• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

****Dwight Howard Discussion Thread****

BusBoyIsBack

• Moderators

I think his back was injured at the time. He seems like a very emotional young man. Not very grounded or mature. Regardless, from personal experience, a little back pain goes along way towards messing with you.

I think it was the emotional side but it was the emotion of seeing all the Orlando fans livid and calling him out personally for abandoning the team. He couldn't take being the bad guy and went against his agent's advice and signed the extension to show how loyal he was to the Orlando fan base. If it was an issue of $$ and mitigating against the back injury, his agent would have supported the move. It was emotional waffling and not wanting to be perceived as a jerk. (How did that work out?)
  • Like 1

PLEEEEEASE let Houston land Dwight! Will bring all this mind-numbing DH12 talk to a screeching halt, will allow us to use the Houston draft pick next year, and will set us up to be top bidder for his free agency. Dream scenario. Come on Houston, get this done!

• Like 3

GM, I was going to write that sometimes you have to take a huge risk to reap the rewards. When you think enough about it though the Hawks have been taking the great risk for 4 or 5 years now. The Hawks have been the ones trying to win a title the way the Pistons did it that one magical maybe somewhat fluky season where they ran into a Kobe/Shaq team that where at their boiling point of hatred for each other. It seems like 9 and 3 quarters of the titles won in the nba are won by a team with at least one mega superstar. Trying to do it any other way is more of a gamble than trading Horford for Dwight Howard imo. Im sure there where some C's fans that didnt want to trade AlJeff for Garnett. Im sure there where plenty of Laker fans who didnt want to trade Vlade for Kobe. etc etc Kobe and Shaq were both spoiled jerks, so was KG in Minny. Thats just how these divas are. Problem is very rarely do championships come without them.

Edited by NJHAWK

I'm only talking in terms of Houston's willingness to take D12 without any guarantee.

And again, they don't need extra capspace for Lopez, Dwight bounces then they have it in droves. That's a move they could of done without amnestying Scola so I can't see any connection. No, the Scola amnesty is a move done purely to get Dwight plus absorbs contracts from Orlando and then entice him to stay and bring in a second max next season.

• Moderators

And again, they don't need extra capspace for Lopez, Dwight bounces then they have it in droves. That's a move they could of done without amnestying Scola so I can't see any connection. No, the Scola amnesty is a move done purely to get Dwight plus absorbs contracts from Orlando and then entice him to stay and bring in a second max next season.

I think he is saying it isn't a move to get Dwight, but it makes a trade for Dwight more attractive that they could flip him for Lopez if it blows up and he absolutely refuses to stay. I can't imagine why the Rockets would want Lopez in that scenario (at that price) but I think that is what he is saying.

• Premium Member

This all puzzles me a bit.The Hawks have a bunch of shooters now in addition to Josh, Horford, and ZaZa. Is this the makeup DF islooking for? Houston appears to be doing whatever it can to acquire D12 for ashot at resigning him.The only way the Hawks will ever get a sniff at D12 is through a trade.It appears to me the Hawks are not after D12

This all puzzles me a bit. The Hawks have a bunch of shooters now in addition to Josh, Horford, and ZaZa. Is this the makeup DF islooking for? Houston appears to be doing whatever it can to acquire D12 for ashot at resigning him. The only way the Hawks will ever get a sniff at D12 is through a trade. It appears to me the Hawks are not after D12

Maybe we are trading Josh for Bynum.

I think he is saying it isn't a move to get Dwight, but it makes a trade for Dwight more attractive that they could flip him for Lopez if it blows up and he absolutely refuses to stay. I can't imagine why the Rockets would want Lopez in that scenario (at that price) but I think that is what he is saying.

I got what she (c'mon, mod. Know your patrons) was saying but it's still a big leap to go from Dwight and Bynum to ending up with Lopez.

Outside of the Nets and LA all other bidders would not have a great team this season so I see the move as matching Atlanta's ability to be mediocre this season but be able to draw in another max next season.

• Premium Member

GM, I was going to write that sometimes you have to take a huge risk to reap the rewards. When you think enough about it though the Hawks have been taking the great risk for 4 or 5 years now. The Hawks have been the ones trying to win a title the way the Pistons did it that one magical maybe somewhat fluky season where they ran into a Kobe/Shaq team that where at their boiling point of hatred for each other. It seems like 9 and 3 quarters of the titles won in the nba are won by a team with at least one mega superstar. Trying to do it any other way is more of a gamble than trading Horford for Dwight Howard imo. Im sure there where some C's fans that didnt want to trade AlJeff for Garnett. Im sure there where plenty of Laker fans who didnt want to trade Vlade for Kobe. etc etc Kobe and Shaq were both spoiled jerks, so was KG in Minny. Thats just how these divas are. Problem is very rarely do championships come without them.

Good point. How will this team ever get the superstar it needs? I'd love to get Shabazz Muhammad in the draft, but I don't want to see the Hawks suck for an entire season to get him. Tanking just doesn't seem to be the way to go anymore since the draft is such a gamble with too many variables. If the Hawks have a chance to get a superstar, they need to jump on it ASAP. I don't even really like Dwight to be honest. He didn't seem genuine when he came into the league with that 'goody goody' routine and he's been beyond flakey in his dealings with Orlando when all they've done is try to cater to him. With that said, this is the Hawks time to get the one thing they've lacked since 'Nique got traded. If not now, when/how? Edited by hawkman

Guest Walter

I think it's also that jerks this spoiled that aren't as talented end up playing for Alabama State or the like. Only talent affords spoiled jerks the opportunity to win NBA championships W Edited by Walter

Guest Walter

I don't want to see the Hawks suck for an entire season to get him. Tanking just doesn't seem to be the way to go anymore since the draft is such a gamble with too many variables. If the Hawks have a chance to get a superstar, they need to jump on it ASAP.

The Hawks suck at sucking. It's one of the bad things they do poorly. Charlotte will out-suck us. No way Ferry can out-suck front-office MJ.

I just find the whole Josh-Dwight relationship to be an interesting variable in all this talk. Everyone assumes any scenario where we get Dwight will include Josh Smith staying in ATL...Is that a 100% safe assumption?Who would Dwight have a better basketball chemistry fit with - Josh or Al?Who would YOU rather pair Dwight with - Josh or Al?What if it was Horford and not Josh that was Dwight's "friend"?

• Moderators
In an effort to avoid weeks / months / etc. of Dwight Howard discussion, speculation, etc. we are going to create two threads (1) for discussion of Dwight and (2) for news updates. Please don't create new topics on this as all this will do is create extra work for the moderators and annoy posters already sensitive to information overload on this issue. The "news" thread is not intended for discussion - simply for posting of new articles, etc. for easy perusal of readers. The discussion thread is intended for all the comment, debate, etc. Thanks for your help! AHF / Dolfan Edited by AHF

• Premium Member

Here is what the city of Atlanta, Hawks front office and fans need to know and understand.1. The Hawks will not be able to attract a player that is a NBA superstar to this team by free agency.2. Al Horford or Josh Smith are not or ever will be superstar players.3. Dwight Howard is a superstar player.If you are Atlanta you have to do this deal and give up Horford if you want to enter the NBA elite stage. You make this deal if you are Atlanta no matter if Dwight agrees in the trade to an extension. The Hawks will only get a 1 in whatever chance in a NBA lottery in the next ten years to get a potential superstar. This is a once in a lifetime deal for the Hawks to get a superstar player. If Houston gets Howard then they are in the drivers seat to re-sign him in the offseason and they know it. If the Hawks acquire Howard to play with Smith this will be a nasty team and Howard will re-sign. But you dont get the chance to see if you dont roll the dice.So, will Atlanta let this once in a lifetime deal go?

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I will add this in addition.........Danny Ferry said this team could as constructed could not continue because they have no chance of being a championship team....based on this and the number of guards we now have on the roster and no star SF on the roster..............who would be be looking to acquire besides Dwight?Your thoughts?