• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Woody To Intervew w/ the T'wolves?

Mdizzle5

If he gets the job.... i feel bad for Ricky Rubio...

Name of external link

I would feel bad for Woody for having to coach that T-Wolves team while being forced to start Rubio. I just think Rubio is going to struggle big time with the transition to the NBA for and 82 game season.

I hope he gets the Pistons job. That team has some nice young pieces. I'm much higher on Knight then I am Rubio as far as being a franchise PG.

Edited by coachx

not exactly we did that cause bibby sucked on the defense mainly so woody tried to hid it by using the switching technique

Agreed, but you also have to realize when the other team is abusing those switches.

Regardless, I wish him luck. Its always good to get a second chance.

• Premium Member

I hope Woody gets the Pistons job. Ive always liked Woody he is a better coach by far than Drew who just dont get it. Drew tries to play thriough the media. I notice little things like the BPG for Josh was up around 3 under Woody and around 2 under LD. These are little things that add up.

I know most like LD better but IMO I go with Woody.

• Premium Member

Agreed, but you also have to realize when the other team is abusing those switches.

Regardless, I wish him luck. Its always good to get a second chance.

The whole idea behind the switching defense was not to stop the other team? Wood understood that we didn't have enough defensive peices to be a defensive stopping team. However, he was trying to improve the margin of difference between what our offense could do vs. what the other team's offense can do.

• Moderators

The whole idea behind the switching defense was not to stop the other team? Wood understood that we didn't have enough defensive peices to be a defensive stopping team. However, he was trying to improve the margin of difference between what our offense could do vs. what the other team's offense can do.

The switching D was a bad idea. It made us the most predictable and easily exploitable team in the league. Fortunately, we had some athletic and good defenders to keep us from being defensively inept (JJ, Josh Smith, Al Horford, Marvin Williams, etc.).

Think of the Orlando series where Woody didn't once try to play Howard straight up and just let them bomb us to the worst playoff series loss in NBA history - worse than every 1 v. 8 matchup even involving historic teams like Jordan's Bulls, Magic's Lakers, Bird's Celtics, Shaq's Lakers, etc.

• Premium Member

2 words for anyone criticizing Woody's defense strategy: Attribution Error

The switching D was a bad idea. It made us the most predictable and easily exploitable team in the league. Fortunately, we had some athletic and good defenders to keep us from being defensively inept (JJ, Josh Smith, Al Horford, Marvin Williams, etc.).

A team with Rubio or Bibby as their starting PG does not have much of a choice but to switch. Neither Rubio nor Bibby can defend PGs 1 0n 1....much less going through screen to stay with their man.

Think of the Orlando series where Woody didn't once try to play Howard straight up and just let them bomb us to the worst playoff series loss in NBA history - worse than every 1 v. 8 matchup even involving historic teams like Jordan's Bulls, Magic's Lakers, Bird's Celtics, Shaq's Lakers, etc.

Agreed as fact. Drew proved it by starting Collins and not double teaming Howard.

Part of Rubio's appeal before he was drafted is his defensive aptitude. Now he may not have top line quickness but he has displayed decent IQ on that end with a nose for the ball to go along with great size for the position and I feel that it is a little early to be placing a rookie that has yet to suit up in the same category as Mike Bibby's defensive ineptitude.

• Premium Member

I don't disagree that it was a bad idea. However, if you're unwilling to trade Bibby, then it's a good idea. Here's the bottom line on Woody's defense. It sucked, it allowed teams to dial up their favorite mismatch, etc. But it was no mystery to the players. Bibby was not the only poor 1 on 1 defender. The switching defense allowed some guys to get accolades for being good defenders when they really wasn't. Still Woody was more willing to play the probabilities than he was to play man to man. Most folks would consider it suicide to play a beast like Howard 1 on 1. LD deserves great credit for coming up with the scheme. However, when Wood coached against Orlando, probably says, stop the easy inside shots and live with what they can do from outside. Most HS, College, and Pro coaches live by that Philosophy. That Orlando team was just too stacked and our Hawks team was just too unmotivated.

That's the difference. That team that we put on the court just didn't try against Orlando. This year, they played Orlando like life depended on it. It was good playoff basketball.

• Moderators

That's the difference. That team that we put on the court just didn't try against Orlando. This year, they played Orlando like life depended on it. It was good playoff basketball.

I do consider the auto-switch D and iso offense to be two significant schematic problems that led to us having the worst performance by any team in NBA history not in a 1 seed v. 8 seed matchup but a #2 seed v. #3 seed matchup.

I have never been a Woody fan and don't find it at all surprising that the organizations that want to win in the near term aren't hiring him.

• Premium Member

I do consider the auto-switch D and iso offense to be two significant schematic problems that led to us having the worst performance by any team in NBA history not in a 1 seed v. 8 seed matchup but a #2 seed v. #3 seed matchup.

I have never been a Woody fan and don't find it at all surprising that the organizations that want to win in the near term aren't hiring him.

The problem is that we became a winning team 50+ games with those two schemes. As I always say, winning in basketball is about matchups and not necessarily schemes. We were not more talented than that Orlando team nor did we match up well with them. Yet, you're trying to suggest that we had a chance?

You can keep ignoring it if you will, but the truth is that the team had given up on Woody. When you look at how we stumbled through the Milwaukee series and they didn't have Bogut... that was a case of a lackadaisical team who no longer listened to their coach. Then we stumble into the best team in the East? Of Course we got our butts handed to us. We could have been more competitive, but changing the scheme would not have equated to us winning or coming close.

I would grant you that the difference this year was Hinrich. Our big lineup worked at full capacity because Hinrich handcuffed Nelson. We wouldn't have done the same thing had Bibby been the point? You focus on scheme and ignore personnel and motivation. For me, that's a fail.

That is why if we have a season, it is important for us to have the right personnel.

I venture to say that the mode is right!

• Moderators

The problem is that we became a winning team 50+ games with those two schemes. As I always say, winning in basketball is about matchups and not necessarily schemes. We were not more talented than that Orlando team nor did we match up well with them. Yet, you're trying to suggest that we had a chance?

You can keep ignoring it if you will, but the truth is that the team had given up on Woody. When you look at how we stumbled through the Milwaukee series and they didn't have Bogut... that was a case of a lackadaisical team who no longer listened to their coach. Then we stumble into the best team in the East? Of Course we got our butts handed to us. We could have been more competitive, but changing the scheme would not have equated to us winning or coming close.

I would grant you that the difference this year was Hinrich. Our big lineup worked at full capacity because Hinrich handcuffed Nelson. We wouldn't have done the same thing had Bibby been the point? You focus on scheme and ignore personnel and motivation. For me, that's a fail.

That is why if we have a season, it is important for us to have the right personnel.

I venture to say that the mode is right!

We became a team that had historically good health in 2009-10 and ran up one season of 50+ wins (achieving their regular season potential). That same team is the one that nearly lost the first round series to one of the worst playoff teams ever (the injury decimated Bucks) and then did lose the worst series in NBA history to a team that wasn't good enough to win the East. I will agree that Woodson did a poor job motivating the team in the playoffs but I don't think that accounts for everything.

There is a reason that Sacramento didn't autoswitch with Bibby starting and that Miami didn't autoswitch with Bibby starting. It is a bad strategy and other coaches have seen that.

Woodson was a defensive focused coach who loved Bibby and ran with a defense that lets guys like Paul Pierce matchup with Bibby any time they want and ends up with our center guarding the opposing PG.

I never liked the autoswitch defense generally but if it had only been run as one of multiple defensive looks then I think it would have been fine. Running it 24/7 was a strategic limitation for a coach whose primary asset was (supposedly) his ability to coach defense.

• Premium Member

We became a team that had historically good health in 2009-10 and ran up one season of 50+ wins (achieving their regular season potential). That same team is the one that nearly lost the first round series to one of the worst playoff teams ever (the injury decimated Bucks) and then did lose the worst series in NBA history to a team that wasn't good enough to win the East. I will agree that Woodson did a poor job motivating the team in the playoffs but I don't think that accounts for everything.

There is a reason that Sacramento didn't autoswitch with Bibby starting and that Miami didn't autoswitch with Bibby starting. It is a bad strategy and other coaches have seen that.

Woodson was a defensive focused coach who loved Bibby and ran with a defense that lets guys like Paul Pierce matchup with Bibby any time they want and ends up with our center guarding the opposing PG.

I never liked the autoswitch defense generally but if it had only been run as one of multiple defensive looks then I think it would have been fine. Running it 24/7 was a strategic limitation for a coach whose primary asset was (supposedly) his ability to coach defense.

I don't want you to think that I disagree totally with what you're saying. I hate the switching defense too.

But with our personnel, it was a good option. Had we run man to man, we would have gotten killed. First off, our players don't have the mentality to fight through picks. Second... BIBBY? Are you kidding. Bibby would have done absolutely nothing on defense. Bibby must be hid on defense. Do you know how much I hated seeing Horf trying to guard ___________any PG.

Still, you saw the success of the switch against Boston and Miami in playoff series of the past.

Like I said, Wood never used it to show that his team could be a defensive stopper team. Wood used it to create a difference in scoring output between our team and our opponent. (playing the odds).

i.e. We're not going to stop you 80 times out of 100 possessions. We might just stop you 45 times. But you're only going to stop us 42 times.