But both guys are talked about like afterthoughts, like scrubs.

Had it been any other Hawk going on Rome, you wouldn't have seen the little side comments that you see about JJ. But because it's JJ, the comments rain down by the boatloads. It just seems ungrateful to me to diss the guy that has been one of the main reasons why we're even discussing the Hawks being in the playoffs. Especially when you know the team as a whole isn't elite playoff caliber.

Can't say that you like or love JJ in one breath, and constantly dog him out the next.