• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

It's time

tbhawksfan

To trade Josh Smith. Ferry is getting praise for eliminating BK and Sund's errors. Time to deal with their succeses. Trade Smith not Horford. Both are positives but Horf understands the team aspect and has the intelligence and talent to be a part of a winner. Smith...not so much.We have a short window to get nice young pieces for Smith.

If Howard get dealt to another team such as the Lakers & sign an extension. I am thinking we will see Smoove traded soon after. Only reason I see Ferry holding onto Smoove is to use him to lure Howard here.

Actually, I think Ferry is showing that he understands how to evaluate a player's impact on winning, which is why he came in and put the kibosh on any Josh Smith trade talk. I think Danny Ferry was down right flabbergasted when he came on board and found out that Rick Sund had been talking to LA about a Josh Smith/Pau Gasol swap. Why should he trade a 26 year old player who already contributes as much to winning as Pau does for a player that is on the wrong side of 30?

You definitely keep Josh Smith...Although I do like Horford alot. If the Hawks can't get Dwight then we basically look for next summer to grab Tyreke Evans and Serge Ibaka...We could allow Evans to play the SG & SF spot thus giving the Hawks alot of range on the wings. Depending on well Teague does this season will determine if we go after Chris Paul...This lineup would definitely be capable of making the Eastern Conference Finals..PG-Teague / HarrisSG- Tyreke / Jenkins / MorrowSF- Josh Smith /TyrekePF- Al Horford / Ivan the TerribleC- Serge Ibaka / Zaza

To trade Josh Smith. Ferry is getting praise for eliminating BK and Sund's errors. Time to deal with their succeses. Trade Smith not Horford. Both are positives but Horf understands the team aspect and has the intelligence and talent to be a part of a winner. Smith...not so much. We have a short window to get nice young pieces for Smith.

Depends on what happens with D-12, it makes no sense to trade the guy who could possibly get us a superstar. Now, lets say Howard gets traded to LA...I say we trade Smoove then or at least explore the market for him......again. Edited by Robdawg
  • Like 1

If we can't get Howard. Why in the hell would Smoove want to return here? He was already on a Jetplane out of here once the season ended. He only change his tune at the prospects of adding Howard and Paul.It is pretty obvious Howard and Paul are package deal. If you can't get one then the other will not follow. Paul isn't going to leave $25Mil and playing in LA to come here if Howard isn't with the Hawks. No big name FA is coming here to play with Smoove. Smoove will be as effective getting big name FA here as JJ was.

• Premium Member

Josh Smith has been my favorite Hawk for a while. Moreso than anybody we've had here in the past 8 years, I would say his potential was the greatest to change our playoff ceiling. Much like we were stuck trying to find a big PG or a decent ball-handling SG for Jason Terry, we will find ourselves in this infinite trap of trying to get the most out of Josh.If we don't get Howard, we're looking at two choices for Smoove: overpay him or lose him for nothing. I'm not comfortable with either of those options. So, in keeping with the house cleaning...I say we get what we can for him while we can. Again, this is contingent upon what happens with D12.

• Premium Member

If Smoove WANTS to stay here, why trade him? The reason why many on the 'Squawk wanted to trade him has evaporated. The team seems serious about building for the future and he's young and talented enough to be a big part of that.

I would trade Smoove for Nene and a 1st rd pick to the Wizards, makes perfect sense for both teams, Atlanta gets the so much needed Center allowing Horford to play PF and Washington gets their needed PF that would make with Okafor a perfect frontcourtWashington John Wall/ Beal/Ariza/Smith/Okafor, really nice teamAtlanta Teague/Jenkins?/FA/Horford/Nene, better frontcourt than Horford and Smith with the same need to fill the gaps at the wing.

OK. So most want Smith to lure Howard at the cost of Horford and 2 or 3 more pieces. Then it's about even on whether to trade him if Howard signs elswhere.If Howard extends on another team. Should we:*Trade him for young talent to build with Horford*Re-sign him to a contract probably in the 5 @ $80M - $90M range. That's a lot more than we're paying Horf. Maybe a home team discount and he signs at Horford's numbers.*He walks for nothing.I'm looking at the first option until he signs a reasonable extention. If he doesn't, I want young talent and/or picks to buil with

• Premium Member

Horford has to show that he's worth building around before I can agree to trading Smoove who seems to want to be here now. I get that Horford is a good player and character guy, but if that's all that matters why not build aroung Shane Battier? I just want to see more out of Horford on the court before the Hawks build their team around him. Horf will have ample opportunity to show that he can be 'the guy' on an NBA team next season. Until that time, the Hawks need to keep as much talent on the roster as possible and that includes Smoove.

• Like 1

One of the primary reasons for trading JJ was to clear cap space so the Hawks can sign Smoove and build a team around him and Horford. Ferry would be nuts to trade him right now.

If Smith does not want to be here and will not resign. Then you have to trade him. That's what just happen Orlando. You don't let a guy walk away without getting something.

If Smith does not want to be here and will not resign. Then you have to trade him. That's what just happen Orlando. You don't let a guy walk away without getting something.

You have a good point but I just don't see Smoove walking. Ferry has some convincing to do but I think Smoove would like the idea of being the centerpiece. It certainly puts him in the limelight and increases his chances of being an All Star, something I think matters to him more than he'll admit publicly. Right now the Hawks can match pretty much any offer during free agency as well. Keeping him is worth the risk. If he leaves, then yea, time to rebuild from scratch.