• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Ferry's Bluff

tbhawksfan

We cannot afford Horford, Smith, Howard and CP3. We'll be lucky to be able to afford 3 of them and still field a balanced and deep enough team around them. If you tried to get all 4 of them you'd be looking at between $60-$70 tied up in just those 4 players and that means rookie and vet min deals to fill out the roster and personally I'd rather have 3 of those guys along with 2-3 other quality but far lesser paid players.

• Premium Member

Hold out in the hope that Howard doesn't sign, becomes a FA and with Smith, Horford, Jenkins, L Williams, JT or CP3 and a couple of firsts, decides that the Hawks really are the best destination. Hope Howard holds out.

Well, if Howard plays this season, he's going to Brooklyn and will get his endorsements. IF he holds out, he will go to whoever has a good deal for Orlando and is willing to take a chance. That could be us. However, I think Ferry will take Horf off the table?

• Premium Member

I think Ferry's goal has to be to make this team as attractive as possible while maintaining the cap flexibility to add major pieces. It'll be interesting to see what the next move is. If I were Dwight, I wouldn't committ to anyone and truly test free agency.

• Moderators

If we get Howard, we don't need CP3. If we don't get Howard, CP3 won't help.

Agree. I'd take Dwight all day over CP3. Best center in the league with Teague/Harris is still a title contender. Howard with CP3 is also a title contender, but with only scrubs to back them up. I'll take this any day: C - DH12 PF - Horf SF - Smoove SG - Morrow/Jenkins PG - Teague/Harris and a solid, deep bench with: CG - Williams SG - Morrow/Jenkins PG - Teague/Harris C - Zaza PF - Benson/Scott And resigned 2012-13 veterans, either Stevenson, Korver, and/or Petro.

Agree. I'd take Dwight all day over CP3. Best center in the league with Teague/Harris is still a title contender. Howard with CP3 is also a title contender, but with only scrubs to back them up. I'll take this any day: C - DH12 PF - Horf SF - Smoove SG - Morrow/Jenkins PG - Teague/Harris and a solid, deep bench with: CG - Williams SG - Morrow/Jenkins PG - Teague/Harris C - Zaza PF - Benson/Scott And resigned 2012-13 veterans, either Stevenson, Korver, and/or Petro.

Being real generous here C - DH12 PF - Horf - 12 SF - Smoove - 13.2 SG - Morrow/Jenkins - 5 PG - Teague/Harris - 11 and a solid, deep bench with: CG - Williams - 5 SG - Morrow/Jenkins - already paid PG - Teague/Harris - already paid C - Zaza - 5.5 PF - Benson/Scott - 1.5 And resigned 2012-13 veterans, either Stevenson, Korver, and/or Petro. 11 total Assuming you got everything you want, before Dwight I count 64 million, no one traded. How pray tell did we get Dwight too? I'm going to make this easy and quite frankly this whole post belongs up in the Dwight thread but. In order to get Dwight, you will have to sign him next year into the voided salary space left by the expiring contracts of Harris, Smith, Paculia, Morrow, Petro, etc. On the books you will definately have Teague, Horford, Stephenson, Williams, Jenkins for a total of 23 million. Now if we assume you are keeping Smith, you have a bare minimum of 13.2 million from last year and I'm not sure of his "hold". But let's assume the lower which is 13.2 million. Even if you renounced your rights to all of the above free agents. You are then at 36.2 million committed (barring tragedy this year Josh is not signing for 13.2 next year). That leaves 22 million to sign Dwight. For each of the above listed free agents you keep, your room to sign Dwight gets smaller as do your sign and trade chips. This is the same issue Brooklyn had this offseason in trying to acquire him. The reason we have all the assets (listed below this) is to attempt to acquire Dwight on or after September 15 when all the traded players become available. We will need about 17 million in salary to take back Dwight and JRich. Morrow - 4 (he's staying....Dwight bait) Korver - 5 Williams - .76 Petro - 3.5 Harris - 8.5 and Zaza - 5.23 Now I want you to look at a very interesting anomaly there. Korver + Williams + Petro + Harris = 17.75 ish million. Take out Petro and add in Zaza and you can take back Earl Clark too. Doesn't matter to me. Either deal keeps us out of the Luxury Tax. I've been talking about this for 2 weeks and we haven't seen a Dwight deal yet. I'm betting this deal goes down around Sept 15-18 with 2-3 first round picks included.

Being real generous here C - DH12 PF - Horf - 12 SF - Smoove - 13.2 SG - Morrow/Jenkins - 5 PG - Teague/Harris - 11 and a solid, deep bench with: CG - Williams - 5 SG - Morrow/Jenkins - already paid PG - Teague/Harris - already paid C - Zaza - 5.5 PF - Benson/Scott - 1.5 And resigned 2012-13 veterans, either Stevenson, Korver, and/or Petro. 11 total Assuming you got everything you want, before Dwight I count 64 million, no one traded. How pray tell did we get Dwight too? I'm going to make this easy and quite frankly this whole post belongs up in the Dwight thread but. In order to get Dwight, you will have to sign him next year into the voided salary space left by the expiring contracts of Harris, Smith, Paculia, Morrow, Petro, etc. On the books you will definately have Teague, Horford, Stephenson, Williams, Jenkins for a total of 23 million. Now if we assume you are keeping Smith, you have a bare minimum of 13.2 million from last year and I'm not sure of his "hold". But let's assume the lower which is 13.2 million. Even if you renounced your rights to all of the above free agents. You are then at 36.2 million committed (barring tragedy this year Josh is not signing for 13.2 next year). That leaves 22 million to sign Dwight. For each of the above listed free agents you keep, your room to sign Dwight gets smaller as do your sign and trade chips. This is the same issue Brooklyn had this offseason in trying to acquire him. The reason we have all the assets (listed below this) is to attempt to acquire Dwight on or after September 15 when all the traded players become available. We will need about 17 million in salary to take back Dwight and JRich. Morrow - 4 (he's staying....Dwight bait) Korver - 5 Williams - .76 Petro - 3.5 Harris - 8.5 and Zaza - 5.23 Now I want you to look at a very interesting anomaly there. Korver + Williams + Petro + Harris = 17.75 ish million. Take out Petro and add in Zaza and you can take back Earl Clark too. Doesn't matter to me. Either deal keeps us out of the Luxury Tax. I've been talking about this for 2 weeks and we haven't seen a Dwight deal yet. I'm betting this deal goes down around Sept 15-18 with 2-3 first round picks included.

The problem is, to quote Spike Lee, "It's the shoes". No payday shoe contract here in Atl, no DH12.

• Premium Member

We'd still have to either trade Horford or let Josh walk in order to sign both Dwight and CP3. I honestly wish we could trade Josh to get Dwight and keep him but I think the only way Dwight would want to come here and stay would be to play with Josh.

It's like they read my posts or something. http://www.peachtreehoops.com/2012/7/24/3174827/dwight-howard-trade-rumors-important-dates-this-season

We are scheduled to be around 48mil. under the cap next summer. Maybe another 10-12 to the LT. If we invest into Al,Josh, D12 and CP3, every penny over the LT is well worth that championship team. Philips is packed on Christmas day and every other game. Every weekend game is soldout. The average points given up is 83. 'Nique will be talking to the national guys at halftimes.

If we get Howard, we don't need CP3. If we don't get Howard, CP3 won't help.

With Dwight and Josh we still need a floor leader (PG). Teague isn't that. CP3 carried mediocre teams such as the Hornets and Clippers basically by himself in the playoffs.

• Premium Member

With Dwight and Josh we still need a floor leader (PG). Teague isn't that. CP3 carried mediocre teams such as the Hornets and Clippers basically by himself in the playoffs.

1st of all, its a little early to give up on Teague and secondly, you can get a far cheaper floor leader for much less than a max contract if that's all you need. Heck even Devin Harris might be an adequate floor leader. But remember, this team wouldn't be designed to lead the league in scoring

1st of all, its a little early to give up on Teague and secondly, you can get a far cheaper floor leader for much less than a max contract if that's all you need. Heck even Devin Harris might be an adequate floor leader. But remember, this team wouldn't be designed to lead the league in scoring

Dwight and Josh won't trust Teague like they trust CP3..... and respectfully so. Not to mention CP3 is the best PG in the league; It is ridiculous you guys don't want CP3. Give me CP3 over Horford. Teague is not a playmaker. Paul is one of the best.

We are scheduled to be around 48mil. under the cap next summer. Maybe another 10-12 to the LT. If we invest into Al,Josh, D12 and CP3, every penny over the LT is well worth that championship team. Philips is packed on Christmas day and every other game. Every weekend game is soldout. The average points given up is 83. 'Nique will be talking to the national guys at halftimes.

No we aren't. Horford - 12 million Williams - 5 million Jenkins - 1 million Teague is on his option - 3 million. Stephenson (not guaranteed) 2.5 million not nitpicking but we have about 23.5 million committed next year....just count Teague's he isn't going anywhere unless it's part of a trade. So we are 34.5 under the cap...not 48 million.

No we aren't. Horford - 12 million Williams - 5 million Jenkins - 1 million Teague is on his option - 3 million. Stephenson (not guaranteed) 2.5 million not nitpicking but we have about 23.5 million committed next year....just count Teague's he isn't going anywhere unless it's part of a trade. So we are 34.5 under the cap...not 48 million.

Yep... and as I've said many times we CANNOT afford to keep BOTH Al and Josh and add 2 MAX players to the roster unless they all take pay cuts because you can't have a team with nearly $70 million committed to 4 players under the new CBA. There are much harsher penalties than just being fined for being over and we'd have an extremely difficult time filling out the roster and making moves with a team like that.

• Moderators

You can go ahead and eliminate that non-guaranteed contract with Stephenson and call it $37M under the cap.