Ferry on Josh Smith

All Josh has done is give his all to help this team win. How that can be misconstrued as being disrespectful, I don't know.

Josh routinely yells at refs, loafs back down the court on defense and has had very real altercations with both Woody and Drew. If you don't call those being disrespectful on some level then you're not being honest in your evaluation. With that being said I certainly wouldn't trade Josh because of that, but I would really love if he'd grow up and not have those issues.
  • Like 1

Cmon let's be real....is he really going to talk bad about a player as volatile as Josh. Could you imagine Josh's reaction if Ferry had said the following: "I like Josh Smith, but he can improve on the offensive end by playing more down low and not shooting as much jumpers".

Josh would've probably said something like this: "I don't really listen to what others say about me, I am my own critic. I know how much I love the game and my teammates back me up on whatever I do on the court."

No, You c'mon.... Whose was the easiest player to trade this off season?

I'll give you a hint:

[*]He was said to be our best player by two NBA HOF(Magic and Chuck)

[*]Him not making the NBA All-Star had his name trending on twitter.

[*]He is Mr Hate Him or Mr Love Him... lol

[*]He help bring Lou to the Hawks (which clearly shows Danny and Smoove get down like that)

Lou gave you a hint in the audio that DH12 will be here next with him and Smoove.

Here they are, "I recently talked with DH12."

When talking about NBA players not coming to play for the Hawks: "I think it because other teams made cap room. Now Atlanta has done this. They have a chance at getting DH12."

This is a man who just talked with DH12 and claims he talks with him weekly. Who is good friends with him. "IF" DH12 didn't want to come here, Lou would know this.

Back to Smoove...

Danny had a trade ready and waiting from the Lakers to send Smoove packing. He didn't... in other words... Smoove is his guy he wants on this team.

Another you and other will continue to make yourself believe Smoove will not be here. You're fooling yourself. I will continue to be around to say. Lets move on from all this talk and talk more about how this team is going to look and play. :-)

• Premium Member

If by "beast" you mean "I'm gonna settle for 10-15 jump shots a night that I hit only roughly 35% of the time instead of getting in the low post or attacking the rim" then by all means Josh is the beastiest beast that ever beasted.

He's the only player in NBA history I can think of that has one insanely glaring hole in his game that instead of fixing or simply not doing he insists on doing it all game, every game, every season. He's the Charlie Brown of the NBA. He'll keep teeing up for that football that he only kicks 35% of the time.

This is a GM speaking positively of a key player on his team who produced well on the court last season. I'm having a hard time understanding all of the negativity in this thread. Posters throwing jabs at Joe on his way out, trashing Teague after a solid first season as a starter, and now turning a positive article about a Hawks player into something negative. Am I on an Atlanta Hawks fansite?
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

This is a GM speaking positively of a key player on his team who produced well on the court last season. I'm having a hard time understanding all of the negativity in this thread. Posters throwing jabs at Joe on his way out, trashing Teague after a solid first season as a starter, and now turning a positive article about a Hawks player into something negative. Am I on an Atlanta Hawks fansite?

I'm providing a fair analysis to your post that would have us believe Josh is some kind of superstar that we as fans are lucky to have on the team. The actual Josh Smith I've watched for eight seasons now doesn't live up to the hype.

• Premium Member

I'm providing a fair analysis to your post that would have us believe Josh is some kind of superstar that we as fans are lucky to have on the team. The actual Josh Smith I've watched for eight seasons now doesn't live up to the hype.

Not once have I called Josh a superstar.

There is several reasons Ferry is praising Smoove a lot. One he is a very good player. Smoove willingness to play defense and guard just about any position is huge. Two Ferry now realizes getting a big name Free Agent here despite the cap space might be harder then he originally thought. He need to keep Smoove happy because he can't afford to lose him.

• Like 1

Almost every poster here has some kind of sad agenda. It's frustrating, especially when you can't have a positive thread about a player before its begins to be flooded by those who have nothing but negative things to say about a particular player.
  • Like 1

There is several reasons Ferry is praising Smoove a lot. One he is a very good player. Smoove willingness to play defense and guard just about any position is huge. Two Ferry now realizes getting a big name Free Agent here despite the cap space might be harder then he originally thought. He need to keep Smoove happy because he can't afford to lose him.

I agree. Josh needs to be here to help attract another guy. Ferry is doing what he can to help get Smith on-board with the remake of the Hawks. This can only be a good thing. Players are now explicitly part of the recruiting process and Josh needs to be out there trying to get Howard, Paul, and who knows who else to consider Atlanta as a destination. Bottomline: I'm glad Ferry is talking positively about Josh. Regarding the "negative" v. "positive" posts. Josh is just polarizing becuase those who critisize him recognize that he could be even better if he'd stop doing the things he doesn't do very well. While the positivists want to emphasize the things he does bring to the table. Same player, but it different focul points for the evaluation. Edited by frosgrim

• Moderators

Three - if he is going to lose Josh, anything he can do to boost Josh's reputation and trade value is to the good.

• Premium Member

Almost every poster here has some kind of sad agenda. It's frustrating, especially when you can't have a positive thread about a player before its begins to be flooded by those who have nothing but negative things to say about a particular player.

Yes, I remember many a positive thread about Joe Johnson being flooded by those who have nothing but negative things to say.

Posted Image

I don't really see being able to discuss the negative along with the positive as being an agenda against a player. Certainly there are a few posters who are ONLY negative or ONLY positive about a particular player but for the most part the people here praise just as much as they criticize. If the day ever comes where people are only writing positive things about the players and the team I think it will get very boring around here.

• Moderators

I don't really see being able to discuss the negative along with the positive as being an agenda against a player. Certainly there are a few posters who are ONLY negative or ONLY positive about a particular player but for the most part the people here praise just as much as they criticize. If the day ever comes where people are only writing positive things about the players and the team I think it will get very boring around here.

No. You are wrong, wrong, wrong. Everyone should agree. I can't disagree with your statement strongly enough. Positive agreement on all topics. (Trying for a Life of Brian sort of post.)

No. You are wrong, wrong, wrong. Everyone should agree. I can't disagree with your statement strongly enough. Positive agreement on all topics. (Trying for a Life of Brian sort of post.)

You will conform to the new Hawksquawk agenda!

LOL . . people can't see how Josh is "disrespectful" at times? People act like there isn't any basis to this line of reasoning. - Who did Woody have numerous altercations with? With the most serious being this one http://dimemag.com/2...h-mike-woodson/ - What PG did Josh have a verbal disagreement with ON THE COURT in that dude's 1st game as a Hawk, because he wouldn't pass Josh the ball out top, and wanted Josh to go to the post? ( see if some of you know the answer to that ) - Who did Josh get into it with last season, simply because the new "tough guy" on the team told him to quit crying to the refs? ( and then the coach suspends the "tough guy" . . . lol ) - Who has led the Hawks in technical fouls the past 7 years? ( technicals that are mainly the result of him constantly crying to the refs ) - Who lashed out at the All-Star selection process after he was passed over? ( A process in which coaches picked those reserves ) - Who blows off our starting PG when he has his hands out to bring the ball up the court, simply because HE wants to be the PG of the team? It's just amazing to me that everybody else can get ripped for every little thing they do. But when Smith repeatedly does things to the detriment of the team ( and himself ), the excuse is . . "oh he just wants to win so bad". Dennis Rodman wanted to win so bad too. That doesn't mean that he wasn't disrespectful as hell at times. The fact is that whatever reputation Josh Smith has around the league, was molded by HIS actions. And no other player on this team has acted like that over the years. I already know what one of the major storylines of this team is going to be next season. Josh Smith will start the season out being "the man" on offense. But at some point in the season, it will become evident that the guy that we should be going to more on offense, is Al Horford. That's when one or two things will happen 1) Josh will accept that, and still try to be one of the best 5 tool players in the NBA or 2) Josh will not accept that, and he and Horford will clash over who really has control of the team . . and the team will suffer because of that.

Edited by northcyde
  • Like 4

I agree. I'm not saying you can't say something positive and negative about someone. Maybe I should rephrase. A lot of posters have a sad agenda, instead of almost every poster. You got guys who can and will take a positive thread and use it as an opportunity to blast the object of their "hate".

Josh does not deserve that type of respect because he has never given it.

Are you kidding me. Seriously. f*** Joe Johnson, without Josh Smith in our starting lineup, this team would crumble. He brings everything. Leadership, competitiveness, strong defense, and most of all, heart. At any rate, glad to see Ferry here and Josh having a good relationship with him. Should be an interesting season. :)