• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Did anybody catch this?

Diesel

• Premium Member

I can't listen, what does he say?

The subject was Forbe listed Atlanta as being the most misraeble sports town.

Ambassador Young started talking about how he was pleased with what he sees when he goes to the Falcons games.

He then started talking about the Braves and said he doesn't go because they team hasn't tailored themselves to the city... (racial and uncomfortable.).

The subject was Forbe listed Atlanta as being the most misraeble sports town.

Ambassador Young started talking about how he was pleased with what he sees when he goes to the Falcons games.

He then started talking about the Braves and said he doesn't go because they team hasn't tailored themselves to the city... (racial and uncomfortable.).

What does he mean the Braves haven't tailored themselves to the city? I would really like to know what he means...

Here we go. The old civil rights warrior looking for some racism where he thinks he can find it. anyone who has never been to a Braves game are doing themselves a great disservice. Its a great family experience. I don't know what this guy is talking about. the braves are the heartbeat of this city. Maybe he means they should have TI and Lil' Jon perform at the 7th inning stretch. Go on there's nothing here to see.

Edited by Wurider05

• Moderators

What does he mean the Braves haven't tailored themselves to the city? I would really like to know what he means...

To be totally honest i think about that every time i go to the game. Sitting in downtown Atlanta listening to 'thank god i'm a country boy' while blond teenagers twirl around on the dugout. Most of their tv promotions involve country music stars although there have been a few exceptions. The John Denver has got to go though. Its not like he is even from the south. James Brown, Otis redding, hell play elvis or something.

• Premium Member

Here we go. The old civil rights warrior looking for some racism where he thinks he can find it. anyone who has never been to a Braves game are doing themselves a great disservice. Its a great family experience. I don't know what this guy is talking about. the braves are the heartbeat of this city. Maybe he means they should have TI and Lil' Jon perform at the 7th inning stretch. Go on there's nothing here to see.

I don't disagree with your point. I just think that Baseball has fallen way out of favor. I think that the popularity of other sports has more to do with that than race does.

People like rooting for people who they can relate to in some way. We should all stop acting surprised or naive about it.

That relation can be many things: race, background or even sexual attraction (men and women both root for people who they think are cute or sexy or whatever).

It is natural for minorities (whether in politics, sports, business, etc.) to root for "one of their own" to succeed, since they feel that relation.

It happens all the time, and people are somehow always suprised about it . . .

• Premium Member

People like rooting for people who they can relate to in some way. We should all stop acting surprised or naive about it.

That relation can be many things: race, background or even sexual attraction (men and women both root for people who they think are cute or sexy or whatever).

It is natural for minorities (whether in politics, sports, business, etc.) to root for "one of their own" to succeed, since they feel that relation.

It happens all the time, and people are somehow always suprised about it . . .

That tells me the Hawks need prettier cheerleaders.

Some are happy with Baseball but others see what it is. I see as a coach, as a former player, fan and historian, Baseball has abandon the Afro-American. On the college and pro-level. The best baseball seen was 1960 to 1985. The leveling of talent with the help of steroids allowed MLB to market those that can afford the higher tickets. It is true, 5% of D1 colleges have black baseball players. Look at GState, Tech and UGA. Baseball is back to "old boys", "country club" and corporate.

Metro Atlanta numbers more Blacks than any urban area outside of Africa. So the Braves and baseball care less about Black America.

Baseball abandon blacks? Or, did blacks abandon baseball for football and basketball.

Should we worry? Nope. 4 of 5 starters on the Hawks are not white. Look at the Falcons

and observe their starters. The majority are not white guys.

Baseball abandon blacks? Or, did blacks abandon baseball for football and basketball.

Should we worry? Nope. 4 of 5 starters on the Hawks are not white. Look at the Falcons

and observe their starters. The majority are not white guys.

The little leagues are filled in Atlanta. The middle and high schools turn players away. Explain why colleges are not recruiting in urban areas? When is the last time you saw a "utility player" on a MLB roster? The Black player has to hit the ball for 450 ft or run from first to home in 9 seconds. East Cobb and Columbus are not the only places baseball is played.

Edited by Swatguy

I refuse to agree that African-Americans have abandoned baseball. As a guy whom fell in love with the game at an early and played a ton of little league ball, I've seen the racial bias. For example, the majority of black teams in the Dekalb County area get less publicity and financial backing from area business than majority white teams. To be fair, a lot of the financial contributions from majority white teams come from professionally successful parents. But when it comes to county funding there's a severe lack in support.

Predominantly black high school teams suffer due to the lack of funding from the state. Therefore they continue to suffer without proper training resources. And like always, they fail to compete against highly funded and predominantly white schools.

I was considered to be a very talented baseball player coming up as a child. I had an high IQ, exceptional range in the out-field, a stellar arm, and a very strong command of the plate on the pitchers mound. But, once I enrolled into the predominantly white schools like Henderson Middle and Tucker High School, I was repeatedly looked over and cut. One of the worst times I was cut happened to be my junior year of high school. The coached picked a kid that was 5'2 and had the worst fielding skills I've ever seen. The Year before I didn't make the cut for JV even when the varsity coach was telling his players how good I was during catch and relay drills.

I blame the system that allows money and prejudice to be a reason why good minority talents are overlooked.

If Jason Heyward played to his potential instead of well below it, I'm sure Mr. Young wouldn't have made that statement. They traded last year for a Black lead-off guy who went to the All-Star Game the season before. True, a Braves game is a tough sell when it overlaps the much more compelling and talent-laden NBA and NFL, but I would never accuse baseball, or the Braves, of purposely freezing out African Americans. Based on Frank Wren's short career here, he seems like he could care less about race or even money. He has tried to field the best possible team, period, whether all Hispanic, white, or black. Like someone said earlier, the Black Athlete simply finds no glamour in baseball anymore because the other two sports have lapped it in terms of popularity and prestige of the stars. Isn't Matt Kemp a perennial MVP candidate? No sports-aware woman would know who he is if he had on a I Am Matt Kemp t-shirt. Now compare that to 20 years ago when women went crazy over guys like David Justice without knowing how many outs you had to get. You could write a book about the many ways baseball sabotaged it's own popularity with fans and potential great Black players. Without getting too general in terms if race, steroids just isn't in the Black Athletes thought unless you're some wierdo like Barry Bonds. After the firestorm, the sport just felt lame and meant for players who weren't naturally world-class athletes. Besides, look at the basic make-up of a baseball game and the oppurtunities for success. Hitting .300 is considered great. Really? Many nights you do absolutely nothing with no recognition. A dunk or a touchdown catch on Sportcenter is infinitely better than an RBI single on Baseball Tonight, especially with the ladies.

Edited by benhillboy

If Jason Heyward played to his potential instead of well below it, I'm sure Mr. Young wouldn't have made that statement. They traded last year for a Black lead-off guy who went to the All-Star Game the season before. True, a Braves game is a tough sell when it overlaps the much more compelling and talent-laden NBA and NFL, but I would never accuse baseball, or the Braves, of purposely freezing out African Americans. Like someone said earlier, the Black Athlete simply finds no glamour in baseball anymore because the other two sports have lapped it in terms of popularity and prestige of the stars. Isn't Matt Kemp a perennial MVP candidate? No sports-aware woman would know who he is if he had on a I Am Matt Kemp t-shirt. Now compare that to 20 years ago when women went crazy over guys like David Justice without knowing how many outs you had to get. You could write a book about the many ways baseball sabotaged it's own popularity with fans and potential great Black players. Without getting too general in terms if race, steroids just isn't in the Black Athletes thought. After the firestorm, the sport just felt lame and meant for players who weren't naturally world-class athletes. Besides, look at the basic make-up of a baseball game and the oppurtunities for success. Hitting .300 is considered great. Really? Many nights you do absolutely nothing with no recognition. A dunk or a touchdown catch on Sportcenter is infinitely better than an RBI single on Baseball Tonight.

You have severely contradicted yourself in this post.

Baseball began signing the teenage Carribean player for a quarter of the high school senior in America. That kid in the Dominican Republic was/is signed at 15 for $10,000 while the high school senior at Southwest Dekalb with a football scholarship in tow would need $100,000 to bypass college football. See the SWD kid can't get a scholorship to play baseball at Georgia State because half-azz Skippy from Riverwood needs that slot.

Do the research board.

You have severely contradicted yourself in this post.

Baseball began signing the teenage Carribean player for a quarter of the high school senior in America. That kid in the Dominican Republic was/is signed at 15 for $10,000 while the high school senior at Southwest Dekalb with a football scholarship in tow would need $100,000 to bypass college football. See the SWD kid can't get a scholorship to play baseball at Georgia State because half-azz Skippy from Riverwood needs that slot.

Do the research board.

Took the words right out of my mouth. Here's an ESPN article put out last April about the steady decline of African-Americans in MLB.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=6401971

Now, if that's not enough evidence for you I really don't know. As of 2011, African-Americans made up only 8.5% of players in the MLB. That's interesting...

Point taken. Didn't take the economics into account. It's pretty much a no-brainer from a financial standpoint for the owners and GMs I guess. I'm sure Ozzie Guillen has addressed the differences in pay for Latin Draftees because its huge. But I still stand by my point that the majority of Backs could care less about baseball. Hell, just ask them/ us/ me. I cried over a regular season loss to the Celtics the year after we took them to seven games (pu&@y, I know). Afted the Braves got swept by the Cardinals with a few more series to go, I knew they were done, and I couldn't have cared less. Why? I can't pinpoint. I just know I didn't care.