• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Goodbye James & Anderson

WraithSentinel

I hope that we have really something going on because I just don't understand to hold on to veteran players playing for a contract and not developing young players to build something for next year.Anyone thinking we have a shot to winning this year is fool, so explain me the difference, we did not wanted to keep the team to reach the playoffs everyyear and go out on 2nd round but we prefer to give the minutes to some veterans that would not make us better on the future to achieve the playoffs and go out on the first round, I just don't get it.I would give 25-30 min to Jenkins, he is a really a special shooter and try to develop Teague, Scott, D. James and a young big like Whiteside, Alabi or Orton, that's the way try to build something. I would say that every team on the league has a young big to develop except us.

I hope that we have really something going on because I just don't understand to hold on to veteran players playing for a contract and not developing young players to build something for next year. Anyone thinking we have a shot to winning this year is fool, so explain me the difference, we did not wanted to keep the team to reach the playoffs everyyear and go out on 2nd round but we prefer to give the minutes to some veterans that would not make us better on the future to achieve the playoffs and go out on the first round, I just don't get it. I would give 25-30 min to Jenkins, he is a really a special shooter and try to develop Teague, Scott, D. James and a young big like Whiteside, Alabi or Orton, that's the way try to build something. I would say that every team on the league has a young big to develop except us.

Jenkins is no more special a shooter than Anthony Morrow or Korver. Jenkins is very wet behind the ear comparing to Morrow and Korver. He does not have NBA defense, heck he didnt have D1 defense. Jenkins cannot get his own shoot (catch and shoot) and requires help to get it off. His time will come, but 25-30 minutes? wow. He will be good to get 6.
  • Like 1

The inverse can also be true that you are giving minutes to non-deserving young guys with the unfounded thought that they automatically have the potential to be greater than the vets you already have. Look no further than the Bobcats as a prime example of mediocre young talent being given the reigns and managing nothing but ensuring many more lotto years to come. If you're honest with yourself you'll know that James, Anderson, Scott, Benson, Jenkins, Orton, whoever were late 1st to 2nd round picks so I have to wonder just how much you are going to expect out of them. Sure, there are gems here and there but overwhelming statistics are against most prospects picked in this tier making it past their initial deals in the NBA so expecting 6+ of them to do so is very unrealistic. You can even look to the Clippers and of course, the Hawks as examples that even if you do have top tier prospects, letting them loose early can actually have detrimental effects on them. They may develop bad habits and define themselves by roles that will never allow them to reach their full potential later.

• Like 1

I would only give significant minutes to Jenkins and Teague. Jenkins is more special than Korver and Morrow, much younger, better ball handling, shots with higher percentage, and I strongly disagree that he do not have defense or cannot create his own shot, I think he is better at that than both Korver and Morrow although I agree he lacks size but is a good prospect at SG on a strong draft class, I would definately give him minutes to develop.About the other young guys I am not saying to give them significant minutes and I don't have any hopes for them to become superstars but I would rather play Hassan Whiteside, Damion James or Mike Scott 12 mpg than Johan Petro or DeShawn Stevenson as they are not going to give us any wins or quality minutes, I would even play Mike Scott ahead of Ivan Johnson due to skills and potential although this is tough as Ivan provides energy and toughness for the team.

I would only give significant minutes to Jenkins and Teague. Jenkins is more special than Korver and Morrow, much younger, better ball handling, shots with higher percentage, and I strongly disagree that he do not have defense or cannot create his own shot, I think he is better at that than both Korver and Morrow although I agree he lacks size but is a good prospect at SG on a strong draft class, I would definately give him minutes to develop. About the other young guys I am not saying to give them significant minutes and I don't have any hopes for them to become superstars but I would rather play Hassan Whiteside, Damion James or Mike Scott 12 mpg than Johan Petro or DeShawn Stevenson as they are not going to give us any wins or quality minutes, I would even play Mike Scott ahead of Ivan Johnson due to skills and potential although this is tough as Ivan provides energy and toughness for the team.

You want the Hawks to be the "Bobcats".

You want the Hawks to be the "Bobcats".

No, I don't but we will anyway if Stevenson, Morrow, Petro and Korver are playing, there is a reason these guys could not even play on one of the worst team on the NBA last year, Nets. If we are going to be the Bobcats I rather play the young guys. I really think Jenkins can become a new Klay Thompson. It's the same thing as 2 years ago when some of us wanted Teague to play and some other wanted him to not leave the bench, look at the player Teague is now, just when he was given the opportunity he begin playing well. I wonder what kind of player would Teague be if he would not have lost 2 seasons looking Mike Bibby play, where did we go with Mike Bibby? Same applies for Jordan Crawford, Jamal left and Jordan Crawford could have filled the gap. For me Jenkins is better than Crawford or at least more efficient.

I thought James played well enough to start at SF or at least see heavy minutes there.

Agree, the only SF that could start. There is a reason this guy was playing on Nets ahead of Morrow and Stevenson.

No, I don't but we will anyway if Stevenson, Morrow, Petro and Korver are playing, there is a reason these guys could not even play on one of the worst team on the NBA last year, Nets. If we are going to be the Bobcats I rather play the young guys. I really think Jenkins can become a new Klay Thompson.

It's the same thing as 2 years ago when some of us wanted Teague to play and some other wanted him to not leave the bench, look at the player Teague is now, just when he was given the opportunity he begin playing well. I wonder what kind of player would Teague be if he would not have lost 2 seasons looking Mike Bibby play, where did we go with Mike Bibby? Same applies for Jordan Crawford, Jamal left and Jordan Crawford could have filled the gap. For me Jenkins is better than Crawford or at least more efficient.

Agree, the only SF that could start. There is a reason this guy was playing on Nets ahead of Morrow and Stevenson.

Huh? Korver played significant, meaningful minutes for the Bulls. Morrow played in 62 games starting 18 at 26 minutes per, Stephenson plays for his defense and Petro is a bum. The roles they had with the Nets is the same role they will have here and are you really trying to blame the losses by the Nets on these guys, come on. They have a role to play that is all.

• Moderators

This conversation is more appropriate the last 3 years than it is now. Talking about pushing good nba vets aside to make room for guys who can't even get into the league like James and Benson or late draft rookies like Jenkins and Scott. Quick name a good 2nd round pick beside Milsap.Anyway, my point is in the past we gave minutes to McGrady, Joe Smith and others who had one foot out the nba door. This year we're whining about guys who while not starters are solid vets in their prime. I'll take those guys over watching some rooks and d-leaguers get schooled by the stars of this league. Oh and we aren't a lottery team. We have Horford, Smith, Teague, Harris, Williams so we are arguing over the supporting cast. Do you think our starters would rather line up with Stevenson, Tolliver, Morrow or Jenkins, Benson, James when facing the Heat?

Why are some talking like guys like Morrow and Tolliver are these old vets, they have both been in the league 4 years, Korver 9 years. Stephenson has been in the league the longest at 12 years.

• Moderators

Coach Larry Drew said the final decisions were not easy, especially in the case of James. The former Hawks draft pick turned heads with his preseason play. “Going into our preseason we were looking at both (Anderson and James) very closely,” Drew said. “Damion James was a guy I was looking at extra close. I love his size. I love his length. I love his athleticism. He’s mindset is to defend. “We thought it was more important to give ourselves a little flexibility by leaving one (roster) spot open. I thought Damion played extremely, extremely well. Probably should have made our club. But again, our mindset was we wanted to allow ourselves flexibility in the event there is something else out there, there is something else that might pop open.”

http://blogs.ajc.com/hawks/2012/10/28/atlanta-hawks-failure-was-not-an-option-for-tolliver/?cxntfid=blogs_hawks

The best 3 moves of the offseason were sending JJ packin'. Oops, that's only 1. After unloading JJ and Marvin, he pretty much knew that, based on expiring contracts and remaining pieces, he would just acquire chips.Do y'all really think that with JJ and Marvin we will advance significantly further than we will with this travelling band of athletes?I believe Ferry will bring us a Championship. To get there requires the unconventional.....

Edited by eddy

I agree. One of the phrases Ferry has used repeatedly is "opportunistic", in that he feels that cap flexibility they've acquired will allow them to have an advantage in pursuing possibilities that could make them greater than they previously were. Everyone wants to assume this means simply going after free agents. But, it could mean packaging a current player with cap space in a trade for a more impactful player.

I agree with this. Ferry may trade a combo of players ( expiring and non-non expiring ) by the deadline to get a more established player or players. Nothing about this team is set in stone. He proved that by moving JJ, who 80% here thought was unmovable...

I agree with this. Ferry may trade a combo of players ( expiring and non-expiring ) by the deadline to get a more established player, players, or pick. Nothing about this team is set in stone. He proved that by moving JJ, who 80% here thought was unmovable...

Edited by Buzzard
  • Like 1

This conversation is more appropriate the last 3 years than it is now. Talking about pushing good nba vets aside to make room for guys who can't even get into the league like James and Benson or late draft rookies like Jenkins and Scott. Quick name a good 2nd round pick beside Milsap.

Manu Ginobili! Did I win? Edited by TheFuzz