• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Marvin for Sessions

Swatguy

I don't think this is true. We need to find playing time for Pargo, who is producing... this doesn't help that at all.

Sessions in a young-ish (25) player who we could build a nice rotation around with he and Teague. I like Pargo but he's no spring chicken (32) and I don't see him sticking on the Hawks past this year.

Sessions eh? Well he's no OJ Mayo that's for sure.

:ohnyd:

I would not want to add $4M to the cap and deal Kirk for nothing that will be around in 2 years (Jamison). If I were going to go this route, I would want a building piece or pick, etc. for Kirk.

The new AHF themed emoticon :ahf:

• Premium Member

First off, let me say that it's good to see the Marvin Protection Force in full protection gear.

Secondly, let me say, let's first understand some of the deals being suggested.

The first deal I encountered on this was this morning.

Marvin/Hinrich/1st for Session/Jamison

why do I believe that this is the trade? It makes sense.

First off.. Chris Gant is a Marvin believer. He was a part of the group that said Marvin would be great. He blinked last year with Marvin for TPE so that we can sign Shaq. This year however, he wants his Marvin.

2. This makes sense because they get a first. Let's face it, Marvin is a shot in the dark.

3. This makes sense because we get Jamison.

Why does Jamison make sense for us? He is still putting up over 17 a game. He is a low post scorer or perimeter scorer. He has played some C before. At the end of the year, he's 15 Million dollars back in the cap (to resign Smoove with).

4. Thia makes sense because of Kyrie. Kyrie will be ROY. The guy is spectacular. He doesn't need Sessons playing behind him.

5. This makes sense because of Mean Willie Green and Tmac. Both of these guys will get more playing time. Teague will have his feet to the fire because Teague, Sessions and Pargo are three the hard way.

It hurts to lose this first rounder but this move keeps Horf here and it's a win now move. The plan is to spread the court out with scorers. I really think Jamison will add alot to our team.

The other possibility is Marvin for Sessions straight.

It makes some sense.

But I would think Cleveland would want more. Sessions is a player, he's not a scrub.. regardless of what the MPF says.

First off, let me say that it's good to see the Marvin Protection Force in full protection gear.

First off.. Chris Gant is a Marvin believer. He was a part of the group that said Marvin would be great. He blinked last year with Marvin for TPE so that we can sign Shaq. This year however, he wants his Marvin.

2. This makes sense because they get a first. Let's face it, Marvin is a shot in the dark.

Why does Jamison make sense for us? He is still putting up over 17 a game. He is a low post scorer or perimeter scorer. He has played some C before. At the end of the year, he's 15 Million dollars back in the cap (to resign Smoove with).

4. Thia makes sense because of Kyrie. Kyrie will be ROY. The guy is spectacular. He doesn't need Sessons playing behind him.

5. This makes sense because of Mean Willie Green and Tmac. Both of these guys will get more playing time. Teague will have his feet to the fire because Teague, Sessions and Pargo are three the hard way.

It hurts to lose this first rounder but this move keeps Horf here and it's a win now move. The plan is to spread the court out with scorers. I really think Jamison will add alot to our team.

It makes some sense.

But I would think Cleveland would want more. Sessions is a player, he's not a scrub.. regardless of what the MPF says.

picard.gif

• Premium Member

It makes some sense.

The problem with the bigger deal is I think the rules prohibit the Hawks from trading first round picks in consecutive years. In addition, adding Jamison doesn't make the Hawks title contenders.

The deal straight up makes more sense. It would also allow the Hawks to use Kirk's expiring deal as part of a bigger deal to add a player(s) with a view to next year. More than just Marvin needs to be moved to right this sinking ship.

It makes some sense.

Even if we were able to trade a 1st round pick with it, we would be absolutely stupid to do so. Jamison is on the down end of his career anyays, and they want to get rid of him and his contract.

You remember how stupid it was to throw the 1st round pick to get Kirk? This would be just as dumb..

It makes some sense.

Every time you bring up the Marvin Protection Force you're staying classy D!

Secondly the bigger deal isn't going to happen as in addition to the draft pick inclusion being a problem, the deal also adds 2 x 4 million to our books for this year and there is NO WAY the ASG will do that.

• Moderators

The problem with the bigger deal is I think the rules prohibit the Hawks from trading first round picks in consecutive years. In addition, adding Jamison doesn't make the Hawks title contenders.

The deal straight up makes more sense. It would also allow the Hawks to use Kirk's expiring deal as part of a bigger deal to add a player(s) with a view to next year. More than just Marvin needs to be moved to right this sinking ship.

That rule only applies to future picks. The fact that we traded away last year's pick is irrelevant the day after last year's draft so that wouldn't be an obstacle.

Throwing in a first to get Jamison and Sessions would be crazy to me. They would leave us in the exact same position as we would be without them (likely first round exit from the playoffs with a cap of second round exit); they would push us well into the luxury tax; and we would be giving up a first round pick we desperately need to add depth and youth to this roster to do it. In less than 12 months, Jamison would be gone.

Save the $8M this would cost the Hawks this year and spend it on next year's team that will benefit from a cheap young talent on the roster as well.

Marvin for Sessions straight up followed by a Kirk trade makes much more sense to me.

That rule only applies to future picks. The fact that we traded away last year's pick is irrelevant the day after last year's draft so that wouldn't be an obstacle.

I wasn't aware that the rule was set up like that but it does make sense.

Throwing in a first to get Jamison and Sessions would be crazy to me. They would leave us in the exact same position as we would be without them (likely first round exit from the playoffs with a cap of second round exit); they would push us well into the luxury tax; and we would be giving up a first round pick we desperately need to add depth and youth to this roster to do it. In less than 12 months, Jamison would be gone.

After thinking about it over lunch I've come to the conclusion that I would NOT be willing to throw in a 1st as we'd be giving Cleveland a player that they desire, who is much younger than Jamison, and we'd be saving them 4 million this year. To me that is more than enough to justify the extra year and additional salary of adding Marvin to their payroll vs Sessions.

Save the $8M this would cost the Hawks this year and spend it on next year's team that will benefit from a cheap young talent on the roster as well.

Marvin for Sessions straight up followed by a Kirk trade makes much more sense to me.

Agreed, that makes a lot more sense to me.

Trading Marvin and two 1st for Steve Nash is a good trade.

Trading Marvin for a decent center is a good trade.

Trading Marvin for a bag of chips like Sessions is a BAD trade.

Edited by nbasuperstar40

• Premium Member

I don't understand how Sessions is being relegated to "scrub" status. This guy has shown in his career that when he's given minutes he produces. He's not a franchise point guard but he certainly isn't a scrub. Jerry Stackhouse at this point in his career is a scrub. Jason Collins is a scrub. Sessions is not a scrub.

I don't understand how Sessions is being relegated to "scrub" status. This guy has shown in his career that when he's given minutes he produces. He's not a franchise point guard but he certainly isn't a scrub. Jerry Stackhouse at this point in his career is a scrub. Jason Collins is a scrub. Sessions is not a scrub.

When your key trading pieces like Teague or Marvin for him. He becomes a scrub. Just like Marvin is a bust becasue he was drafted before CP3 and Deron when we have a need for a PG. He might not be a scrub in the truest of sense but he's a scrub in this deal because he doesn't fit a need and he's traded for someone who does who is also a lot better.

This is like this year's slam dunk contest. You know this is terrible a mile away no matter who many others say it could be good, stars win with average dunks anyway so it's no fun, etc.

Edited by nbasuperstar40

Notice that only one person here is claiming that Sessions is a scrub. If by scrub that person is referring to a 25 player with a career high scoring game which is higher than any Joe Johnson has had, then yes he's a scrub. Or if it refers to a player who has had a game with 24 assists and who's career season average in assists is better than our starting PGs best season, then yes he's a scrub.

When your key trading pieces like Teague or Marvin for him. He becomes a scrub. Just like Marvin is a bust becasue he was drafted before CP3 and Deron when we have a need for a PG. He might not be a scrub in the truest of sense but he's a scrub in this deal because he doesn't fit a need and he's traded for someone who does who is also a lot better.

That sentence confused the heck out of me. Who in this trade is a lot better than Sessions? Is Marvin a lot better than Sessions? Is Teague a lot better than Sessions?