• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

****Dwight Howard Discussion Thread****

BusBoyIsBack

Charlotte were about to give an offer sheet to the Nets. That forced Billy Kings hand. They could have come up with a screwy offer like the one that the Griz gave Smoove. They could have put a no trade clause in it. Does anyone know if any BYC rules still apply to Lopez for a year? Wasnt ther one before that said a BYC player could only be traded at half salary value or something?

Edited by NJHAWK

• Moderators

He can't play in Orlando this year. Everyone knows this. Bradley has a good article on it http://blogs.ajc.com/mark-bradley-blog/2012/07/12/whiny-dwight-howard-has-become-a-bigger-meanie-than-lebron/?cxntfid=blogs_mark_bradley_blog and i agree with him that he isn't worth the trouble. I think he exercised his option because of his back problems. Its time to move on.

• Moderators

Serge is an average pf with leaping ability He is not a great rebounder and he can't guard players on the perimeter or players that are bigger then him. He is basically josh smith without the passing or the offense. He is a weak side blocker. He was really exposed in the playoffs too

The question of the right price point on Ibaka is a much more interesting discussion. (Preview: Unlike Dwight, it is less than the max.) Edited by AHF

• Premium Member

As hard as Orlando has been working to deal him, If Dwight Howard wanted to be here, then doesn't it make sense that the deal would have been done already? The Hawks have the best package to offer. It's a great package and should have been on the table last season (if it wasn't already offered).

The bottom line is that Danny Ferry is not about to fork over an All-Star center (plus whatever else the Magic wants) and take on salary, just to rent Dwight Howard for 1 season. With his public trade demands, the fact that Orlando has no interest in starting the season with him on the roster, and all the drama surrounding the situation, it should be painfully obvious that Dwight doesn't want to play here.

What does that mean? Either Orlando takes a crap package for Howard and unloads him onto a team for a rental or Dwight changes his mind. It really has nothing to do with us - because we'd jump at the opportunity to sign him.

• Moderators

As hard as Orlando has been working to deal him, If Dwight Howard wanted to be here, then doesn't it make sense that the deal would have been done already? The Hawks have the best package to offer. It's a great package and should have been on the table last season (if it wasn't already offered).

It depends on how high a priority it is for Orlando to unload bad contracts. If that is worth more than talented players, then Houston is the best package.

With his public trade demands, the fact that Orlando has no interest in starting the season with him on the roster, and all the drama surrounding the situation, it should be painfully obvious that Dwight doesn't want to play here.

Per tradition, I concur wholeheartedly with you're saying, Wretch - but people have romantic notions that we can convince him to stay.

I, for one, am torn - I was admant about not trading Al without a committment, but all the talk here has admittedly influenced me to thinking 'eff it, pull the trigger.' At least the franchise could say for once they had the cajones to go all in, and if it doesn't work out, we can hopefully gain some compensation with SNT scenarios.

Having said all that, I don't see Dwight in the ATL.

It depends on how high a priority it is for Orlando to unload bad contracts. If that is worth more than talented players, then Houston is the best package.

Bingo. As I said in a previous thread, Houston absolutely makes the most sense. It's going to take the Magic years to rebuild, and while still just 26, Al is more attractive to teams already there.

The question of the right price point on Ibaka is a much more interesting discussion. (Preview: Unlike Dwight, it is less than the max.)

Problem with that is with Hibbert and Lopez getting the max, Ibaka will likely command it as well.

Serge is an average pf with leaping ability He is not a great rebounder and he can't guard players on the perimeter or players that are bigger then him. He is basically josh smith without the passing or the offense. He is a weak side blocker. He was really exposed in the playoffs too

Sounds pretty accurate. His game is missing a whole lot. I saw on some statistical analystics site that said the two greatest factors for the Heat winning were LeBron out-assisting Durant by like 26, and the Miami bench shooting about 20% better or so than the Thunder's. All valid, but the blame squarely has to go on the Thunder front line IMO, mainly Perkins and Ibaka, along with the coaching staff who gave up on them too often and played small-ball at the wrong times, as well as the Idiana front line who couldn't take advantage with Bosh out. I definitely came away with a lesser opinion of Ibaka than I had before just in terms of his awareness and ability to step up. I can't see any comparison to Silly Dwight. Edited by benhillboy

• Moderators

Problem with that is with Hibbert and Lopez getting the max, Ibaka will likely command it as well.

If Ibaka was a true center, I would agree. I don't think he is a center. You pay a premium for 7 footers in the NBA. You don't pay the same premium on power forwards. Edited by AHF

I usually dislike AJC writer Mark Bradley but I hate to admit this guy actually wrote some good points about Howard being overrated and its pretty obvious!

http://blogs.ajc.com/mark-bradley-blog/2012/07/03/with-money-to-spend-should-the-hawks-spend-it-on-dwight/

the article above that is written by Bradley makes me scared to go after D12 and give up Horford and Teague now. I mean after you read this article if you havent already you will have to agree that D12 NEEDS to have a superstar wing man or point guard!...also because like Bradley stated in his article D12 does not have a legit offense post move nor does he makes his free throws and he gets plenty of them!

So here's my ONE BIG problem with D12 similar to what Bradley is saying:

-if we sign him WE MUST get a scoring wing who can create shots for themselves or a traditional pg (hopefully harris is good enough). Howard lacks so much offense ability it isnt funny! I mean be honest Bynum is killing Howard when it comes to low post scoring and overall offense for a BIG. Howard offense is terrible of course he can dunk when in position, run well on the fast break and get to the line and miss! but that wont help us win a championship against good defensive teams like the heat and celtics! they wont double team howard all day!

I know we want a superstar squawkers but Im getting cold feet BIG time. Ferry better think long and hard about this even if howard decides to extend with us. If CP3 dont come I see no championship with just Smoove and Howard no way. Howard is great on defense and very stoppable on offense! IF OKC and miami can get to the Championship with weak non scoring centers we almost just need a BIG body like Brendan Haywood type and go after all star wing players!

• Like 1

• Moderators

IF OKC and miami can get to the Championship with weak non scoring centers we almost just need a BIG body like Brendan Haywood type and go after all star wing players!

Once we sign the equivalent of Lebron & Wade or Westbrook/Durant/Harden then I am all on board for passing up Dwight for Brendan Haywood.

Until that day, I want Dwight and will work to draft or add the next Harden, Paul Pierce, Ginobili, Parker, Paul, etc. type that we can draft or that become available in FA.

• Like 1

Dwight Howard is to Serge Ibaka as Dwayne Wade is to Kevin Martin.

I think it's more like Dwyane Wade to Bruce Bowen. Dwight Howard is the best rebounder in the NBA by far, along with being the best defender in the NBA by a long stretch. In fact, he's one of the best rebounders in history by rebounding percentage. He has carried top 5 defensive teams over the years without any legit perimeter defenders, and Rashard Lewis as his PF. He is miles ahead of Ibaka offensively as he constantly draws double teams and gets opposing big men in foul trouble more than anyone in the NBA. He is the reason Orlando is tops in the league in 3 pointers every season. He is a player teams gameplan for, Ibaka is not. He carried a team to the finals with Rashard Lewis as his second best player. Ibaka did the same with Durant, Westbrook, and Harden (all three MILES better than Lewis). This is not even close. I'll lose Horford and take Dwight over adding Ibaka without hesitation. Edited by AtLaS

I usually dislike AJC writer Mark Bradley but I hate to admit this guy actually wrote some good points about Howard being overrated and its pretty obvious!

http://blogs.ajc.com...d-it-on-dwight/

the article above that is written by Bradley makes me scared to go after D12 and give up Horford and Teague now. I mean after you read this article if you havent already you will have to agree that D12 NEEDS to have a superstar wing man or point guard!...also because like Bradley stated in his article D12 does not have a legit offense post move nor does he makes his free throws and he gets plenty of them!

-if we sign him WE MUST get a scoring wing who can create shots for themselves or a traditional pg (hopefully harris is good enough). Howard lacks so much offense ability it isnt funny! I mean be honest Bynum is killing Howard when it comes to low post scoring and overall offense for a BIG. Howard offense is terrible of course he can dunk when in position, run well on the fast break and get to the line and miss! but that wont help us win a championship against good defensive teams like the heat and celtics! they wont double team howard all day!

I know we want a superstar squawkers but Im getting cold feet BIG time. Ferry better think long and hard about this even if howard decides to extend with us. If CP3 dont come I see no championship with just Smoove and Howard no way. Howard is great on defense and very stoppable on offense! IF OKC and miami can get to the Championship with weak non scoring centers we almost just need a BIG body like Brendan Haywood type and go after all star wing players!

I would wait until next season. Re-sign Smith, re-sign Harris, re-sign Morrow, keep Horford and maybe, just maybe, Howard might see that as a team that could compete for a championship. Edited by Watchman

http://blogs.ajc.com...d-it-on-dwight/

Dwight carried a team to the Finals with Rashard Lewis as his second best player. Jameer Nelson didn't even play in the playoffs and he was their 3rd best player.

D12 does not have a legit offense post move nor does he makes his free throws and he gets plenty of them!

The same could be said about Shaquille O'neal. The fact is that Dwight constantly draws doubles, gets opposing bigs in foul trouble, and puts up 20+ and 14+ on 60% shooting. He's the best defender and rebounder in the NBA. If you get a chance to get the best big in the league, you take it, period.

Send him out west. Keep him away from the Hawks.Sure, I'm probably the only Hawk fan in the world that don't want Howard here.There are more than one reason.His injured back, for starters. Who knows, he may be great and have no moretrouble with it, ever. Then again, there's always the chance that you tie up allthat money in him and the back goes out. We just got out of a mega contract.I don't want another one and that's what he would demand to come here.We have heard rumors that he has five children here - by five different women.At stud service, he's great, if the rumors are true but that doesn't sound likehe would be very comfortable here with this kind of family. Maybe this is onlya rumor. But, maybe it isn't.What is your definition of a brat? Personally, I see him as a poster child fora spoiled brat. Look how he's treated his current team. "If I don't get my way,I'll take my ball and go home." I know. Brat is used to describe a small child,not this great big stud. The cost to bring him here would be enormous. Then, if the Hawks didn't winand win and win, what would the fans do? Continue to fill the stadium and cheerfor their very own Superman? Sure they would. Without a doubt.As I said, I'm probably the only distractor there is. So be it. That's my storyand I'm sticking to it.

• Like 3