• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Magic Comments goes farther than Just Josh.

Diesel

Trading for Gasol would be trying to erase an old old mistake. We drafted this guy then immediately traded him for HomeTown Hero Raschad? Can't remember his name, played at my old highschool, Wheeler and at California for a year. Good player but couldn't carry the sorry Hawks at the time on his shoulder.Now a decade or more later we want to give away a ton to get Gasol back? That's a BS trade. I wouldn't trade Josh for less than a #1 this year and #2 next year.

That's probably being extreme.People want to say that Gasol played bad under Mike.... Did these guys happen to check Gasol's production from the playoffs last year?http://espn.go.com/nba/player/stats/_/id/996/seasontype/3/pau-gasolYeah.... Two years in a row he has played extremely poor in the playoffs. This year against two teams without really good big men. Nobody that SHOULD stop Gasol anyway.

OkC has some pretty decent defensive bigs man... Ibaka has ridiculous wingspan to block shots, Perkins is crazy physical, Durant is a 6' 10" SG... Hell even Collison and Aldrich are ginormous and "no bull" type players.I'm just saying... I've read everyones argument; pro and con, and in the end this is the league that's been created by the new CBA. If players want to create a mega-team when they get to their pre-expiring year by forcing trades with the threat of diminishing returns should those trade demands not be met..."Hey Coach... My uh, back, uh... hurts, or something... think I'm gonna sit this one out, maybe the next 3 too..."In the end if it nets us Gasol and maybe a Sessions/Devin Ebanks throw-in salary matcher and rids us of Marvin, I'm all for it...Straight up doesn't work I don't think.I think a front court of Horford and Gasol could be pretty cool... I don't love Pau's game, but he's got the potential to get a fresh start in the Eastern Conference and hopefully bring some of his championship level caliber experience to our growing team... Maybe I'm being overly optimistic, I'm just of the mindset that when a hometown guy says "I want out"... let him go, this is a business, get the absolute best package you possibly can and move forward.I'd rather have his brother though.

• Premium Member

Trading for Gasol would be trying to erase an old old mistake. We drafted this guy then immediately traded him for HomeTown Hero Raschad? Can't remember his name, played at my old highschool, Wheeler and at California for a year. Good player but couldn't carry the sorry Hawks at the time on his shoulder.

Now a decade or more later we want to give away a ton to get Gasol back? That's a BS trade. I wouldn't trade Josh for less than a #1 this year and #2 next year.

Maybe you're too disconnected from the conversation. However, what you call a ton is really..

A Discontented young man in the last year of his contract who has shown that he will disrupt the offensive plan in order to "Get His" and a BUST that we never should have drafted whoose game revolves around drifting out to the three point line and waiting on somebody to pass to him.

Sorry.. But that's not a ton. Moreover getting Gasol has nothing to do with making up for trading away the pick so many years ago. Everybody knows that we would have picked Battier with that pick. Babcock came here and said that. Getting Gasol is about fixing a mistake though. The mistake is having built a 6'9 team with no low post players.

Trade Smoove for James Harden. That will never happen...

Edited by nbasuperstar40

• Premium Member

Gasol is being horribly undervalued in this thread by some. He's the most gifted offensive big man in the NBA today. The Lakers don't win diddly poo without him. Mike Brown idiotically moved the best low scoring player in the NBA out of the low post and into the high post just to appease Bynum.My only problem with Gasol is his age. If this was 28 years old Gasol I'd trade Josh for him faster than I can finish this sentence. But he's not 28 any more. He's on the decline and frankly if we are going to trade Josh I'd rather go young in the lottery and start over.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Trading for Gasol would be trying to erase an old old mistake. We drafted this guy then immediately traded him for HomeTown Hero Raschad? Can't remember his name, played at my old highschool, Wheeler and at California for a year. Good player but couldn't carry the sorry Hawks at the time on his shoulder.Now a decade or more later we want to give away a ton to get Gasol back? That's a BS trade. I wouldn't trade Josh for less than a #1 this year and #2 next year.

You are thinking of Shareef Adbur Rahim and he was very good for us.

You are thinking of Shareef Adbur Rahim and he was very good trash for us.

Edited

• Premium Member

Edited

To somewhat quote you: if you think the only low post scoring threat Atlanta had since Kevin Willis that average around 20/10 on great shooting and played good defense was "trash" then you don't know anything about basketball. And since I played point guard at a Division II school I know what I'm talking about.
  • Like 1

To somewhat quote you: if you think the only low post scoring threat Atlanta had since Kevin Willis that average around 20/10 on great shooting and played good defense was "trash" then you don't know anything about basketball. And since I played point guard at a Division II school I know what I'm talking about.

Garbage post.

• Premium Member

Gasol is being horribly undervalued in this thread by some. He's the most gifted offensive big man in the NBA today. The Lakers don't win diddly poo without him. Mike Brown idiotically moved the best low scoring player in the NBA out of the low post and into the high post just to appease Bynum.My only problem with Gasol is his age. If this was 28 years old Gasol I'd trade Josh for him faster than I can finish this sentence. But he's not 28 any more. He's on the decline and frankly if we are going to trade Josh I'd rather go young in the lottery and start over.

The truth is... if he were 28, no way we'd be able to get him with Josh. No way we'd be able to get him with Josh and a 1st. No way we'd be able to get him period.Let's look at the apples for apples we are trading.We're trading Josh in his final year under contract and MarvinforGasol, Eyenga or Eubanks, and a 2013 first.We're getting a great deal considering that Gasol still pulled down more rebounds than Josh and points wise as a third option on his team, Gasol still scored almost as much as Josh who tried to make himself our first option.Yeah, Gasol is in decline. He's still very good.It gives us a championship run.

• Premium Member

You might be right Diesel but the only way I'd move Josh for Pau is if Sund couldn't do something else trade wise. I'd rather have two years left of Gasol than one more year of Josh and a messy divorce as he leaves as a free agent.

Garbage post.

No.......calling Reef garbage is the garbage......not Sorthon's "post."We are used to your garbage "post" though. We weed through it every day as we try to find substance on this board. Edited by coachx

• Moderators

I skipped to the end but y'all are falling for the oldest friggin trick in the book. Magic claims that Bynum and Gasol are 2 of the top three big men in that game WWWWWTTTTTTTFFFFF. So you have 2 of the top three big men plus Kobe Bryant and you can't get out of the second round? If Gasol is so great why does Magic want to trade him for Josh?Trading a guy who is in his prime and exploding for a guy who wasn't bringing it for the friggin Lakers is beyond dumb. I know I know Josh wants out. He only wants out because of shiite like this. Hardcore fans wanting to trade him for a draft pick or a guy on the downward end of his career. We need to add MORE talent and this team will be tough and this city will come out. Smoove will change his mind if we get it going this year. Adding Nash and a talented 2 guard would do wonders. We've waited a long friggin time to get where we are which is on the verge. That's when you add the missing the piece. The Rasheed if you will. That's not when you blow it up.

• Moderators

Gasol and Bynum don't match up well together. Gasol's biggest asset is his low post game and that was completely removed from the picture to develop and pacify Bynum. On a team that has zero low post game (cough...Atlanta....cough), Gasol would have a much bigger offensive impact than when matched up with a guy like Bynum (moderately better productivity than in LA and a huge impact on floor spacing).

• Like 3

No.......calling Reef garbage is the garbage......not Sorthon's "post."We are used to your garbage "post" though. We weed through it every day as we try to find substance on this board.

I agree. Hopefully it doesnt take more than two former Division II point guards opinions to make a point. At the same time, depending on the individual, two wrongs dont make a right. ( to each his own)

• Premium Member

I skipped to the end but y'all are falling for the oldest friggin trick in the book. Magic claims that Bynum and Gasol are 2 of the top three big men in that game WWWWWTTTTTTTFFFFF. So you have 2 of the top three big men plus Kobe Bryant and you can't get out of the second round? If Gasol is so great why does Magic want to trade him for Josh?Trading a guy who is in his prime and exploding for a guy who wasn't bringing it for the friggin Lakers is beyond dumb. I know I know Josh wants out. He only wants out because of shiite like this. Hardcore fans wanting to trade him for a draft pick or a guy on the downward end of his career. We need to add MORE talent and this team will be tough and this city will come out. Smoove will change his mind if we get it going this year. Adding Nash and a talented 2 guard would do wonders. We've waited a long friggin time to get where we are which is on the verge. That's when you add the missing the piece. The Rasheed if you will. That's not when you blow it up.

It's not really a blow up. Let's address your first question.Bynum and Gasol does the same thing. Play Low post. LAL has used Gasol in the high post this year to make room for Bynum in the low post. Magic wants Smoove #1 for his youth but #2 because Smoove is a much better compliment to Dwight than Gasol would be. Yes, I said Dwight. That's because I think that the real plan laid out by Magic is do what you can to get Dwight. That includes signing his best friend who also has Allstar potential.Magic is not playing a trick though. Gasol is 32 and has maybe 4 to 5 more good years left in him. Centers tend to age slower than most other positions. And Gasol is very skilled also. Offensively, I think he has better low post footwork than any big in the league.Still, we're taking a player who is good but starting to decline. We do this because we don't have 4 more years for Smoove or Marvin to get it. Joe is 31, Horf is ready. We can get Nash... If we get Pau, the train is in the station and we automatically become one of the best teams in the East and we put ourselves in the championship picture. We can't ignore that Smoove don't get it. We can't ignore that Smoove is a rebel. But most of all, we can't ignore that smoove has asked to be traded twice and he is in the last yr of his contract. Please don't miss that.
  • Like 1

• Moderators

It's not really a blow up. Let's address your first question.Bynum and Gasol does the same thing. Play Low post. LAL has used Gasol in the high post this year to make room for Bynum in the low post. Magic wants Smoove #1 for his youth but #2 because Smoove is a much better compliment to Dwight than Gasol would be. Yes, I said Dwight. That's because I think that the real plan laid out by Magic is do what you can to get Dwight. That includes signing his best friend who also has Allstar potential.Magic is not playing a trick though. Gasol is 32 and has maybe 4 to 5 more good years left in him. Centers tend to age slower than most other positions. And Gasol is very skilled also. Offensively, I think he has better low post footwork than any big in the league.Still, we're taking a player who is good but starting to decline. We do this because we don't have 4 more years for Smoove or Marvin to get it. Joe is 31, Horf is ready. We can get Nash... If we get Pau, the train is in the station and we automatically become one of the best teams in the East and we put ourselves in the championship picture. We can't ignore that Smoove don't get it. We can't ignore that Smoove is a rebel. But most of all, we can't ignore that smoove has asked to be traded twice and he is in the last yr of his contract. Please don't miss that.

I guess it comes down to whether you think Nash/Joe/Horf/Gasol is championship caliber. I don't. We'd be good but think about our competition in the east for the next two years. Basically we're looking at whether that group can stop Rose, Wade, and Lebron. I don't see it.

• Premium Member

I guess it comes down to whether you think Nash/Joe/Horf/Gasol is championship caliber. I don't. We'd be good but think about our competition in the east for the next two years. Basically we're looking at whether that group can stop Rose, Wade, and Lebron. I don't see it.

First off Rose is out for next year.2nd... Us vs. Lebron, Wade, and Bosh. I like our chances. I think you underestimate the value of Gasol and Nash. With Nash... Nash/Horf PNR all day. Who is going to stop it? Soft Chris Bosh?Gasol.. low post scoring all day... Who is going to stop it...it's been a long time since we had a legit 7 footer on this team. Moreover, where is Miami's bench help coming from?My prediction is this.. after Miami loses the ECF, they will be looking for a makeover.