• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Josh > Melo

Diesel

• Premium Member

I was listening to Cowherd today. He had this rant on Melo. While I thought his rant would be about how stupid Amare is, his rant was how NY will fail because of Melo. He ranted on how Melo doesn't do anything to make others better. Ultimately, his statement was that if NY wanted to win anything, they have to get rid of Melo. I know that there's a lot of disdain for Smoove, but the bottom line is that Smoove makes others better. He can't score like Melo and he makes some boneheaded decisions, but at the end of the day, Smoove brings more.What do you think?

• Like 1

I was listening to Cowherd during that rant. I really can't say he's off base at all. Sadly, Melo is probably sealing his fate right now as a guy who will never be well respected despite his offensive ability. On a brighter note, it proves you need guys who are team players to win which is a good thing for the nba. And Smoove is definitely a more valuable player right now than Melo just because of his ability to drive and pass out. Smoove saved our butts that first game with Joe stinking it up on the offensive end. His drives and passes out for jumpers were absolutely a sign of his maturity. Now if he can keep doing that throughout the series, maybe we don't need Joe to score 30.

Smoove is a top 15 player this season. He will never get his praise due to his offensive IQ but his defense is top 3 in the NBA.

I wish we had Melo to be honest. We got the pieces to be better with Melo than Smith.

Smoove is a top 15 player this season. He will never get his praise due to his offensive IQ but his defense is top 3 in the NBA.

Offensive IQ isn't just about the shots a player takes. Finding the open man when you have the ball. Recognizing mismatches, etc.One of the things Josh brings to the table that goes unnoticed on this board is his recognition of when another player is in trouble. One of the reasons Josh gets the ball so often on the bailout is that he rotates to the ball when Joe is in trouble. Another is how often Josh comes back when the press is on to get the in bounds pass when the guards are being watched. Offensive IQ is many more things than deciding to shoot jumpers.An interesting thing about "those jumpers". when they fall and they have been with more frequency since the 2nd half of the season, it stretches the defense is many ways. This opens up offensive rebound opportunities as Josh's man is the opposing PF who is out of position to box out. Now, I would prefer he get his opportunities on cuts, posts etc but if you read Doc's comments after game 1, he was commenting on how he was upset Josh's jumpers weren't contested in the first half. That, would make my day. Contest the hell out of Doc. pull Garnett or Bass away from the basket.
  • Like 1

Offensive IQ isn't just about the shots a player takes. Finding the open man when you have the ball. Recognizing mismatches, etc.One of the things Josh brings to the table that goes unnoticed on this board is his recognition of when another player is in trouble. One of the reasons Josh gets the ball so often on the bailout is that he rotates to the ball when Joe is in trouble. Another is how often Josh comes back when the press is on to get the in bounds pass when the guards are being watched. Offensive IQ is many more things than deciding to shoot jumpers.An interesting thing about "those jumpers". when they fall and they have been with more frequency since the 2nd half of the season, it stretches the defense is many ways. This opens up offensive rebound opportunities as Josh's man is the opposing PF who is out of position to box out. Now, I would prefer he get his opportunities on cuts, posts etc but if you read Doc's comments after game 1, he was commenting on how he was upset Josh's jumpers weren't contested in the first half. That, would make my day. Contest the hell out of Doc. pull Garnett or Bass away from the basket.

Josh's jumpers are never contested, the game plan is always to let him shoot it. If Doc changes that strategy, Josh would have a field day putting the ball on the floor and driving to the rim. KG and Bass will not be able to stop him

First of all Melo doesnt have anyone else that can score the ball. So if he doesnt score, who will? The whole Knicks team is built wrong IMO.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Melo = Smoove in that they BOTH get over scrutinized and criticized unfairly. I'm not saying they are infallible, but Carmelo was getting lambasted by the media while he was out with an injury and Lin was all the rage. People were already speculating that he had a problem with Lin and they hadn't even played together yet. Smoove gets dogged if he hits three jumpers in a row and then misses one. Carmelo is an ELITE scorer and Smoove deserves to be on an All NBA team after this season.

Josh with Melo's freedom and reputation would be a superstar. He doesn't get the calls nor the opportunities that Melo gets. The closest we've seen to this is when JJ was out. But, even then the guys look at him as the "fill in" man. Not "THE" man like Melo's guys view him. Our team doesn't hustle to the block for rebounds when Josh gets the ball.

• Moderators

First of all Melo doesnt have anyone else that can score the ball. So if he doesnt score, who will? The whole Knicks team is built wrong IMO.

Denver seems to score the ball just fine without him.Josh this season has 3 guys who are averaging 8 ppg or more: JJ, Marvin and Teague.In addition to Melo, NY also has: Amare Stoudamire, JR Smith, Tyson Chandler, Jeremy Lin, Iman Shumpert, Steve Novak and Landry Fields.The closet isn't barren for NY.

To score the ball....one must get the ball. It's all Melo all the time.

Supporter...Joe is not better than Carmelo. Josh is, but Joe is not.

Melo is a 1 on 1 player, he will never win a championship with the way he plays. Joe is a better three point shooter and can score points in the flow of the offense. He does not dominate the ball as much as melo. Joe might not be as talented a scorer but he is a better playmaker, defender, and three point shooter. Give me Joe on my team over melo