• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Where do you like Joe Johnson best SF or SG?

JTB

Looking over this season and playoffs...johnson played a good deal of minutes at both positions. Was wondering where you would perfer to keep johnson or play johnson come next season?This actually has is pretty important for the hawks....looking at the draft and the decision with josh smith. I personally like him at the 2...where do you think he plays best between sg and sf?

• Admin

I think he excels at either...the advantage of SG is that he is bigger and stronger then other guards that he can take advantage of.However, he is so good at SF or SG ... we can bring in either a sg or sf and won't have to worry about covering the other position.

• Like 2

Remember, when JJ first came here, management expected him to betheir PG. They passed CP3 (He wasn't big enough. Everyone had to bethe same size) and drafted MW because he was "the rigfht size."JJ didn't really work out as a PG and Hawks are still trying to recover fromwanting a starting five all the same size.If Atlanta drafts a 2, JJ plays the 3. If they draft a 3, JJ plays the 2. He couldplay a minute or two at the 1 or 4, but not for many minutes.Or, we may trade JJ, Smoove and MW for a new basketball. Who knows.

SG. He can use his size and strength more. He's not quicker than most SF's.

• Moderators

Remember, when JJ first came here, management expected him to betheir PG. They passed CP3 (He wasn't big enough. Everyone had to bethe same size) and drafted MW because he was "the rigfht size."JJ didn't really work out as a PG and Hawks are still trying to recover fromwanting a starting five all the same size.If Atlanta drafts a 2, JJ plays the 3. If they draft a 3, JJ plays the 2. He couldplay a minute or two at the 1 or 4, but not for many minutes.Or, we may trade JJ, Smoove and MW for a new basketball. Who knows.

In fairness to BK, Marvin was taken because he was the guy who was considered to be the potential superstar in the draft. The draft was viewed by the supposed experts as being a choice at the top between Bogut (who had a lower ceiling but filled the elusive C position) and Marvin (who was the potential superstar) with a minority of people advocating Paul or Deron at PG. Neither Paul nor Deron were considered to be the highest potential players in the draft.My view was that we needed a star more than a particular position and that I would give my GM and scouts the authority and resources to make the right call and then fire them if they don't do a good job of evaluating talent.

I think he excels at either...the advantage of SG is that he is bigger and stronger then other guards that he can take advantage of.However, he is so good at SF or SG ... we can bring in either a sg or sf and won't have to worry about covering the other position.

This is my view. He can do a good job at either position so if we get an impact player at one or the other, then you position JJ to accommodate that person.

It depends on who you pair him with...............is the best wing a SG or SF behind JJ ?

This

It depends on who you pair him with...............is the best wing a SG or SF behind JJ ?This

This does matter too. I hate seeing him at SF and Hinrich at SG.

• Moderators

This does matter too. I hate seeing him at SF and Hinrich at SG.

I would like seeing him at SF with Eric Gordon at SG. We don't have a viable SG so it makes sense to keep him at SG today. If we draft Doron Lamb and he becomes the next Reggie Miller then you move JJ to SF.

I would like seeing him at SF with Eric Gordon at SG. We don't have a viable SG so it makes sense to keep him at SG today. If we draft Doron Lamb and he becomes the next Reggie Miller then you move JJ to SF.

I was in agreement till I seen Deron Lamb. EJ would be a nice fit next to Joe but that will never happen.

• Moderators

I was in agreement till I seen Deron Lamb. EJ would be a nice fit next to Joe but that will never happen.

I was just picking a guy who will be available when we draft and assuming he becomes a star on Reggie's level (which illustrates the point with a no brainer). JJ's versatility is a nice thing and it will be interesting to see where he falls off more quickly (at SG and SF) as he ages.

I was just picking a guy who will be available when we draft and assuming he becomes a star on Reggie's level (which illustrates the point with a no brainer). JJ's versatility is a nice thing and it will be interesting to see where he falls off more quickly (at SG and SF) as he ages.

Joe's game is kind of ageless, I don't see him falling off unless he's still playing crazy minutes like he is now.

• Premium Member

The little explosion Joe had off the dribble is completely gone. He should be a SF for that reason alone.

The little explosion Joe had off the dribble is completely gone.

It is sadly. Posted Image

We should take advantage of his size and play him mostly at the 2 spot. The SG position is pretty weak in the NBA and Johnson probably rates as a top 5 SG in the league right now, or right around there. His size gives him an advantage against other 2 guards and he is a solid perimeter defender. Playing him at the 3 would lose him those advantages that make him a solid player.

I am with you here. JJ can play either and it would depend on our talent and ability as to which he should play. We could also do matchups as well if we wanted JJ on the better offensive threat or give him a rest and put him on the weaker.

• Premium Member

I've said for two years now that Joe needs to be moved to SF. He is very much like Paul Pierce body wise. Pierce was a good SG that got too old and slow for the position and has been a good fit at SF since they moved him years ago. I think Joe would have the same success. What is painfully obvious is the Joe we saw a few years ago that had some burst and first step off the dribble is completely gone. He has no burst.

• Premium Member

I think this is a worthwhile question.

Here's how I see it.

Joe is getting older now. He's still stronger than most SGs and SFs. However, it may not be for him to chase SGs around. I would play Joe at Sf.

The other reason for this is because SGs are easy to find.

The only way this changes is if somehow, we can get Rudy Gay.

Well, I'm pretty sure the average SG is quicker than the average SF. So doesn't that also mean he's not quicker than most SGs to a greater extent?

He is bigger and stronger than most SG's.