• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Big Lineup

Jody23

I hope we get to see this lineup several more times. I've had a feeling Josh at the 3 is the right decision to make, but we need to see it more often to know if he's gonna keep getting (and taking advantage of) mismatches or if tonight was just a one-time thing.

Bit of a disclaimer, Josh had a huge advantage over the 6'6" Sam Young and went after him early and often. Once Indiana decided to play an actual NBA quality player in the 6'9" George that well dried up quick and Josh was no longer having his way. I don't know how many Sam Youngs you can expect to see night in and night out though and it's not as if this is the first time ever that we've rolled out that lineup so I don't know if there is anything definitive to take out of it.

• Like 2

I liked the big lineup tonight. As I suspected, instead of hoisting more jumpers, Josh had a HUGE advantage in the post playing the 3 and he was consistent in taking advantage of it. I would like to see more of this.

Huge advantage? Consistent? Didn't he have all of 11 pts?

The Pacers were rotating harder on the help defense thus shutting JS down but he managed to get 7 assists out of the ordeal. Looked like he was having troubles with the dribbling throughout the game.

I fixed it for you! Seriously, I agree though. Even though he had a few TO's trying to post late in the game, I liked the lineup and I think it definitely gives us the much needed size and hustle that we haven't had at times last season and in the Houston game.

For all those who said Al was "robotic" and couldn't play the 4 well enough full-time, I thought he did pretty good last night. Of course, Hibbert was on him most of the time. I'd like to see this lineup more often before passing judgement on it.

• Premium Member

Bit of a disclaimer, Josh had a huge advantage over the 6'6" Sam Young and went after him early and often. Once Indiana decided to play an actual NBA quality player in the 6'9" George that well dried up quick and Josh was no longer having his way. I don't know how many Sam Youngs you can expect to see night in and night out though and it's not as if this is the first time ever that we've rolled out that lineup so I don't know if there is anything definitive to take out of it.

Actually the well dried when they started to double on him, but as Kimsey noted he was able to serve his team mates, which is always good, unselfish basketball. Josh played a lot better I thought he would, I just wish he would keep playing like this. Props to Josh. GO HAWKS!
  • Like 3

If Josh plays the 3, I want him to have the mindset he had tonight. Don't jack up a lot of shots. Look to score inside. And make plays for other people.I have no problem with him playing like Andre Iguodala. If he does that more often, he'll have better numbers across the board ( even if his scoring is down ) and he WILL make the All-Star team if this team is at playoff level.A 15 point - 9 rebound - 6 assist Josh Smith that shoots 52% FG . . . is better than a 19 point - 9 rebound - 3 assist Josh Smith that shoots 44% FG

• Premium Member

Hate to say I told ya'll so, but yeah... I knew Smoove was going to be Smoove no matter the position he played on the floor... Guys wanted to trade him after the Houston game... Saying that he was the same ole Smoove and going code red. SMHL

hmmm... Right, using the words so many in here use to say.

ONE. GAME. Posted Image

I really hope he gets it now, already looking forward to the Miami game. LeBron will try and hack the [] out of him. Hopefully we'll get a decent ref crew this time.

Josh playing the 3 full time or coming off the bench is the only way to go for longterm success for this team. Still can't see them re-signing him to play PF for this team when you have Al Horford. One needs to go if you think both play PF.

• Premium Member

Josh playing the 3 full time or coming off the bench is the only way to go for longterm success for this team. Still can't see them re-signing him to play PF for this team when you have Al Horford. One needs to go if you think both play PF.

To a large extent, I agree. One thing I saw last night was when Josh plays three, he's more inclined to play in the post because it makes it physically easier for him to score and he doesn't have to expend as much energy. More than that, Josh at the three gives the Hawks a mismatch that WILL draw double teams which will create easier high percentage looks for everyone else.
  • Like 2

To a large extent, I agree. One thing I saw last night was when Josh plays three, he's more inclined to play in the post because it makes it physically easier for him to score and he doesn't have to expend as much energy. More than that, Josh at the three gives the Hawks a mismatch that WILL draw double teams which will create easier high percentage looks for everyone else.

It's beautiful, ain't it?? Hopefully you're right, and hopefully it becomes clear to LD that this is exactly the right way to use this roster.

• Premium Member

I watched the first quarter again and there were three possesions where George guarded Josh in the post. The first, Hibbert came and doubled. The second, he scored on George as easy as he did Sam Young. The third, he back him down and then kicked it to Korver for a missed three. I might also add that Josh guarded George pretty well also.