• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Alternative View on Having a Team Full of Expiring Contracts Next Season

MrMeltdown

I see that most here are in love with the idea because of the flexibility that it will give during the 2013 offseason but there are some alternative views that don't look as appealing.We can skip the obvious one of not being able to attract anyone worthy of spending on and ending up like several teams have recently including more attractive markets like Dallas and New York.The one that I think most people are overlooking is the on court dynamics that it could create. A team full of guys with expirings equals a team full of guys playing for contracts. That could very easily equal a selfish brand of basketball that is more focused on individuals making themselves look good rather than playing to win. That could be a very frustrating brand of ball to watch and get behind. It could also lead to no-one being able to lead. You can not lead someone that refuses to be led. Then what do you do when you foolishly think you have no leaders because the team you put together is just a bunch of individuals who refuse to be led to anything other than there next contracts? You may foolishly trade your leader.I understand that a lot of you guys are in dreamland and could care less about the product on the floor next year as long as someone says that you are a option for Howard and or Paul but that situation falling apart and no-one wanting to come here is not the only bad thing that can come from having all these expirings and cap room next year.

Edited by MrMeltdown

Why don't we wait and see how it plays out at the end of the next off season? That is when we will have all the cap room. Until then everything is speculation on your part as well as people that take the other side of your argument. No sense in complaining until you see the final product.

Why not at least wait until FA'gy is over, better yet why not wait until the start of the season to actually see what the actual roster will be.

Guest Walter

I see that most here are in love with the idea because of the flexibility that it will give during the 2013 offseason but there are some alternative views that don't look as appealing. We can skip the obvious one of not being able to attract anyone worthy of spending on and ending up like several teams have recently including more attractive markets like Dallas and New York. The one that I think most people are overlooking is the on court dynamics that it could create. A team full of guys with expirings equals a team full of guys playing for contracts. That could very easily equal a selfish brand of basketball that is more focused on individuals making themselves look good rather than playing to win. That could be a very frustrating brand of ball to watch and get behind. It could also lead to no-one being able to lead. You can not lead someone that refuses to be led. Then what do you do when you foolishly think you have no leaders because the team you put together is just a bunch of individuals who refuse to be led to anything other than there next contracts? You may foolishly trade your leader. I understand that a lot of you guys are in dreamland and could care less about the product on the floor next year as long as someone says that you are a option for Howard and or Paul but that situation falling apart and no-one wanting to come here is not the only bad thing that can come from having all these expirings and cap room next year.

I've thought of another reason to worry. This is 2012 and according to some Mayan Calenders the world could end with Jenkins not Joe Johnson taking the last shot for the Hawks. Bummer. W
  • Like 1

Nice responses going here boys but as I stated I would like to provide a alternative view to the thousands of threads that will pop up and give you a chance to express your fantasy wish list of Howard and Paul. Really does not matter who we get in FA's I am pretty sure they will be on expirings as well. I will take all this back if the outcome of FA is different but will you take back all of the threads that will be made about your fantasy of Paul and Howard?Please don't shoot the messenger because he does not come offering gifts of everything going the way you dreamed it would

Edited by MrMeltdown

I got it give to you, I thought Hots was the most negative poster on this site but you have him by a landslide. It seems like over the past few weeks everything that comes from your posting is absolutely negative. You must be a barrel of joy to be around. You must have everyone laughing around you with you being so upbeat. Seriously what a killjoy.Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, however I never have seen someone so negative. Its been awhile since Hawk fans have had some optimism. You may be right the Hawks may not get Howard or Paul or both, but geez let the fans feel good until all the bad stuff actually takes place. If it actually does. There is no basis for your negativity yet.So like I mentioned before no one knows how it is going to work out. What you are claiming is pure speculation even though you are adamant that it won't be happening. Like your some soothsayer. So if we don't get Howard and Paul should we bow down to you? Finally this organization is making the right moves - getting Ferry, getting rid of bad contracts, drawing interests in the media - and all you want to do is be doom and gloom.Here is some friendly advise look at the positives in life (glass half full not half empty) you'll live a lot longer. You don't have to because the way you post you would rather be miserable. However I will be the first to congratulate you if we don't get Howard, Paul, or any other significant players to fill out our roster by the end of next off season. In that case you will be right the Hawks will probably be horrible and we all can be miserable with you.

• Like 3

I understand that a lot of you guys are in dreamland and could care less about the product on the floor next year as long as someone says that you are a option for Howard and or Paul but that situation falling apart and no-one wanting to come here is not the only bad thing that can come from having all these expirings and cap room next year.

look, man, this team was going no where with the WLOC path. NO WHERE. ferry traded off, and got assets in return for, the two players whose names came up every time amnesty came up. that is getting something out of nothing. the situation would only get worse as joe aged and his contract grew. i think everyone in the world, including ferry, knows that there is only a very slim chance to get paul and/or howard next year, but you're never going to have a shot at two of the games top 10 players as they come up on free agency if you don't have the cap room to even place a phone call. so let's recap: 1.) team was only going to get worse as is. 2.) two top 10 talents hit free agency next off season, and they are at the two most important positions, the two positions we are hurting for the most. hmmm.....maybe work to create an opportunity to solve both problems at once? seems logical to me. SO, ok, yeah, there it is still unlikely that we will get both, or possibly even either one. but even if we don't get the ideal fantasy outcome, do you think that ferry's final goal, his dream, is this roster that we currently have? do you think this is it? man, just get off it. why don't you try to add a little something to the conversation for once. all you have done since joining this board is take a big old fat sh!t on any and every thing said or done. try providing something constructive for once. what would you do with our current roster? with the cap space next off season? what players outside of paul or howard would you go after that would get us to the finals? can you do that? or are you too nervous that your ideas would get slammed too hard? is slamming everyone else's ideas the only thing you feel you can do (including the gm who's only been on the job for two weeks -- and already done more than the last one in two years had done)? if you aren't providing anything but sh!t to the conversation, then you're just a troll, and i would encourage you to return to your bridge.
  • Like 1

Perhaps it could get a bunch of guys to play their tails off and over achieve. Maybe Jenkins and Scott will get some pt to show what they can do unlike what has happened to most of our draft picks in this era. Maybe Harris and Teague will be Lightening and well Lightening in the backcourt.

Being condescending is not the purpose the purpose is to provide a alternative view to dreamland. If someone finds that condescending just understand that is not the intent, but a bigger point is I don't think you add anything to the topic if you come here to attack me rather than disgust the potential issues that having all these expirings could bring. Just don't participate at all if you think the thread has no basis.

Edited by MrMeltdown

• Premium Member

Actual Mr. MD.. I don't disagree with your point at all. I see that many here are condescending towards what you have had to say and will be the main ones crying the sky is falling if it does happen that way. Will a team full of players in their last year of a contract play together enough to win anything of consequence? Most likely not. IN fact, Smoove has not been a team player yet. IN his contract year where he wants to prove that he's a max player, I don't believe that we will see Smoove be that guy who follows LD's wishes to the tee.The question is how many of the other players we have will come in with that same approach?Last year, we had a group on the floor called the vetmin group affectionately by squawkers. The thing is that these guys were all vets on a 1 yr deal who had already had the highlights of their careers. They knew what LD wanted before he asked. They also knew that the best way to get somewhere in this league was to be a team player. We had one member of that vetmin who was a rookie. That's right... IVAN (you have to put caps on his name here). Of all the Hawks, IVAN had the most to lose. He was a 10 day contract guy. The question is... How did IVAN fair? With that in mind, I think that your concern will be something that will reveal itself as we move on. I think it's not a concern to have about a whole group of folks, but more likely should be considered on a case by case basis.

"You may foolishly trade your leader."What does that mean? That JJ was our leader? That Josh S. is our leader?Or, is it Horford? That part of your post is as clear as mud to me. Please explain.

Like I have said before, it all depends on what you want out of the Hawks. If you like watching a team that is pretty good, but gets bounced in the 1st or 2nd round and has no chance at contending, then do what the Nets are doing. I'm not one of the people who thinks we will have Paul and Howard on our roster in a year, but I still think what Ferry did was smart. Being a middling playoff team is the worst possible position to be in in the NBA. I would much rather hit rock bottom and at least have a shot at landing an elite player in the draft because that is the only way this team is going to sniff the finals.

• Like 1

"You may foolishly trade your leader." What does that mean? That JJ was our leader? That Josh S. is our leader? Or, is it Horford? That part of your post is as clear as mud to me. Please explain.

Means that you may not be able to tell who your leader is because they will not be able to lead people who are not willing to be led. I think Horford is the leader but it will be hard to tell who is the leader when everyone is out for there own and unwilling to be led. Edited by MrMeltdown

Actual Mr. MD.. I don't disagree with your point at all. I see that many here are condescending towards what you have had to say and will be the main ones crying the sky is falling if it does happen that way. Will a team full of players in their last year of a contract play together enough to win anything of consequence? Most likely not. IN fact, Smoove has not been a team player yet. IN his contract year where he wants to prove that he's a max player, I don't believe that we will see Smoove be that guy who follows LD's wishes to the tee.

The question is how many of the other players we have will come in with that same approach?

Last year, we had a group on the floor called the vetmin group affectionately by squawkers. The thing is that these guys were all vets on a 1 yr deal who had already had the highlights of their careers. They knew what LD wanted before he asked. They also knew that the best way to get somewhere in this league was to be a team player. We had one member of that vetmin who was a rookie. That's right... IVAN (you have to put caps on his name here). Of all the Hawks, IVAN had the most to lose. He was a 10 day contract guy. The question is... How did IVAN fair?

With that in mind, I think that your concern will be something that will reveal itself as we move on. I think it's not a concern to have about a whole group of folks, but more likely should be considered on a case by case basis.

I agree to a extinct but things usually spread. I understand that it is better to wait and see. I also take the stance that it is better to wait and see than continue to dream about Dwight and Paul. I actually think this discussion is something that will play out a lot quicker than Dwight and Paul coming to the Hawks. Edited by MrMeltdown

first of all mr.meltdown we are replacing a good player not a superstar , we are replacing a guy that bearly got us 17 pts. a night & were going to pay him 2o mill a yr.b/t teague ,jenkins , morrow & harris you can be very optamistict that you can make up for tha & we got horford back.so why shouldnt we have hope.on top of that we will have monies to get a little bit better bench then we had.man for a while i thought i was the ultimate pessimist, but you look like the type of person that will tell a waiter take the waffle back b/c the squares are not perfectly formed & they want hold the syrup & butter the way you like it.

I don't think what he's saying is so bad and its actually a good discussion point that these guys may play selfishly knowing most of them won't be around next year. The problem, meltdown, is that you've been almost exclusively negative in your views since joining a week or so ago and you can't expect to come off that way and have people believe you're bringing up a valid point when even your valid point is negative.

• Like 2