• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

I Don't Want To Trade Joe

Colin

I know that his contract is a killer and it has (most likely) crippled the team's chances of making future moves, but that being said...I like Joe a lot and I think he is our best player, and I don't want to trade him for nothing. Farmar, Morrow, Petro and somebody else? We just drafted Morrow's clone, and Farmar and Petro are so bad I don't even want them on the court. I understand that Joe's contract is bad, so we shouldn't expect the best player in the league back, but you don't trade him just to dump salary. That is an insult to Joe.I am a huge Hawks fan, because I like the majority of our players. I haven't been a fan for as long as you have, since I hopped on the Hawks when Zaza came over, but I have been here through the bullshit-filled last 7 years, and I have grown attached to certain players.I don't know if I could survive rooting for a team this season where Smoove gets to take 28 shots a game, and he is our closer/last-second shooter. If we're going to trade Joe, he needs to net us a legitimate center or a 18 ppg scoring SG or SF.PS- Go Zaza

• Like 2

I want Joe to stay if what we are trading him for is trash.

You don't trade him just to dump salary. That is an insult to Joe.

Yes you do, and no, it's not an insult. I love what JJ has done here but his contract is holding this team back. Trading him to clear cap space is way more respectful to Joe than using the amnesty clause on him (and better for the Hawks as well). Edited by atlbraves93

I know that his contract is a killer and it has (most likely) crippled the team's chances of making future moves, but that being said...I like Joe a lot and I think he is our best player, and I don't want to trade him for nothing. Farmar, Morrow, Petro and somebody else? We just drafted Morrow's clone, and Farmar and Petro are so bad I don't even want them on the court. I understand that Joe's contract is bad, so we shouldn't expect the best player in the league back, but you don't trade him just to dump salary. That is an insult to Joe.I am a huge Hawks fan, because I like the majority of our players. I haven't been a fan for as long as you have, since I hopped on the Hawks when Zaza came over, but I have been here through the bullshit-filled last 7 years, and I have grown attached to certain players.I don't know if I could survive rooting for a team this season where Smoove gets to take 28 shots a game, and he is our closer/last-second shooter.If we're going to trade Joe, he needs to net us a legitimate center or a 18 ppg scoring SG or SF.PS- Go Zaza

You mean the guy that capped out the franchise in order to stay? Yeah, I'm really worried about offending him.
  • Like 1

Can somebody lay out for me how this trade gets us further in the playoffs than we have with Joe? And what sort of time frame would we be looking at for that type of success?

The goal is to win a championship. We are not going to do it with JJ or how this current roster is constructed. We have to make moves. By clearing JJ's contract we will have more flexibility of putting together a championship roster.I love JJ but we were not going to win with him and instead of waiting 4 years for his contract to come off the books let us start now in trying to reshape this roster. We may not go farther if we had JJ and may take a year or two before we get to that level. However it is better than waiting 4 years and being able to make no moves because we have no salary cap flexibility. This is what you are getting with this trade.
  • Like 1

Can somebody lay out for me how this trade gets us further in the playoffs than we have with Joe? And what sort of time frame would we be looking at for that type of success?

Barring injury, we won't be lottery-bound. Off the bat, a team with Teague, Josh, Marvin, Horf, and a bunch of spare parts will at least be in the playoffs, albeit at the 7 or 8 seed. Guys like MarShon Brooks and Jenkins will contribute more in the future than they will right away. Also, the cap space that we hopefully get in this deal will allow us to make a splash in free agency, which will improve our immediate playoff chances. Edited by atlbraves93

Barring injury, we won't be lottery-bound. Off the bat, a team with Teague, Josh, Marvin, Horf, and a bunch of spare parts will at least be in the playoffs, albeit at the 7 or 8 seed. Guys like MarShon Brooks and Jenkins will contribute more in the future than they will right away. Also, the cap space that we hopefully get in this deal will allow us to make a splash in free agency, which will improve our immediate playoff chances.

My problems with this are that no big name free agents EVER want to come here, except for Joe Johnson. So now we become a 7 or 8 seed with a first round exit and a mid first round pick. That isn't better to me.I think if we are going to rebuild, lets just go to the lottery and see how we do there.

My problems with this are that no big name free agents EVER want to come here, except for Joe Johnson. So now we become a 7 or 8 seed with a first round exit and a mid first round pick. That isn't better to me.I think if we are going to rebuild, lets just go to the lottery and see how we do there.

The "no free agents ever come here" thing is overstated, IMO. If we have the cash, free agents will come. If nothing else, we can make our bench a whole lot stronger.

• Premium Member

Well, he was wrong about the draft pick, but apparently his list of players is correct.http://espn.go.com/n...ade-sources-sayLooks like kind of a pu-pu platter, but hey...

Those are the only players NJ have under contract aside from Marshon.. of course his players are correct. That's all they can trade for Joe.

• Premium Member

Ag... I'm going to tell you the truth.. not the fantasy going on here.The truth is that we dump Joe and the only thing that is helped is the ASG's wallet. Smoove, Horf, and spare parts will not get us into the playoffs. All of our players are too easy to stop. None of them has ever seen a double team. So that's why we're insisting upon Marshon... he's young but he can create his own shot. However, eventually, we will give in and do the deal for spare parts because NJ wants to hold on to Marshon as trade bait elsewhere.So what will we have. A team filled with players who can't put wins together because they are easily defended. Josh leaves with the other spare parts at the end of the season. And we see how hard it is to bring in free agents. However, ASG gets to run the team on the cheap and probably find a new owner for the Hawks because he no longer has to worry about Joe's salary or the LT.This is the problem with some of the posters here. Their concentration is not on the floor, but it's in the finance office. The finance office doesn't effect what we can get. IF we wanted some more players, we could amnesty Marvin. Zaza comes off the books next year.. he will be good trade bait for some team.Here's the worst offense.With No Horf.. many injuries.. and a first year PG.. we finished 6 games behind Miami. What does that really mean? Does that mean we suck?? Does that mean that we can't compete for a title given the right tweaks??This move is a Babcock Knee Jerk... but it must be done so that another learning experience can take place.YOU GONNA LEARN TODAY.
  • Like 1