• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Marvin for Sessions

Swatguy

Oh poor poor Dolfan, how foolish. This guy has a job publishing things with a paper. Clearly he knows what he is talking about. Let's accept this as truth and what you say as rubbish. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

threaten.gifrtfm.gifbutcher.gifvinsent.gifaikido.giffuck.gifblack_eye.gifbottom.gif

the trade is going to be hinrich,marvin and maybe a 1st for jamison,session book it

I don't see us giving up another 1st after giving up one this past year for Hinrich and we'd be adding 4 million in salary and that's absolutely not going to happen as we're already over the tax line and this would be a dollar-for-dollar tax so it would cost us 8 million.

One rumor making its rounds is the Cavs sending guard Ramon Sessions to Atlanta for small forward Marvin Williams. That doesn’t work under the salary cap, as Williams is making $7.5 million, compared to Sessions’ $4.3 million.

The Cavs are below the salary cap so they can take back more salary then they trade away.

1st off... overreact much?! Sheesh it's not like we're looking to move a superstar here, it's Marvin underperforming and getting worse Williams. We'd miss his defense and 3pt shooting ability but it's time for him to move on and a shakeup of the team is desperately needed.

2nd, did y'all miss this part?

3rd... I am skeptical on this because of this part that is incorrect based on what Marvin told us:

Finally... Sessions is a decent player and would at least replace the production that Marvin gives us and it gives us a little more long term flexibility and the opportunity to move Hinrich now to LA for a pick.

Do I believe this rumor as it stands? I don't know. I do know that the Cavs have wanted Marvin for a while now and the foundation of this makes sense but there would have to be more involved to make the deal work under the CBA.

Update: Actually the writer is incorrect as the deal DOES work because the Cavs are 6.8 million under the cap. That makes me really think this writer didn't do much investigating, if any, about this "rumor". It does make the rumor make a lot more sense as I believe cutting 3 million off the cap would get us under the luxury tax without having to move Hinrich, although we'd really be dumb to not try and get some frontcourt help by trading him. The good thing if this deal did happen is that we could move Hinrich to anyone now and be able to actually get a player back and still be under the luxury tax, whereas before it seemed that moving Hinrich to a team under the cap or to a team with a TPE like the Lakers would be the only real option to get us under the tax line.

I referenced "Rumor Central". The writer does state "Williams is on the books this season for $7.5 million, while Sessions is at $4.25 million. The Cavaliers are roughly $7 million below the salary cap, which make this one-for-one trade possible." I don't know what you reference.

I referenced "Rumor Central". The writer does state "Williams is on the books this season for $7.5 million, while Sessions is at $4.25 million. The Cavaliers are roughly $7 million below the salary cap, which make this one-for-one trade possible." I don't know what you reference.

I referenced the link that "rumor central" got it from, which if you click the very 1st link in your post goes to the Cleveland paper. As a matter of fact I don't see a single link to "rumor central" in your post.

Can the myth of Marvin shutting down LeBron, Melo, Durant please cease? He is a good defender, but we overrate him.

Ramon Sessions is actually a PG with vision. Teague is a combo guard that can attack at times but his vision is non-existent if it isn't a fast break. Ramon attacks and has PG vision. We needed a year to see Teague, and now that we have, we see he isn't starting PG material.... at least for this team.

Edited by GameTime

Because I didn't in the post. Keep coming back Dolf, more will be revealed.

In the future you need to include a link to where you get the text you've copied as we can be held responsible for that.

It also makes just a tiny bit of sense to do that when you claim to have "referenced" something, to actually "reference" it.

Can the myth of Marvin shutting down LeBron, Melo, Durant please cease? He is a good defender, but we overrate him.

Ramon Sessions is actually a PG with vision. Teague is a combo guard that can attack at times but his vision is non-existent if it isn't a fast break. Ramon attacks and has PG vision. We needed a year to see Teague, and now that we have, we see he isn't starting PG material.... at least for this team.

That's bullsh*t, I had the displeasure of watching a lot of his games on LP over the years. He's one of the most frustrating PG's in the NBA. Not just because of shortcomings but because he tries hard but he just isn't any good in a position where most teams have a PG or two better than him. He's worst than Hinrich and Teague. I watched enough of his games to where I will very confidently say that. Ramon has as much court vision as Teague with far less talent. He just more polished and smarter but Jeff can have a lot more impact on a game. Ramon is a scrub. No real other way around it. To even suggest that his production can rival Marvin is a complete disrespect to Marvin Williams game. I sware you don't realize how stupid you guys sound to me right now on this. Ramon Sessions is a f**king scrub. Damnit I hate rumors like this.

Edited by nbasuperstar40

• Moderators

Sessions is not worth much (he is a limited role player who can do some positive things but whose liabilities are significant enough that he'll never start on a winner) so I would view this as a dump trade with the idea that the trade gives us the flexibility to also deal Kirk. (As with any trade rumor, there is no reason to give this one too much credence. Reports of player discontent, however, tend to be pretty credible.)

Edited by AHF

That's bullsh*t, I had the displeasure of watching a lot of his games on LP over the years. He's one of the most frustrating PG's in the NBA. Not just because of shortcomings but because he tries hard but he just isn't any good in a position where most teams have a PG or two better than him. He's worst than Hinrich and Teague. I watched enough of his games to where I will very confidently say that. Ramon has as much court vision as Teague with far less talent. He just more polished and smarter but Jeff can have a lot more impact on a game. Ramon is a scrub. No real other way around it. To even suggest that his production can rival Marvin is a complete disrespect to Marvin Williams game. I sware you don't realize who stupid you guys sound to me right now on this. Ramon Sessions is a f**king scrub. Damnit I hate rumors like this.

1st off cool it on the language.

2nd, I'm not sure what you're talking about. Sessions may not be Steve Nash but he's FAR more of a natural PG than Teague is. For his career Sessions has averaged 5 assists per game and he's done that on marginal to bad teams and in his 1st year he averaged nearly 8 assists per game. Heck this year he's averaging 1 more assist per game than Teague while playing 6 less and he's doing it coming off the bench. I'm not going to claim to have watched tons of his games but I've seen enough to know that he, like the overwhelming majority of PGs in this league capable of starting, have better vision or natural passing instincts than Teague does. Teague is without a doubt the better scorer and he's probably the better defender as well but I'd be very happy to add Sessions to the mix to see what he'd be capable of.

• Like 2

2nd, I'm not sure what you're talking about. Sessions may not be Steve Nash but he's FAR more of a natural PG than Teague is. For his career Sessions has averaged 5 assists per game and he's done that on marginal to bad teams and in his 1st year he averaged nearly 8 assists per game. Heck this year he's averaging 1 more assist per game than Teague while playing 6 less and he's doing it coming off the bench. I'm not going to claim to have watched tons of his games but I've seen enough to know that he, like the overwhelming majority of PGs in this league capable of starting, have better vision or natural passing instincts than Teague does. Teague is without a doubt the better scorer and he's probably the better defender as well but I'd be very happy to add Sessions to the mix to see what he'd be capable of.

He's a combo guard like Teague. Nothing natural PG about him. You might as well tell me Pargo is a natural PG. You will be so disappointed if you think Sessions is any good.

The sad thing about this is ASG might do this even if Sund doesn't want to do this.

I am one of the few who actually LIKES combo PG's. But they have to fit whatever system or personnel grouping their in, have a lot of talent, and play defense. I am one of those who actually likes Russell Westbrook. He's not my personal fav but I respect his game a ton.

Edited by nbasuperstar40

• Premium Member

The only way this makes sense to me is to enable the team to dump Marvin's salary and try to do something with Kirk at the deadline to improve the front court. What I don't think people are realizing is without Marvin we have no real starting small forward. We'd be better off putting Joe at SF and going small in the backcourt.

He's a combo guard like Teague. Nothing natural PG about him. You might as well tell me Pargo is a natural PG. You will be so disappointed if you think Sessions is any good.

The sad thing about this is ASG might do this even if Sund doesn't want to do this.

I haven't seen many combo guards get 13 or 16 assists in a game like Sessions did in back to back games 2 weeks ago. I haven't seen many combo guards average nearly 8 assists per game for an entire season, like Sessions did as a rookie 5 years ago. I haven't seen many combo guards get 24 assists in a single game, like Sessions did back in 08. But even IF he is a "combo guard" then hell we'd be lucky to have a guy who has a career high of 44 points in a game, higher than any Joe Johnson has ever had, or 24 assists in a game, which I believe is higher than any PG the Hawks have had in at least the past decade and a half.

The only way this makes sense to me is to enable the team to dump Marvin's salary and try to do something with Kirk at the deadline to improve the front court. What I don't think people are realizing is without Marvin we have no real starting small forward. We'd be better off putting Joe at SF and going small in the backcourt.

That wouldn't surprise me if we did that as a way to help Joe's knees and to help with the backcourt jam we'd have even more of.

• Like 1

You beat me to it, but I was going to say he was averaging 1 assist more than Teague in 6 minutes less playing time. He also draws fouls and gets to the free throw line, and he shoots 80%+ from the line.

Maybe the trade would be Jamison & Sessions for Marvin and Hinrich (and throw in(s) if ASG doesn't want to take on more salary than they're giving up.)

I was hopeful we'd get Sessions last season, but it didn't work out that way. I was immediately impressed with Hinrich last year, because of his defense, and because he made crisp bounce passes (something we hadn't seen much of around these parts in a long time). However, this year he is no where near as impressive, so I'd be ok with moving him at this point. Plus, any chance to unload Marvin would be great.

You beat me to it, but I was going to say he was averaging 1 assist more than Teague in 6 minutes less playing time. He also draws fouls and gets to the free throw line, and he shoots 80%+ from the line.

Maybe the trade would be Jamison & Sessions for Marvin and Hinrich (and throw in(s) if ASG doesn't want to take on more salary than they're giving up.)

I was hopeful we'd get Sessions last season, but it didn't work out that way. I was immediately impressed with Hinrich last year, because of his defense, and because he made crisp bounce passes (something we hadn't seen much of around these parts in a long time). However, this year he is no where near as impressive, so I'd be ok with moving him at this point. Plus, any chance to unload Marvin would be great.

I think this deal was rumored last year, or maybe it was Teague for Sessions (which I'm glad didn't happen), but I'd be fine with Marvin for Sessions this year.

The problem with the bigger deal is that we'd be adding 4 million and in order for us to make up that difference we'd either have to include Zaza (not happening) or several of our bench players since we don't have any bench players outside of Zaza and Hinrich making more than 1 million and since it would take 4-5 of those guys to make up that difference I just don't see it happening.

I haven't seen many combo guards get 13 or 16 assists in a game like Sessions did in back to back games 2 weeks ago. I haven't seen many combo guards average nearly 8 assists per game for an entire season, like Sessions did as a rookie 5 years ago. I haven't seen many combo guards get 24 assists in a single game, like Sessions did back in 08. But even IF he is a "combo guard" then hell we'd be lucky to have a guy who has a career high of 44 points in a game, higher than any Joe Johnson has ever had, or 24 assists in a game, which I believe is higher than any PG the Hawks have had in at least the past decade and a half.

He's a good passer. That's the one thing about him that's a positive. I don't need stats to say it, I watch him over the years when I felt Atlanta needed a PG.

He's a good passer. That's the one thing about him that's a positive. I don't need stats to say it, I watch him over the years when I felt Atlanta needed a PG.

That's EXACTLY my point. He's a good passer, he has good vision and good passing ability and while he can score in bunches, he's also fully capable of getting others involved and that is something that we don't do nearly enough from the PG spot.

• Moderators

I would not want to add $4M to the cap and deal Kirk for nothing that will be around in 2 years (Jamison). If I were going to go this route, I would want a building piece or pick, etc. for Kirk.