• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Your Ideal Offseason?

PSSSHHHRRR87

• Moderators

Now that we have all had a chance to cool down from the painful loss last night and the 2012 offseason has begun for the Hawks, what would be the ideal offseason to you? What would you like to see done in the draft, FA, trades, resignings, coaching, etc...

Edited by AHF

1. Deron2. Nash3. 32Draft a center in the 1st. Fab Melo, Myers, or Drummond.Draft someone useful in the 2nd round. Stop wasting those picks.

I don't have my eye on any single player, and I don't follow college enough to know of any impact player except Sullinger and the Kentucky boys, none of which will be available to us and if they were, we'd probably take a bust over them anyway. I don't care about Dwight, but I would love to have Harden here in a utopian universe. Even casual NBA fans who don't care about the Hawks know our biggest issues, and they both are the addition by subtraction of Joe's contract and the ownership that offered it. On a lower scale, bringing in some value for Marvin and Kirk would be excellent. Were realistically looking at a 6 seed or lower next season as currently constructed because the Sixers and Pacers have leapfrogged us, and New York, Boston, Miami, and Orlando all will have franchise players in place far superior to ours no matter how their rosters shake up enabling them to attract more free agent talent than us. Were in a pretty bad spot right now, so destroying and rebuilding, on what scale I don't know, seems like a viable option. Of course this ownership falls over itself for mere playoff appearances, so maybe a 6 seed is what they're shooting for and will be satisfied with. We all want significant upgrades, but we all know there will be none so what's the point.

Edited by benhillboy

#1. Move Josh Smith on draft night... - We will wrangle over this all off-season but if we could get 1-2 "better than serviceable" players (say Kyle Lowry/Luis Scola, or Gasol/Sessions or Thad Young), or a lottery pick to get one of the 3 UK studs (Davis, Kidd-Gilchrist, T-Jones) that would be ideal. Another phone call I would make would be to Indiana to see if Paul George could be pried away for Smith; they've (Indy) got too many good options to pay them all and too many contracts coming due for renewal. #2. Find someone to take Marvin Williams... I don't care if it costs us in supposed "talent level"... Marvin is a bust and his stain needs to be removed from this franchise. That chapter needs to be closed.#3. Hire a GM with at least (1) CONFERENCE championship on their resume...#4. Have the ASG find a buyer with sufficient capital to finally remove them from this city.- from David McDavid to Steve Belkin to Alex Meruello the ownership, or non-ownership or whatever, has made us a laughing stock of the league. Totally unacceptable and efffffff David Stern for allowing the debacle to continue.#5. Remove any and all remnants of this current coaching staff; all of them. - Remember how the ASG tried to sell us that they would conduct an extensive coaching search, post-Woodson, leaving no stone unturned in the hopes of bringing a "new voice" and "solidarity" to the team following the Orlando blowout debacle... Well, they didn't have to look too hard in bringing in... the assistant Head Coach. I could keep going but I'll stop at 5.

• Moderators

I won't get specific on players yet, but if we're still carrying a 15-person roster come Halloween, I want to be able to look down the bench at Pargo, Willie, Marvin, Ivan, and Zaza, and exclaim, "Now, THERE'S a great third-unit!"~lw3

If Josh doesn't want to be here, trade him to get into the top 5 and take a chance on a guy like Andre Drummond. There's not much we can do with Joe, but we should move him to SF permanently. If Rick Carlisle doesn't resign with Dallas. My dream would be to package Josh Smith and Joe Johnson to Brooklyn for a sign and trade of Deron Williams and their draft pick.

#1 - Get the team sold to a good buyer.#2 - Get the team sold to a good buyer.#3 - Get the team sold to a good buyer.

Forgot to add that to my wish list.

1- Move Smoove at all cost. The closer it gets to the deadline next season the more Smoove will appear as a half season rental for any potential buyer. This draft is deep enough that a decent player and pick will add to our team. Smoove does not want to be here and I am tired of his sulking while dropping 20ft bombs on half his shots.

2-Draft a center and why the hell not two if we have two 1st round picks?

3-If something like the above occurs, I will be excited once again to watch a different looking core try and move up the food chain while keeping enough talent to stay in the hunt.

Edited by Buzzard

'We just learned upon reliable league sources that the Atlanta Hawks have been sold to (insert billionaire here) and that the sale was approved by league owners earlier this morning. A press conference is expected to be held later this evening. John Hollinger and Steven A. Smith joins us here; what can you tell us?'Hollinger: 'Well, first of all, this comes as a shock as many speculated that he would pursue an NFL team in Los Angeles but when the Vikings agreed to stay in Minnesota, he turned his attention to the NBA. I've also learned that he pursued the Hawks years ago and offered more than twice the price he ended up paying for them but was turned down by the ASG. Now faced with dwindling attendance and mounting losses despite selling off the NHL Thrashers, they were left with no choice but to sell. I know one thing; he will infuse a lot of enthusiasm and cash to a franchise that badly needs it. Steven?SAS: All I know is that this is the best news that Atlanta fans have heard since Arthur Blank bought the Falcons from the Smiths. What else can be said that hasn't been said about the now-former owners in the ASG? They sued each other in court, allowed the incompetent Billy Knight to waste one lottery pick after another when they were awful, which explains why Joe Johnson now has a bigger contract than Lebron James, and to top it off, lost an NHL team despite only spending the league minimum every year. I mean, how can an ownership group be dumb enough to not accept the deal that he offered, huh? No one in the NBA and certainly no one in the ATL will miss Michael Gearon running his mouth about Kevin Garnett before playoff games...'Hollinger: 'Or lying about not wanting to sell the Thrashers, only to do the opposite once court records proved otherwise. Anyway, I just talked to the new owner and he vows to forever close the book on the ASG era. The first thing he told me is that he wants to have best and brightest basketball minds running the team as well as improve the scouting department. The front office is an area where the Hawks have underperformed for decades an he intends on changing that immediately. How Rick Sund and Larry Drew plays into this remains to be seen. He also told me that the luxury tax will not prevent him from pursuing any player.ESPN Announcer: 'Well, we don't have to speculate on that. We just learned that neither Larry Drew or Rick Sund will be returning to the Hawks next season. We've also learned that Dwight Howard and Steve Nash have added Atlanta to their 'short list' of teams they would like to play for. More on this story as it develops...'A guy can still dream, right?

Edited by Dejay

I won't get specific on players yet, but if we're still carrying a 15-person roster come Halloween, I want to be able to look down the bench at Pargo, Willie, Marvin, Ivan, and Zaza, and exclaim, "Now, THERE'S a great third-unit!"~lw3

Lol at zaza 3rd unitZaza has proven he is a top 30 centerAnd Marvin is still a 2nd unit player...strong defense and sometimes contributes on offense like last night

• Admin

#1. Move Josh Smith on draft night...- We will wrangle over this all off-season but if we could get 1-2 "better than serviceable" players (say Kyle Lowry/Luis Scola, or Gasol/Sessions or Thad Young), or a lottery pick to get one of the 3 UK studs (Davis, Kidd-Gilchrist, T-Jones) that would be ideal. Another phone call I would make would be to Indiana to see if Paul George could be pried away for Smith; they've (Indy) got too many good options to pay them all and too many contracts coming due for renewal..

I like the Lowry/Scola idea

• Moderators

Lol at zaza 3rd unit

Zaza has proven he is a top 30 center

And Marvin is still a 2nd unit player...strong defense and sometimes contributes on offense like last night

Shhhhhh... we both know this... but don't let opponents know that!

Get enough talent in between them, such that their collective "2nd-unit" talent is the worst thing the Hawks have to offer on the floor every night.

Besides, this is not "Your Realistic Offseason." I can be idealistic and greedy in May.

~lw3

I like the Lowry/Scola idea

I don't. Scolas best years are behind him. Id rather gamble in the draft then take on another declining talent, especially one that would keep Al at the 5.

• Moderators

I don't. Scolas best years are behind him. Id rather gamble in the draft then take on another declining talent, especially one that would keep Al at the 5.

If you can find someone who will give up a top draft pick for him. That isn't clear. This draft is much better than last year's and nobody would do it last year.Trading Smith would be hardest for me because it would be the supreme indictment of the organization. If they can't get a guy who got a Hawks tatoo and grew up in Atlanta to want to stay, who will they get to believe in this team more than just the $$. That is why a sale of the team is priority #1.