• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

any certain reason why some of you guys are high on alonzo gee?

JTB

I didn't see anything wrong with Marvin other than him being picked second in the draft which wasn't his fault. He wasn't the savior of our franchise but was a really good glue guy who was accepted his role with class.

marvin's biggest problem was his contract to production ratio.
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

And after your pinpointing leaguewide eyeball test, you came up with WHO? (I'm turning into an owl here with all this "WHO?" lately) If you're fine at SF with Korver and Morrow and occasionally Smoove out of position defensively, great! But otherwise we really need defenders at SF, too. There are such players (Gee, Derrick Brown) that fit that need and are available, and they've been mentioned for weeks. Who (there's that word again) are the low-post-banging C's that are available that address your specific concern? Is this a bench player or a starter? And if it's a starter, which one of Horford or Smoove are you benching to address this now-exacerbated logjam? ~lw3

Like I said, I don't have a big problem with Gee. I just believe that a guy like Gallinari would be a better fit. I would even go for a guy like Iguodala also.

Like I said, I don't have a big problem with Gee. I just believe that a guy like Gallinari would be a better fit. I would even go for a guy like Iguodala also.

And what exactly are the Hawks trading to get those 10+ million dollar salaries for young proven contributors?

• Admin

We are just looking at a cheap decent sf to fill the hole at sf that don't really impact the cap

Personally, I think Alonzo Gee would be a good pickup and I would start him for sure. All we need is a 10 and 5 guy from the 3 spot. Gee is young and still growing, he's also a good defender.Annnnnddd... he is better than Marvin.

Edited by Bawse

• Admin

Personally, I think Alonzo Gee would be a good pickup and I would start him for sure. All we need is a 10 and 5 guy from the 3 spot. Gee is young and still growing, he's also a good defender. Annnnnddd... he is better than Marvin.

Yes he would be a decent pickup but no he is not better then Marvin

In what ways is Marvin better than Gee?

Well besides efficiency, scoring, rebounding, turnovers, shooting and a medley of advanced stats, the most glaring omission in stating that "they both put up 10 and 5" is that one did it for a playoff team while the other did it for a team playing for lottery balls. That latter part is entirely dependent on your view of the "stats on bad teams" quandary, Gee could be seen as tapping into his potential or showing the breath of it.

• Premium Member

We are just looking at a cheap decent sf to fill the hole at sf that don't really impact the cap

and that is what we always do. We fill the hole with a player that doesn't really help and we're happy because we're under the cap. I say find a player that fits. When that is done then we can make cap maneuvers but without that, we're just wasting years. I don't have a problem with Gee, it just remains to be seen if his offense is overbloated due to being on a horrible team and if his defense is really good. When I look at Gallanari, I see a 6'10 Sf who plays good positional defense, can run, can shoot, and who offers a floor spacer for our bigs to work inside.

LOL in all honesty I never thought gallanari was a good defender better yet a decent defender. To me I put him as a sloppy defender. He's one of those guys you can pull the chair from under him and he will fall type players.....Guess I'm saying gallanari is too clumsy to be called good defender but that shot is on point

and that is what we always do. We fill the hole with a player that doesn't really help and we're happy because we're under the cap. I say find a player that fits. When that is done then we can make cap maneuvers but without that, we're just wasting years. I don't have a problem with Gee, it just remains to be seen if his offense is overbloated due to being on a horrible team and if his defense is really good. When I look at Gallanari, I see a 6'10 Sf who plays good positional defense, can run, can shoot, and who offers a floor spacer for our bigs to work inside.

Who's years are the Hawks wasting? Yours, old man? There's no such thing as wasting years for a franchise with none of their top players even at the age of 27. The team is capped out this year and already went out and used all of their large exceptions to acquire both Louis Williams and Kyle Korver (read: teams looking to do nothing but stay under the cap do not go through the process of adding players with salaries that take them over the cap.....especially not if their intention is tanking) so fans are doing nothing but suggesting players that are available given the small holes on the roster and the fact that, for once, all that is available to the team in free agency is vet minimum exceptions.

Your fascination with Gallo has nothing to do with that and offers zero solutions to the matter. All the Hawks currently need (and all most of us are discussing) is a cheap stopgap before they can pursue actually worthwhile players and you are coming from left field suggesting that they burn that cap space and an asset to pursue an average SF owed 42 million over the next 4 years. If you miss Marvin that much just come out and say it, don't try to replace him in your heart. Trading for Gallo will just take the team and fans from discussing adding a cheap SF to now discussing adding a cheap replacement for whoever we had to trade to get him.......and you'll bitch about that too.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Who's years are the Hawks wasting? Yours, old man? There's no such thing as wasting years for a franchise with none of their top players even at the age of 27. The team is capped out this year and already went out and used all of their large exceptions to acquire both Louis Williams and Kyle Korver (read: teams looking to do nothing but stay under the cap do not go through the process of adding players with salaries that take them over the cap.....especially not if their intention is tanking) so fans are doing nothing but suggesting players that are available given the small holes on the roster and the fact that, for once, all that is available to the team in free agency is vet minimum exceptions.

Your fascination with Gallo has nothing to do with that and offers zero solutions to the matter. All the Hawks currently need (and all most of us are discussing) is a cheap stopgap before they can pursue actually worthwhile players and you are coming from left field suggesting that they burn that cap space and an asset to pursue an average SF owed 42 million over the next 4 years. If you miss Marvin that much just come out and say it, don't try to replace him in your heart. Trading for Gallo will just take the team and fans from discussing adding a cheap SF to now discussing adding a cheap replacement for whoever we had to trade to get him.......and you'll bitch about that too.

I have given the plan elsewhere. Moreover, you can't run the team on the cheap and expect to win anything. Show me where that happens in the NBA. However, I'm talking about getting a young player who actually gives us something more than a pulse and you're bitching about salary cap. That's the problem that you and I are having.

You're trying to win a championship with collected Bottle tops and wine labels and I'm telling you that that won't win you anything.

You're saying that we have all the time in the world and I'm telling you that there's a definite window... How long do you think it will be before Horford says he's out of this never ending project and he wants to go to a team trying to win a championship? You do know that Smoove is already at that point right? The only reason that Smoove has had a slight change of heart is because DFerry's Kool-aid came with a we're working to get D-12 flavor that Smoove likes. When Smoove finds out that they are out of that flavor but we do have the we have all the time in the world because you're 27 flavor... Smoove is going to either leave or asked to be traded.

What you propose Macecase is that we purposely ruin our reputation and the momentum that Ferry has.

Ferry has grace because it looks like he's on the fast track to build a championship team. If he doesn't do that next year with the signing of some big free agent, his grace definitely runs out. If he's going to build something that takes three years of sucking and after that, losing Horford, then he may as well have just kept Joe and been a good team.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

News flash! Adding Gallanari does not make us a championship contender

The kinder gentler me has prevailed. Previously, I proposed of moving Smoove for Gallanari and then going after Bynum and JJ Redick in FAcy. Moreover, in these terms, those draft picks we have are trade currency as well as organization builders. Bynum is not my top choice because I hate his attitude.. but he is a fit. Bynum, Horf, Gallinari gives us the biggest frontcourt in the league. Redick and Teague gives us two great shooters who can work the inside out game with Bynum and Horf. In the original trade, I suggested Smoove for Gallinari and Mozgov. Mozgov represents a big that can be used behind Bynum. He's that project but there's more to him than Project. This is what I mean by building a championship contender. Not just getting guys with a pulse because they fit under the cap, but getting guys with a purpose. Another thing is that we definitely have Louis Williams off the bench, I would consider one more of our many guards to keep. Maybe Morrow because he is a shooter.

Danilo is not that good. In fact, he's not really good at all. Oh wait! He's not even the best SF on his team. He's nowhere near being a difference maker and would be another example of a terrible contract added to this team that we're going to regret and try to dump years down the line.

I have given the plan elsewhere. Moreover, you can't run the team on the cheap and expect to win anything. Show me where that happens in the NBA. However, I'm talking about getting a young player who actually gives us something more than a pulse and you're bitching about salary cap. That's the problem that you and I are having

You're trying to win a championship with collected Bottle tops and wine labels and I'm telling you that that won't win you anything.

You're saying that we have all the time in the world and I'm telling you that there's a definite window... How long do you think it will be before Horford says he's out of this never ending project and he wants to go to a team trying to win a championship? You do know that Smoove is already at that point right? The only reason that Smoove has had a slight change of heart is because DFerry's Kool-aid came with a we're working to get D-12 flavor that Smoove likes. When Smoove finds out that they are out of that flavor but we do have the we have all the time in the world because you're 27 flavor... Smoove is going to either leave or asked to be traded.

What you propose Macecase is that we purposely ruin our reputation and the momentum that Ferry has.

Ferry has grace because it looks like he's on the fast track to build a championship team. If he doesn't do that next year with the signing of some big free agent, his grace definitely runs out. If he's going to build something that takes three years of sucking and after that, losing Horford, then he may as well have just kept Joe and been a good team.

Firstly, I understand that it's absolutely impossible for you to read and in doing so it makes your arguments entirely illogical but please, Diesel, tell me when exactly does your plan have the ability to take place? Oh is Bynum and Redick getting signed tomorrow, August 7th, 2012? Or is the team waiting a year to get a shot at them? Sooooooooo why are you in a thread talking about filling out this year's roster........by discussing next year's possible moves?

Secondly, the team is not being run on the cheap, that is your womanly hysterics flaring again as there is a large amount of evidence to the contrary. Had the team been running on the cheap then why would we add both Louis Williams and Kyle Korver? Running on the cheap would have been trading Marvin and Joe and then filling out the roster with DLeaguers and Vet Mins but why exactly did Ferry spend an extra 20.7 million on proven veteran players for this season and beyond? We don't have a difference of opinion on the salary cap because you have zero opinion on the salary cap due to being grossly uninformed on it.

Thirdly, and I have to keep myself from laughing too much, how does trading for an extremely mediocre SF owed 42 million over the next 4 years an attractive plan for winning? Do you just have an affinity for extremely overpaid wing players? How does that help the team this year, the year that you seem to be oblivious to? We are discussing getting young SFs that won't even make a quarter of Gallo's salary yet will give 2/3rds of his production to boost this current squad for their playoff run. Whatever benefits Gallo will give this year will not offset the deficiencies of trading Smoove.....so again, why are you even in this thread? So you can doomsday soothsay about "never ending projects"............before the project has even gotten the opportunity to be set in motion. All because Joey is gone... Posted Image

• Like 1

• Admin

It all depends on if we are waiting to make our moves for next season or not. If that is the case we need a SF to hold over until next season. That is why we need someone like Gee. He will plug that hole for this season and strengthen our bench next season when we go after next years free agents. BTW...Gallo is a TERRIBLE defender. Edited by capstone21