Falcons: Playoff Edition

How many times has today script repeated itself this year for the Falcons? They jump out to a huge lead and then they just stop scoring. It is this team inability to put teams away which is why there were so many close games. Ultimately it is was just cost them a chance at the Super Bowl. This team better discover the ability to stomp on teams when they got them down this offseason.

• Moderators

The offense didn't score in the second half and Matty's fumble was huge. Really killed it and left a very important 3 pts on the field. We have got to get a pass rush and a MLB. Nolan was way too conservative in the second half. Oh well, to next year. Falcons til I die. Go Falcons!!!Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just realize the Falcons Super Bowl hopes ended pretty much the same spot UGA Natl Championship hopes ended. Seriously we are a curse sports city/state.

Don't lump the pitiful Bulldogs with my Falcons. Thank You sir.

Can't really put that loss on anybody...the fumble was huge tho. But other than that Matt played a heck of a game...just under 400 yards, 3 tds, over 60% completions, n the interception was caused by a slip from roddy. The defense will be much better next year just from getting grimes back (hopefully) n we need to get another linebacker in here but I'm already amped for next year. We'll be perfectly fine.

• Like 1

Enough blame to go around for everyone today, mainly the Defense but what's the old saying? Defense wins championships and the 9res D showed up when it counted. Our D was spotted with a 17 point lead and lost it by the 2nd quarter.

• Like 1

I agree he played an overall good game but 250yds and 2 tds was pretty much in the 1st qtr. He didn't play well in the 2nd half when we really needed it. But the loss was definitely just as much on the defense. Couldn't stop anything. It was in our grasp and we couldn't finish. Oh well... there is always next season.post-2505-13587334964388.jpg

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcsouth/post/_/id/44512/in-the-end-the-same-old-falcons I really wanted to disagree with this. I honestly couldn't find anything to disagree with.

Are U kidding? This is nowhere near the same old falcons, our other playoff losses were flat out embarrasents. We lost this game on a couple of crucial plays, not bc we completely folded bc the moment just overwhelmed us like before. This organization is heading in the right direction, it's a process. We've made the first steps, now all we need is another good offseason with some key free agent pick ups and another good draft and we'll be ok. This team is right there to win a super bowl, remember San Fran lost the championship game last year n came right back. Let us get grimes back, add a legit pass rusher on the other side n add a linebacker n we're fine. If tony does leave I wanna know what we're gonna do to replace him

• Moderators

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcsouth/post/_/id/44512/in-the-end-the-same-old-falcons I really wanted to disagree with this. I honestly couldn't find anything to disagree with. Are U kidding? This is nowhere near the same old falcons, our other playoff losses were flat out embarrasents. We lost this game on a couple of crucial plays, not bc we completely folded bc the moment just overwhelmed us like before. This organization is heading in the right direction, it's a process. We've made the first steps, now all we need is another good offseason with some key free agent pick ups and another good draft and we'll be ok. This team is right there to win a super bowl, remember San Fran lost the championship game last year n came right back. Let us get grimes back, add a legit pass rusher on the other side n add a linebacker n we're fine. If tony does leave I wanna know what we're gonna do to replace him

I agree, this isn't the "same ole Falcons". This team is still learning how to win in the playoffs. Peyton was in his ninth season before he won it all. We were seriously ready to put that game out of reach when Ryan took his eyes off the ball for a split second and fumbled. Shit happens, but Ryan & Julio still have many, many playoff games to look forward too. All the defense needs is three more guys on that front 7 and this team will be legit (DE, DT, MLB ). This loss means more to the older guys like McClure and Gonzo. I think TD should call up NE and ask them about Hernandez. I doubt NE wants two TE's on eventual lucrative deals. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Edited by PSSSHHHRRR87

• Moderators

What a letdown though. I was at the game and it was tough to watch. We just did absolutely nothing good in the second half. I understand that we are still improving as a team but come on. Zero points? And the defense just couldn't seem to stop anything.

I'm just so tired of the Atlanta playoff disease where we lose a winable game because of an interception, fumbled snap, inability to convert 4th and 3. Give me a great run or fantastic catch by the other team and i can live with that.

On the good side I saw Jon Koncak at the game. For some reason the dude had absolutely terrible seats (with me). He was probably 10 rows from the top in the endzone. Come on Cak spend some of that money!

• Like 1

Great story about Koncak macdaddy!

I don't think the 'choke' label is fair. This team overachieved -- the defense was always a big question mark and that was exacerbated by the loss of Grimes. We have tried a number of solutions but we still need an effective pass rushing end to complement Abraham, and really we need to replace him as well posthaste. Also needed is a new feature running back.

I am bitterly disappointed with how the game unfolded. From Roddy slipping on the INT to Matt Ryan dropping a shotgun snap, we gave too much away to a good team. Harry Douglas somehow falls down running wide open down the sideline and an official extending a 49ers drive with a finger to the face call on Kapernick -- it just seems like these types of breaks tend to go against us as Atlanta sports fans (infield fly rule?).

The media waited all year for the Falcons to stumble so they could say 'told you so'. The fact is, the Falcons answered a lot more questions than they raised this year. Last year, the Falcons not only lost the benchmark games, they got blown out (thinking N.O. and NYG away). They were demonstrably a level below Super Bowl contender.

This year, they were 4 pts and 10 yards away. Even with this leaky defense, they were in position to play for a title.

The trio of Tony G, Roddy and Julio in tandem with M. Ryan is elite. The rest of the team needs work. If Tony G retires, he is irreplaceable. It is imperative that TD wins the offseason so Tony G can be convinced to get on board for one last go.

I am hurt because this is an opportunity wasted -- at 17-0 and 24-14 with a Super Bowl trip on the line, to squander it is painful. Drew Brees and Aaron Rodgers will be back. Cam Newton is improving. San Fran appears to be in position for years to come. NYG is always dangerous and RG III and Russell Wilson are emerging. But the Falcons went all the way to the wire and were right there at the end, despite not being given much credit for all of their accomplishments this year.

"Choking" to me would have been to go out there and get dominated on both sides of the ball, or Ryan throwing poorly or making bad decisions due to nerves. Just throwing away the moment by being clearly overwhelmed. None of that happened. M. Ryan showed he can make enough plays against the best an NFL defense can offer. Julio is elite. This team still has a window, but they need to hit some home runs in the offseason.

Very sad for Tony G. What a class act and consummate pro, as well as an asset to the community. Understated. Classy. In stark contrast to Ray Lewis.

My heart hurts for him individually more so even than an NFC Championship game loss as a Falcons fan.

• Like 4