• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Joe's training with Kevin Durant

CWebb

Durant certainly could learn to gain just a fraction of Joe's handle. They slow-mo'd his two weak crossovers just to add some dramatic emphasis while Joe was putting on his usual dribble mastery. Joe was a tad weak and gassed trying to finish on those post possessions at the end though.

• Premium Member

Thanks man. I've been dying to see something, anything Hawks basketball related for a while now. Nice video. Sometimes, it's easy to forget how gifted JJ really is and how hard he works on his game. He's a real deal star in this league and I hope he takes his game to another level next season.

• Like 2

Thanks man. I've been dying to see something, anything Hawks basketball related for a while now. Nice video. Sometimes, it's easy to forget how gifted JJ really is and how hard he works on his game. He's a real deal star in this league and I hope he takes his game to another level next season.

Me too, it's glad to see he's still doing what he does....go to work.

• Premium Member

The difference between Joe and KD is that KD knows how to translate his game onto the NBA alot better than Joe does. Seeing this video makes me think, why is Joe not a top five player in the league when KD is?

That extra height and reach makes a HUGE difference. JJ clearly has more 'skill' than Durant, but he doesn't have that freakish length that gives Durant an advantage during the game. That length is the only advantage I think Durant has at the moment. I think the only thing really holding JJ back is decision making. He has to be quick and decisive with his moves and stop 'surveying' the floor. He's still kinda stuck in the PG mode sometimes, or at least his interpretation of a PG. There were so many times last season when I wanted him to just hand the ball off to the PG, get a screen or two to get loose, get the ball, and GO. He would be a monster if he did more of that.

Edited by hawkman
  • Like 1

Although I'm against the lockout, it will benefit JJ in getting 100% healthy. He's the 3rd best SG in the league only behind Kobe and Dwade and if we could add a defensive post presence and Teague continues to gain confidence we could be the "OKC/Memphis" of the east. We're still young and and if we could add a few more pieces we could be very good. Good vid on JJ, Hopefully Smoove, Teague, and Horford are working even harder.

That extra height and reach makes a HUGE difference. JJ clearly has more 'skill' than Durant, but he doesn't have that freakish length that gives Durant an advantage during the game. That length is the only advantage I think Durant has at the moment. I think the only thing really holding JJ back is decision making. He has to be quick and decisive with his moves and stop 'surveying' the floor. He's still kinda stuck in the PG mode sometimes, or at least his interpretation of a PG. There were so many times last season when I wanted him to just hand the ball off to the PG, get a screen or two to get loose, get the ball, and GO. He would be a monster if he did more of that.

Still Joe is quite the physical specimen himself at 6'8 240+, he should be reeking havoc in the paint and getting to the free throw line atleast 8 times a game.

• Premium Member

And...

KD plays Sf. He's long and he can hit from outside so he's a very hard cover for most Sf because he's shooting over them.

I agree on JJ and his decisions. JJ has been infamous for holding the ball too long because there was really nobody to pass to that could finish until Jamal. KD on the other hand is not a major ball handler so he doesn't get stuck with the holding the ball syndrome.

The biggest difference is mentality. Kevin Durant wants to be the lead dog and attacks the basket. Joe wants to be the lead dog, but too often settles for either taking a bad shot after holding the ball too long or taking a long jumper. Durant shot 675 free throw attempts to Joe's 243, which shows me that Kevin is attacking the basket and is scoring efficiently.

Also, Kevin is a better defender and is better on the boards. Kevin had 476 defensive rebounds, 88 steals, and 76 blocks. Joe had 232 defensive rebounds, 47 steals, and 7 blocks.

There is a significant gap between these two players, and I highly doubt that Joe is going to suddenly become a guy that attacks the basket relentlessly and becomes a defensive playmaker.

• Moderators

Great video. There is no doubt that the single area of Joe's game that could most improve his play is consistently getting to the line. He has the size and handle to do that but not the mentality.

The difference between Joe and KD is that KD knows how to translate his game onto the NBA alot better than Joe does. Seeing this video makes me think, why is Joe not a top five player in the league when KD is?

Durant's measurement at 19 before he was drafted:

9'3.5'' standing reach (That is taller then most NBA centers)

7'6.75'' wing span (That is longer then most NBA centers)

JJ's measurements before being drafted at age 20:

8'9'' standing reach

6'9'' wing span

Durant can shoot over anyone with that length of his. Durant has a 6.5'' standing reach advantage and a 9.75'' wing span advantage over Joe Johnson.

Give Joe Johnson those same "Go-Go Gadjet Arms" and he would be a much better player too.

Great video. There is no doubt that the single area of Joe's game that could most improve his play is consistently getting to the line. He has the size and handle to do that but not the mentality.

JJ has to take acting classes from Wade, Pierce, and James to get to the line more. If you can't beat 'em, then join 'em.

Edited by coachx

• Moderators

JJ has to take acting classes from Wade, Pierce, and James to get to the line more. If you can't beat 'em, then join 'em.

Whatever it takes. You can't let a guy like Kevin Martin get to the line 9.3 times per 36 minutes and then see JJ at barely more than 1/3 of that rate: 3.4 fta/36.

Among SG/SFs averaging 17 ppg or more last season, JJ is dead last in the league and by a significant margin:

Kevin Martin 9.3 fta/36 (274% of JJ's fta/36)

Dwayne Wade 8.3 fta/36 (244%)

Kevin Durant 8.0 fta/36 (235%)

Camelo Anthony 7.9 fta/36 (232%)

Lebron James 7.8 fta/36 (229%)

Kobe Bryant 7.6 fta/36 (224%)

Danny Granger 6.1 fta/36 (179%)

Manu Ginobili 6.1 fta/36 (179%)

Eric Gordon 5.9 fta/36 (174%)

Paul Pierce 5.8 fta/36 (171%)

Demar Derozen 5.1 fta/36 (150%)

Monta Ellis 4.8 fta/36 (141%)

Stephen Jackson 4.6 fta/36 (135%)

Michael Beasley 4.4 fta/36 (129%)

Nick Young 4.0 fta/36 (118%)

Luol Deng 3.8 fta/36 (112%)

Joe Johnson 3.4 fta/36

That represents a wide range of personality types and playing styles but JJ is significantly behind every one of those players. It is the low hanging fruit of his game.

Thanks for the vid. It shows the level of skill JJ still posseses. He needs to spend 99% of his time this summer working on facing double-teams. That has been a big problem for him. When teams play him one-on-one he has absolutely killed them. If he works on making quicker decisions against double-teams and being in attack mode at all times, he can return to elite status.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

So does this mean Joe is gonna average 30-5-5 this season? lol. but seriously if he did....whew.

Man, if only a guy like Marvin had a work ethic like Joe...

Marv could actually be working out... who knows. Likely? I don't know... but he's irrelevant enough that there would be no workout footy of him. I haven't seen any of Josh either... just those exhibitions where he's still shooting long jumpers. doh.gif