• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Ivan Johnson

RT3

The kid can play ball and that's all you need. Smooth jumper with sf quickness when handling the ball. Can finish at the bucket, even over bigger forwards. He brings a complimentary toughness to ZaZa while on the floor. Don't see why you don't like him..? Reggie Evans is the same exact player with less of a shot. Don't know why he keeps coming up in discussions. Reggie is a glorified trash player. Ivan will be a nice pick up. ONA: Horford looked really suspect last night.

WOW - that's interesting reading...really makes you wonder. If the author is correct and he really is that good - it would be a shame to pass on him just because he is a dangerous lunatic. crazy.gif

LOL - Sign him. Sounds like they banned him in Korea for giving the ref the finger. ("Obscene gesture"). Guess they don't take any crap over there......

BTW - why would anyone play in the D-league when you can make twice as much money in a month in China than they pay in the D-league in a season?

• Moderators

I certainly don't mind disagreement - but at least know what you are talking about...or check.

Ben Wallace came out of Va. Union and was a rookie at age 22. It did take him a couple years to get good playing time.

He really made it as a starter at age 25 when he started 81 games. He started 80 games as a 26 year old and had the first of his four consecutive 1000+ rebound years.

When he was 27 he had 1052 rebounds (his highest career total) and was an established force in the league.

Whether he was "known" - by you - doesn't matter.

(and that's not made up Bullsh*t or sarcasm kickcan.gif )

I agree.

Seems like everyone read the part about his great offensive skills and his anger problem. There was a section about how he has no fundamental defensive skills and rarely makes an effort on defense. That translates into a guy you can't afford to play because he will get torched in the nba. Sounds like a 10 day contract to me. I agree we could use a little spark but lets be realistic.

Edited by macdaddy
  • Like 1

If we can't get a minimum salary top notch rebounder off the bench I would like a post-scorer. This guy may be that and then some. I like this guy and his baggage may be behind him. If it's not. Cut him. Just give him a shot on this roster IMO.

W

• Like 1

If we can't get a minimum salary top notch rebounder off the bench I would like a post-scorer. This guy may be that and then some. I like this guy and his baggage may be behind him. If it's not. Cut him. Just give him a shot on this roster IMO.

W

Yep. Maybe we get lucky and find a player that can contribute off the bench. It is not like he will be taking away from a future stars minutes.

• Premium Member
I've always wondered why there haven't been guys who are athletc but short on talent use Rodman as a model to find their place in the NBA. Not saying this guy is like him but he has good energy.

Because of the "P" word.

GMs are more likely to go with a desireless guy with loads of potential (hello Marvin) than to go with a guy who has a blue collar work ethic and much desire.

I've always wondered why there haven't been guys who are athletc but short on talent use Rodman as a model to find their place in the NBA. Not saying this guy is like him but he has good energy.

The Rodman-model might be appropriate with Ivan the terrible but for all the wrong reasons. I want to keep the guy but his past behavior would seem to be just short of awful at times. THAT more than a short-coming on the part of GMs selecting talent would seem to be why Ivan's road to the NBA has been so long.

• Premium Member

Watching some d-league highlights yesterday, my thought was "Othello with a jump shot." But looking around, I'm not finding many better alternatives, and indeed, conventional wisdom would suggest that he's at an age where his basketball production should be peaking... so give him a shot until/unless something better comes along... maybe, say, a big from Iran whose visa problems were enough of a hassle for MEM to cut him loose (?).

• Like 1

Maybe it doesn't take a lot t impress me but I like the guy. Didn't seem to play lazy.

Grabs some rebounds. Hits some shots. Stands his ground.

So, he's fighting for a bench spot, playing against bench players. So what. If he didn't

do these things, there would be nothing to be impressed with. The fact remains, he did.

And, really, what were we looking for?

Someone to do exactly what he did. Maybe he will not be able to continue to do this.

Release him. But, maybe he does continue to work hard and do what needs doing.

He's not expected to take anyone's starting job, is he? Nope. Just be a good player

off the bench. Give us a few good minutes every night.

I believe he's a keeper.

GO HAWKS!!

• Like 1