• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Falcons off season could be done in 7 days

coachx

OK........this is a day premature but I don't care.

It appears an agreement could be reached Thursday. NFL teams could then begin signing their own free agents Monday July 25. Teams can start talking to their own free agents Friday July 22 if an agreement is reached tomorrow.

Atlanta would have about $20 mill under the new $120 mill cap + a $3 mill expception.

Current free agents of note with their position: Clabo RT, Dahl RG, Blalock LG, Weems KR/WR, Peterson OLB, Nichols OLB, Snelling RB

Primary needs:

pass rushing DE

veteran nickle back upgrade

Possible players they can cut for cap relief:

Jenkins WR - save $2 - 2.5 mill in cap space by cutting him

Davis DE - save $2 - 2.5 mill in cap space by cutting him

Anderson DE/DR - former #7 overall pick is now serviceable but his contract is too big. Can save $2 - 2.5 mill in cap space by cutting him.

The Falcons have a lot of free agents that could be in demand:

Clabo - #1 RT in free agency and is coming off a Pro Bowl year. He could get an offer of $9-$10 mill per year. The Falcons cannot pay that to their RT. We have too much money in our skill positions to pay a RT that.

Dahl - a proven starter with a nasty streak coaches love and opposing player hate. He could be priced to high as well.

Blalock. entering his prime at 27. He may attract more attention then his more well known teamates in free agencey. He is the OL I want to keep the most.

Snelling - could go from backup money to starter money. Falcons cannot pay him starter money.

Nichols - could also go from backup money to starter money. Has been solid as a part-time starter in Atlanta.

Weems - Pro Bowl kick returner will not by ignored by other teams in free agency.

Peterson - a veteran that will stay in Atlanta for cheap. His leadership is valued by the organization.

I'm thinking Atlanta will lose 2 of their 3 OL starters to free agency. I'm not too worried though. Dimitroff has stock piled some depth here throug the draft. Only 2 guys out of: M. Johnson, Valdez, Reynolds, Hawley, and Sviteck have to be ready to start.

Snelling will probably get an offer we cannot pay to our backup. We can replace him with a proven veteran RB for cheap though. Veteran RBs are every where (R. Brown, Addi. Barber, Bell, Bennett, Betts, Benson , Fargas, Jones, Maroney, McClain, Portis, R. Williams, C. Williams. So needless to say this is not a position I would over pay for.

So what do you want the Falcons to do ?

Cut Davis, Anderson, and Jenkins to open up about $7 mill cap room ?

Sign as many of our own free agents as possible even though that means there is no money left to add a DE or NB ?

Sign a big time DE (Edwards or Johnson) and use what is left to keep maybe 2 of our own free agents ?

Sign a cheaper DE (like Babin) and keep 3 or 4 of our free agents ?

It will be interesting and will happen very very fast.

Edited by coachx

• Moderators

Not THE priority, but can the Falcons please go after a backup QB? I don't want to go down the sideline after Labor Day and see Redman and JPW if something puts Matt Ryan out of action.

Do they have a reliable backup at Strong Safety? I wouldn't mind seeing what Donte Whitner would consider as an offer.

If they're going to splurge, I do like going after Johnson ahead of Edwards for the DE role. Stylez G White if they want to go short-term and cheap, and Travis LaBoy if they need more flexibility at OLB.

If we cannot keep Snelling I like going after local products Mike Tolbert as a power-back, or Ronnie Brown if we need someone who can come out of the backfield and make catches.

If Clabo and Dahl can't stay, I like Richie Incognito or Davin Joseph (guard) and Marshal Yanda (tackle), but would give the young guys (Andrew Jackson, Jose Valdez) ample opportunity to earn the starting spot.

~lw3

Possible players they can cut for cap relief:

Jenkins WR - save $2 - 2.5 mill in cap space by cutting him

Davis DE - save $2 - 2.5 mill in cap space by cutting him

Anderson DE/DR - former #7 overall pick is now serviceable but his contract is too big. Can save $2 - 2.5 mill in cap space by cutting him.

The Falcons have a lot of free agents that could be in demand:

Clabo - #1 RT in free agency and is coming off a Pro Bowl year. He could get an offer of $9-$10 mill per year. The Falcons cannot pay that to their RT. We have too much money in our skill positions to pay a RT that.

Dahl - a proven starter with a nasty streak coaches love and opposing player hate. He could be priced to high as well.

Blalock. entering his prime at 27. He may attract more attention then his more well known teamates in free agencey. He is the OL I want to keep the most.

Snelling - could go from backup money to starter money. Falcons cannot pay him starter money.

Snelling will probably get an offer we cannot pay to our backup. We can replace him with a proven veteran RB for cheap though. Veteran RBs are every where (R. Brown, Addi. Barber, Bell, Bennett, Betts, Benson , Fargas, Jones, Maroney, McClain, Portis, R. Williams, C. Williams. So needless to say this is not a position I would over pay for.

So what do you want the Falcons to do ?

Cut Davis, Anderson, and Jenkins to open up about $7 mill cap room ?

Sign as many of our own free agents as possible even though that means there is no money left to add a DE or NB ?

Sign a big time DE (Edwards or Johnson) and use what is left to keep maybe 2 of our own free agents ?

Sign a cheaper DE (like Babin) and keep 3 or 4 of our free agents ?

It will be interesting and will happen very very fast.

I don't think we can afford to cut Anderson, given that our DL is one of our biggest weaknesses, and we tend to be slight up-front. He is a very good run-stopper who would be hard to replace. I think signing a bigtime DE and then keeping Dahl/Blalock should be priorities. Snelling will have to be let go, and that's why we drafted the back out of OSU. We should cut Jenkins, and drafting Jones makes it a no-brainer. Signing Edwards makes cutting Davis another no-brainer. Clabo will probably walk, and that sucks. I am astonished that 9-10 mil is the predicted contract. That is too much for an RT. I also think Clabo, though very good, is more a product of his system rather than a truly elite blocker.

I don't think we can afford to cut Anderson, given that our DL is one of our biggest weaknesses, and we tend to be slight up-front. He is a very good run-stopper who would be hard to replace. I think signing a bigtime DE and then keeping Dahl/Blalock should be priorities. Snelling will have to be let go, and that's why we drafted the back out of OSU. We should cut Jenkins, and drafting Jones makes it a no-brainer. Signing Edwards makes cutting Davis another no-brainer. Clabo will probably walk, and that sucks. I am astonished that 9-10 mil is the predicted contract. That is too much for an RT. I also think Clabo, though very good, is more a product of his system rather than a truly elite blocker.

I agree Clabo is overrated. Matt Ryan's ability to get rid of the football so quickly keeps the sack numbers down. It makes our O-Line look better. Both Dahl and Clabo are excellent run blockers but Ryan covers up their pass block weakness with his quick delivery. I think the FO and coaching staff wants to throw more this year so more well balanced blockers on the right side of the O-line would be warranted.

Blalock is the O-lineman I want to keep the most. I'm fine with letting Dahl walk b/c I think he is over rated. (I'm a season ticket holder at every game and pay alot of attention to our O-Line.) Dahl has lost alot of his run blocking pop or was playing hurt last year. I do love watching play after the echo of the whistle though. I think M. Johnson is ready to step in and start at G and I would not count him out at RT either.

As far as J Anderson goes, I agree wee need him for depth and his ability to play DT and DE helps his value. I think a better veteran may come play for Atlanta on the cheap for a chance to win. We currently have Babbineaux, Peters, and Jerry as out top 3 DTs. I'd say JAM is the #4 DT and the #3 DE right now. I agree we need more depth there. V. Walker could be brought back for cheap. T. Lewis is just an injury waiting to happen so he is gone.

The only way I would cut JAM is if we use his cap savings to bring in a cheaper DT option and throw a few nickles at DE capable of being a Pro Bowler.

Edited by coachx

Atlanta would have about $20 mill under the new $120 mill cap + a $3 mill expception.

Current free agents of note with their position: Clabo RT, Dahl RG, Blalock LG, Weems KR/WR, Peterson OLB, Nichols OLB, Snelling RB

I'm slipping..............I forgot to list Brent Grimes as a free agent as well.

He is coming off a Pro Bowl season (as an injury replacement). I think he will get interest but nothing huge b/c of his 5'9'' frame. I think the Falcons can keep him for a fair market price.

Problem is that would be even more money out of the available cap room. Not to mention our Kicker & Punter are both also FA's. Atlanta has 3 free agents who were in the Pro Bowl last season ( Clabo, Grimes, Weems).

It will be interesting to see what Dimitroff does with his remaining poker chips. I think he will be forced to make some difficult cuts and decisions (as far as who to let walk in free agency) when deciding where to allocate the remaining cap room.

Edited by coachx

Some Falcons news on what their beat write whas hearing over the weekend surrounding free agent destinations.

http://blogs.ajc.com..._medium=twitter

With most of the NFL writers in town last week, we passed some time during the eight-hour league’ meeting cross-checking free agency notes, catching up on league gossip, rumor and innuendo.

Here are five things we heard bouncing of the walls of the swank Atlanta Airport Marriott Gateway:

Ray Edwards is headed elsewhere: The Falcons reportedly have had a change of heart. They are going to focus on retaining their 11 free agents and will not be a player in the Ray Edwards derby. The defensive end is expected to land in Philadelphia.

Tyson Clabo is staying put: Although the Falcons planned for a potential exodus of offensive linemen, they appear ready to retain two of the three starters. The order of priority is believed to be Clabo, Harvey Dahl and then Justin Blalock.

Stephen Nicholas is headed to the New York Giants: Nicholas is viewed as a potential starter for the Giants. For the Falcons, he opened last season as a reserve. He has started 24 of the last 32 regular-season games with the Falcons.

If no Edwards, what are the Falcons going to do at defensive end? I didn’t get a plausible answer for this. Kroy Biermann thinks he can make another leap if he doesn’t have to play on special teams.

Charles Johnson likely headed back to Carolina: Johnson, the former UGA standout, could be another defensive end target, but Carolina general manager Marty Hurney said it was rather easy to figure out their priorities. Translation: They plan to re-sign Johnson and running back DeAngelo Williams.

Interesting how the Giants like to pluck our LBs. They did the same with M. Boley. No big deal here. Peterson will be cheaper and equally productive plus Weatherspoon should have his coming out year at OLB in season #2.

The Falcons still have to at least come up with a rotation DE. Biermann is a high motor guy, but he runs out of gas fast. He needs to be in a heavy rotation with another high motor guy. Plus, we have to find a replacement for Abraham.

This is my biggest disappointment with T.D. he seems allergic to finding us a pass-rushing end. Edwards isn't a star in the making, but he's a guy that could be plugged into the rotation. Johnson would be awesome if we can convince him to leave the Panthers. My guess is the Panthers will franchise him (if they have that available- they may not...). If they don't have the franchise available, why would Johnson stay in NC? Bring him home TD.

Falcons sign Noel Devine and 3 other undrafted free agent rookies.

Bummer............nor it appear Devine has had a change of heart and will sign with the Eagles instead. Undrafted rookies could not actually sign deal until this morning. Devine reportedly had a 3 year deal agreed upon with Atlanta yesterday morning before having a change of heart and deciding to go with the Eagles.

Bummer.............the guy is fast and would be perfect on the 9 + turf games Atlanta plays per season. Maybe the RB out a of Florida A&M (who ran a 4.42 himself) can push J. Rodgers and give us some preseason entertainment.

Falcons list of UDFA's thanks to Tandy over on the Falcons board. Remember last seasons roster had 2 Pro Bowlers who were undrafted (Clabo and Grimes) plus another solid starter who was undrafted in Dahl).

http://life.atlantafalcons.com/topic/3923655-one-place-to-list-our-udfa-signings/page__st__80

Name Pos School Height, Weight Status

Adam Froman QB Louisville 6'4", 220 Multiple reports

Andrew Schulze LS Iowa 6'6", 255 Reported

Darrin Walls CB Notre Dame 6', 190 Confirmed by player

DJ Davis WR Oregon 6'1", 205 Reported

Doug Beaumont WR Louisville 5'9", 187 Confirmed by player

Kiante Tripp DL Georgia 6'6", 293 Multiple reports

Kirk Belgrave CB Kent State 6'1", 205 Confirmed by school

LaMarcus Thompson LB Tennessee 6'1", 226 Reported

Lucas Cox FB Georgia Tech 6', 245 Report

Matt Hansen LB Rhode Island 5'11", 230 Confirmed by player

Matt Murphy OT UNLV 6'4", 300 Multiple reports

Noel Devine RB West Virginia 5'8", 179 Reported, but disputed

Paul Fenaroli C Stony Brook 6'2", 300 Confirmed by school

Philip Sylvester RB Florida A&M 5'8", 194 Multiple reports

Rob McGill OT La. Tech 6'3", 310 Confirmed by school

Ryan Winterswyk DE/TE Boise State 6'4", 268 Multiple reports

Tom McCarthy DL/LB Yale 6'5", 265 Reported

Youri Yenga OLB SMU 6'1", 231 Multiple reports

Edited by coachx
  • Like 1

• Moderators

via Nick Kostos (@TheKostos), producer of Sirius XM Radio show with Adam Schein and Rich Gannon:

LOL. Charles Johnson on the air now. Said he was "surprised" by the#Panthers offer and didn't expect it, and jumped on it. Hilarious.

Johnson said he considered the #Falcons, but the money "wasn't even close". Too funny. Johnson sounds like he just won the lottery. He did.

~lw3

Julian Peterson back in the fold.

Mike Peterson

I think cuts have to made by 6:00 PM today in order to get cap savings for the 2011-12 season. I'm hoping Jenkins, J. Anderson, and C. Davis get cut today. That would open up about $7.5 mill in cap room that could be invested in the defense. Possibly put it towards Edwards or a nickle back upgrade.

Edited by coachx
  • Like 1

I think cuts have to made by 6:00 PM today in order to get cap savings for the 2011-12 season. I'm hoping Jenkins, J. Anderson, and C. Davis get cut today. That would open up about $7.5 mill in cap room that could be invested in the defense. Possibly put it towards Edwards or a nickle back upgrade.

I was wrong on the 6:00 PM think. I'm not sure when that final cut date is.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/atlanta-falcons/falcons-sign-clabo-jones-1056157.html

Falcons sign Clabo for 5 years $25 mill. That sounds like a steal for a guy coming off a All Pro season at RT. The Bills are pissed and claim they offered him more money. Hard to blame Clabo since living in Buffalo would be quite painful.

Falcons also signed draft picks Julio Jones and Jaquizz Rodgers so they will be ready for the 1st practice.

http://twitter.com/#!/AdamSchefter

http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-falcons-blog/2011/07/29/falcons-release-former-first-rounders-anderson-jenkins/

Falcons cut Michaels Jenkins and Jamal Anderson to make cap room. I have seen reports where they saves some where between $5 mill and $7.8 mill in cap room (depending on which writer you believe).

I'm hearing rumors on message boards that Falcons may try to bring Jenkins back at a lower salary.

With the extra cap room the Falcons beat writer think they will go after Ray Edwards. There are also reports the Giants will trade Osi on the cheap since he is unhappy with his contract. It appears the Falcons may get their DE upgrade after all.

Mad props to Dimitroff for keeping Clabo on a reasonable contract.

Damn Falcons board crashed, lol

They are updating it this week. Its a temporary issue.

TD is still da' man ! He signed Clabo and Edwards to contracts lower then most predicted they would get. Still plenty of cap room to keep Blalock and Grimes.

What I love about Ray Edwards is that he is just 26 year old. He is actually entering him prime this season. We should get the best 5 years out of his career with this contract.

Reports are coming out that Dahl and Snelling are signing with the Rams.

I'll miss Snelling but there will be plenty of RBs in FA after the dust settles for bargains.

Vladez, M. Johnson, and Reynolds will have a fierce competition to fill in for Dahl if we indeed lose him.

Edited by coachx

• Moderators

Yep, Dahl's out of here officially, to St. Looey. Loving the dome-to-dome transfers!

'Tis wild to me that Edwards' whole contract (5/$30 w/ $11 guaranteed) is equal to Charles Johnson's signing bonus (6/$72 w/ $30 bonus). With Johnson & Koenen, it's as if the NFC South opponents are shelling out bucks out of desperation. Great deal by TD and the gang.

~lw3