• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks - 76ers

lethalweapon3

• Moderators

“It won’t last.” That was the whisper back when the 76ers burst out of the gate on a 15-6 swing to start the season, while division mates Boston and New York struggled to get their bearings. Going 13-17 since against a tougher schedule made the whispers get louder. And the 21-point loss at Washington last night, their sixth loss in their last nine, has amplified the doubters’ refrain to an audible pitch.The Sixers are still clinging to the top spot among teams with the lowest opponents’ field goal percentage (42%). But the Wizards (48% last night) and recent conquerors have been able to assert themselves in the paint for easier buckets (Nene and Kevin Seraphin each went 7-for-11 yesterday). Philly found themselves outmuscled 52-to-38 in the rebounding area. They’re working Spencer Hawes back into the rotation after missing over half the season while recovering from a strained Achilles. They can still rely on Andre Iguodala, Thaddeus Young, and Evan Turner to throttle opposing wings defensively. But guards are finding ways to shoot and score over the top of the defense (Cartier Martin and Roger Mason going 6-for-11 last night from 3-point range Friday).To turn things around, Philadelphia has to find ways to draw fouls and get to the line more. Their free throw rate of 21.5 FTAs (per 100 FGAs) is the lowest by far in the league, and can’t be explained solely by their pace (Orlando has the same pace but a 30.6 free throw rate). In their last 14 losses, they had a lower free throw rate on 13 of those occasions. They’ve had a higher free throw rate just 3 times in their 23 losses this season. They were getting 19.8 shots per game through January (71%), and just 16.2 shots per game since (74%). Forward Elton Brand gets less than two shots (1.7) a night, and their most reliable shooters are the guards Lou Williams (off the bench, leading the team with 4.8 FTAs per game and 80.3 FT%) and Jrue Holiday. Williams still leads the Sixers in scoring but has been held under his 15.5 PPG average in his last three games, going to the line no more than twice. Making the Sixers take tough shots without fouling, and winning the rebounding war, should suppress their offense sufficiently to make a game of it.Ex-Sixer Willie Green turned it on late for the Hawks last night, just as he did at the Wells Fargo Center during the Hawks’ drubbing in January. Hopefully he will be able to continue finding his shots tonight.Go Hawks!~lw3

Well. Now we know. The 76ers still own the Atlanta Hawks.

We haven't won against them since who knows how long.

Hawks played well. 76ers simply played and shot better.

Aaaah ---Now, at last, Hawks get a few days off.

Posted Image

It's games like tonight that frustrate me as a Hawks fan, but it is also an instance where we get a glimpse of what we have when Josh is playing the way he capable of playing. 34 points on 18 shots, 10 rebounds, 5 assists, 12 of 18 shooting, something like 9 of 10 from the free throw line.

• Premium Member

Not a bad game but one I felt we should have won. It is close games like tonight against good teams that really makes me wonder just how much having Horford would have helped. Yes, Josh was All World tonight and Joe was ok on 15 points on 13 shots but we need more from JJ. He can't reasonably be expected to score in the mid twenties or more but we needed those extra free throws he should be getting by posting up and getting fouls.

It was sad to watch this team get destroyed by a washed up Elton Brand.

It's games like tonight that frustrate me as a Hawks fan, but it is also an instance where we get a glimpse of what we have when Josh is playing the way he capable of playing. 34 points on 18 shots, 10 rebounds, 5 assists, 12 of 18 shooting, something like 9 of 10 from the free throw line.

The Hawks bigs got destroyed by a 33 year old past his prime Elton Brand. That's what I'm focusing on.

It was sad to watch this team get destroyed by a washed up Elton Brand.The Hawks bigs got destroyed by a 33 year old past his prime Elton Brand. That's what I'm focusing on.

I believe Al would've helped prevent that

Man I really do miss Horford. I wish he were back Posted Image

Good new is that he is on track...

http://blogs.ajc.com/hawks/2012/03/02/horford-begins-rehabilitation-process/

I read in a another article that he would be beck for the playoffs but just not 100%. I would post the link but I couldn't find it, but if true I'll take a Al thats 80%.

Question: Big, old center destroyed the Hawks.

Where was Dampier?

I know. He's old. He's slow. So what. He wouldn't be facing a young stud.

He would be facing another old man. He had 6 fouls to give. Josh had one.

What is Dampier doing on our roster? Does he growl and bark when the Hawks

are warming up before each game? We see he's in the dog house. Wonder why??

Use him or lose the game. We know what the choice was.

(Note: I may be all wrong about this. Everything may be peaches and cream. If so,

why does Dampier never see the floor? Not even for a token appearance.)

Posted Image

Where was Dampier?

(Note: I may be all wrong about this. Everything may be peaches and cream. If so,

Posted Image

This is one of those things that I will never understand when it comes to Larry Drew's decisions on who he plays. Erick may not bring much to the table at this point, but he is still a relatively solid rebounder. He's tied for 2nd on the team with a 15.8% rebounding percentage. What that means is that when he is on the floor, he gets around 16% of the rebounds. This is more than twice what Jason Collins does on the boards. He also blocks 4.2% of shots attempted when he is on the floor. This is first on the team. No, he can't guard anyone when he is pulled away from the basket, but he's still a solid interior guy who is a much better player than Jason Collins, who Larry has a special place in his heart for and special packages.

Erick is going back to Mississippi State after this season is over though. He's going back to finish his degree, and he wants to be a graduate assistant coach on the basketball team. He is also pushing STRONGLY for Kentucky assistant coach Kenny Payne, a Mississippi native, to get the head coaching job at Mississippi State.

Good new is that he is on track...

http://blogs.ajc.com...tation-process/

I read in a another article that he would be beck for the playoffs but just not 100%. I would post the link but I couldn't find it, but if true I'll take a Al thats 80%.

Steve Holeman said it's a possiblity but not to get your hopes up... Conflicting opinions. I'll go with Holeman

Where was Dampier?

Posted Image

Agreed, what was the point of signing him past a 10-day if he doesn't get any minutes. Another poor roster mistake.

Not a bad game but one I felt we should have won. It is close games like tonight against good teams that really makes me wonder just how much having Horford would have helped. Yes, Josh was All World tonight and Joe was ok on 15 points on 13 shots but we need more from JJ. He can't reasonably be expected to score in the mid twenties or more but we needed those extra free throws he should be getting by posting up and getting fouls.

you right you got to have more than that from your superstar.this should be josh numbers with more rebounds and blocks. not the other way around. if im not mistaken joe onlt has 2 30 pt. game this season geez.

Yep. Joe is arguably our best post-up player. He has to get more shots up and score more consistently. Josh played as well a you can ask. We are 20-1 when Joe scores 20+. We are 20-5 when Josh scores 20+. When we get them both going we are hell to beat. There needs to be a more conscious effort to do that. I understand Joe not wanting to force a ton of shots against set defense our double-teams. With that said, I would still rather se him go 7-20 in a loss than 7-13. At least find a way to get the shots up. Whether out be plays, true isos, post-ups etc.
  • Like 1

The play that broke our back was Joe passing up a mismatch behind the 3pt line in favor of Teague who ends up getting his shot blocked at the end of the clock. Then the Sixers got an easy two in transition. Not sure what Joe was thinking the way he's been shooting out of his mind lately. Frustrating game overall.

The play that broke our back was Joe passing up a mismatch behind the 3pt line in favor of Teague who ends up getting his shot blocked at the end of the clock. Then the Sixers got an easy two in transition. Not sure what Joe was thinking the way he's been shooting out of his mind lately. Frustrating game overall.

From memory it looked like he stumbled or fumbled some and didn't want a travel call so he gave up the ball. Unfortunate because everyone and their mom knew he would have killed Hawes on that mismatch. Perhaps even JJ got too excited at that prospect.