• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Moving players for draft picks

NineOhTheRino

• Premium Member

I understand the issues involved with moving players for other players, but I'm wondering if it's possible to move some of these contracts for draft picks alone.hypotheticallyLets say MJ gets the number 1,2,3... pick. Could the Hawks trade Joe, Marvin, Josh, or a combination of those three for the pick?

Edited by NineOhTheRino

Why couldn't we just trade our former #2 pick for the current #2 pick? Don't you think just Marvin is enough?All kidding aside, I would think that yes, trading Joe/Marvin or Josh/Marvin would get us the #2 pick. I don't think I'd give up Joe and Josh for a pick that could turn out to be Kwame Brown, Marvin Williams, or Hasheem Thabeet. Is even giving up 2 already established players worth the risk? I mean two starters on a playoff team is a lot to give up for potential. I wouldn't do it.

Edited by Mutombolievable

• Premium Member

I understand the issues involved with moving players for other players, but I'm wondering if it's possible to move some of these contracts for draft picks alone.hypotheticallyLets say MJ gets the number 1,2,3... pick. Could the Hawks trade Joe, Marvin, Josh, or a combination of those three for the pick?

I think Charlotte wants Drummond as bad as we would.Davis too.

Good question, I don't know. Maybe though. Josh makes twice to three times more than any draft pick. Marvin is close to some but still over one or two million at least. JJ is no where near it.Maybe team A drafts a player and we can do a SNT? Edited by Buzzard

Nothing we have is going to get us the #1 pick. Anthony Davis is too valuable. The #2 or #3 pick is a possibility if Charlotte had the cap space to accept such a deal but I don't think that is possible.I think our best bet is a trade with Portland for the #6 pick. First of all, they have a lot of expiring contracts so they could probably absorb both Joe's and Marvin's contracts (I haven't checked this but their trade situation seems a lot more feasible than the Bobcats'). Second, Portland has been a rumored landing spot for Marvin. With the #6 pick, we could replace Joe with a younger, cheaper swingman with star potential - Jeremy Lamb (that would be my pick) or Bradley Beal. If we manage to hang on to the #24 pick, we need to grab a center. Fab Melo or Festus Ezeli are the most likely available picks here. Although it would be a small reach, I would pick Ezeli over Melo because Melo seems to have a lot of bust potential.This would be your '12-'13 lineup if it was up to me.PG: TeagueSG: LambSF: SmithPF: HorfordC: EzeliAnother possibility is to send Josh Smith along with Marvin instead of JJ and maybe pick up the #11 pick from the Blazers as well. That way JJ could play SF instead of Josh and we could add more young talent. Maybe we could add a true PG (Kendall Marshall) and have Teague be our 6th man, or add a replacement for Josh's raw talent (John Henson).

Edited by atlbraves93

Davis- Not possibleAnyone else in the top 3 -Smoove. Horford, not possible to get.Top 10- Smoove plus I want a top tier prospect from that team. Like Washington Seraphin and their pick, etc.1st rounder - Marvin. Smoove not possible to get.Keeping Joe, Zaza, and Jeff. Keeping Al unless it's for Davis.

It can be done but it's not super likely. More likely would be something like the Hawks themselves did years ago, taking on a young veteran with potential and giving up a high lottery pick and cap fillers. Shareef Abdur-Rahim ($11,250,000) was the "overpaid" centerpiece coming to the Hawks along with Jamaal Tinsley ($749,160) and we sent out the highly touted rookie Pau Gasol ($2,970,840) plus Brevin Knight ($4,500,000) and Lorenzen Wright ($4,400,000). So if we wanted to move Smith for a high lottery pick we'd likely have to take back multiple "bad" contracts to get that lottery pick.

It can be done but it's not super likely. More likely would be something like the Hawks themselves did years ago, taking on a young veteran with potential and giving up a high lottery pick and cap fillers. Shareef Abdur-Rahim ($11,250,000) was the "overpaid" centerpiece coming to the Hawks along with Jamaal Tinsley ($749,160) and we sent out the highly touted rookie Pau Gasol ($2,970,840) plus Brevin Knight ($4,500,000) and Lorenzen Wright ($4,400,000). So if we wanted to move Smith for a high lottery pick we'd likely have to take back multiple "bad" contracts to get that lottery pick.

Gerald Wallace trade. Atlanta isn't taking on any contracts for Smoove and SAR is ass. Stupid ass Hawks. He is the poor man's Jermaine O'Neal. Edited by nbasuperstar40

Gerald Wallace trade. Atlanta isn't taking on any contracts for Smoove and SAR is ass. Stupid ass Hawks. He is the poor man's Jermaine O'Neal.

Last Hawks player since who, Nique, to score 50 points in a game? Only Hawk player in how long to average 21/9 in a season? Also a model citizen and great role model for the kids. Yeah he was definitely ass!I swear sometimes I think you just say things to try and piss people off.
  • Like 3

Last Hawks player since who, Nique, to score 50 points in a game? Only Hawk player in how long to average 21/9 in a season? Also a model citizen and great role model for the kids. Yeah he was definitely ass!I swear sometimes I think you just say things to try and piss people off.

I hated his game with a passion. In those days, you had Jamison dropping 50 back to back and Tony Delk. SAR was ass. Straight ass. I hate that dude, his shot was always blocked, his stupid go to move which was terrible, his Al Harrington like impact. Then we traded him for Gasol...

I hated his game with a passion. In those days, you had Jamison dropping 50 back to back and Tony Delk. SAR was ass. Straight ass. I hate that dude, his shot was always blocked, his stupid go to move which was terrible, his Al Harrington like impact. Then we traded him for Gasol...

You are the same guy who loves the Mayo right. Point, The Mayo is avg .274 fg% and .292 3pt fg%, in 7 playoff games this season. Since you like Smoove it should come as no surprise that you want to build our franchise around Mayo's choking butt.SAR was a decent player and person but not a HOF like Gasol. Mayo has not evened proved to be a decent player yet.

I wish we could get a franchise player. Id rather much draft him. I want a player like Nique or Chipper. I want them here from start to finish.

A team who is under the cap enough to absorb Smith;s contract could trade a draft pick alone for him. Most teams would have to dish some salary back to us.Sund shopped Smoove last year for Utah's pick to get Kanter.I think picks 5-7 could be in play this year. MKG and Drummond will probably be gone by then but guys like: Barnes, Marshall, Beal, J. Lamb, and Rivers should be available.Then hope that Melo or Ezeli fall to 23.

Edited by coachx

I just feel like a true pass first PG could eliminate the need for a #1 scoring option.

I fully agree. I just don't see a PG in this draft on the level of a Paul or D. Williams like there were in the Marvin draft.Perhaps Marshall can have a complete body makeover from college to the NBA, like Deron Williams did, and gain explosivness that he currently lacks. He will be good but he will never be able to take guys off the dribble like Paul, Williams, Rondo, or Nash. He is more of a plodder.I think Beal and J. Lamb have the potential to be #1 scoring options at SG. The only question with J. Lamb is how hard he is willing to work. Beal's attitude and work ethic are not in question. Edited by coachx

• Moderators

Gerald Wallace trade. Atlanta isn't taking on any contracts for Smoove and SAR is ass. Stupid ass Hawks. He is the poor man's Jermaine O'Neal.

Would love it if we could get GW. Trade Marvin and our 1st for him and their 2nd. He might stay awhile too, he seemed to like it in Charlotte and might want to get back to the southeast. Edited by PSSSHHHRRR87