• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Rudy Gay = Better fit with Hawks than Some may Think...

Diesel

• Premium Member

A lot of people make a big deal out of why we shouldn't get Gay. Well, I think Gay would be a better fit here than some may believe. Gay fits good here because of system. I think with the way we play and our personnel, he would be a really good guy who key our offense.

First Criticism = Shooting percent.

I think his shooting percent would be better here than in Memphis. In Memphis, their offense has struggled from the lost of OJ Mayo. Mayo was a prolific three point shooter. When you play beside people who can hit from outside and you play a quasi slashing/outside game, it makes your game better. When Memphis lost that, they made Gay a standstill shooter in Hollins offense. He gains no benefits because they play inside out. He is not a marked man by defenses.

In Drew's free flowing offense, Gay's strengths will be made strengths again. Plus The offense cries for a person who can slash effectively.

Second Criticism = Cost.

We are no longer money strapped. Now is the time to use money for pieces. Face it, it's a rebuild. However, let's see what we have in these pieces up for bid. I think it's good to start off with somebody with Gay's skill. Even with his salary, we can still afford a guy like CP3 to come with him. (I don't think CP3 would come but that's another story).

• Like 1

The problem is Drew doesn't have consistent style of play/offense. One game we run a slow Woody-like Iso offense; and another game we run a run-n-gun uptempo sharing the ball offense

Also, we are no longer strapped shouldn't mean over pay to get mediocre or even above average pieces. From hearing Ferry that is not his goal. We would still have Joe Johnson if that was his goal.

• Premium Member

I agree somewhat with your assessment diesel, Gay is and would be a good slasher in our system, I just don't think he is worth the money being talked about. A SF has to be able to shoot from the wing, and this is the only thing holding Gay back from being a all star player.Bottom line though is if it is up to me, I will pass.

A lot of people make a big deal out of why we shouldn't get Gay. Well, I think Gay would be a better fit here than some may believe. Gay fits good here because of system. I think with the way we play and our personnel, he would be a really good guy who key our offense.

I think his shooting percent would be better here than in Memphis. In Memphis, their offense has struggled from the lost of OJ Mayo. Mayo was a prolific three point shooter. When you play beside people who can hit from outside and you play a quasi slashing/outside game, it makes your game better. When Memphis lost that, they made Gay a standstill shooter in Hollins offense. He gains no benefits because they play inside out. He is not a marked man by defenses.

In Drew's free flowing offense, Gay's strengths will be made strengths again. Plus The offense cries for a person who can slash effectively.

Second Criticism = Cost.

We are no longer money strapped. Now is the time to use money for pieces. Face it, it's a rebuild. However, let's see what we have in these pieces up for bid. I think it's good to start off with somebody with Gay's skill. Even with his salary, we can still afford a guy like CP3 to come with him. (I don't think CP3 would come but that's another story).

I think the $37 mill owed to Rudy Gay over then next 2 years can be better used by having cap space.

I'd rather have Al Jefferson or J.J. Hickson...........both will be free agents this off season. Hickson just turned 24 and Jefferson just turned 28.

Hickson is getting 11 rpg in only 29 mpg this year.

Jefferson is the offensive post threat our offense has missed for the last decade.

If we could JJ. Hickson for around $8 or $9 mill per or Jefferson for $12 - $14 mill per season then I wuld prefer that over paying Gay $17.5 mill next year and $19.5 mill in 2 years.

At the same time I do agree that Gay would fit better in Atlanta's up tempo system then Memphis. their pace gets bogged down with Randolf and Gasol who labor to get up and down the court.

Edited by coachx
  • Like 2

I think the $37 mill owed to Rudy Gay over then next 2 years can be better used by having cap space.

I'd rather have Al Jefferson or J.J. Hickson...........both will be free agents this off season. Hickson just turned 24 and Jefferson just turned 28.

Jefferson is the offensive post threat our offense has missed for the last decade.

If we could JJ. Hickson for around $8 or $9 mill per or Jefferson for $12 - $14 mill per season then I wuld prefer that over paying Gay $17.5 mill next year and $19.5 mill in 2 years.

At the same time I do agree that Gay would fit better in Atlanta's up tempo system then Memphis. their pace gets bogged down with Randolf and Gasol who labor to get up and down the court.

I'd love to get those two guys. I don't know if we can get them for the salaries you're listing, but if we could, that would be great. We still wouldn't have a small forward though. We'd have to trade Horford for a small forward probably.

Second Criticism = Cost.

excellent post...gay has a bad contract but there is only 2 years left on the contract! I say go after him we NEED a true SF....this isnt a bad signing or trade for the hawks and like what was said we still have money on the table and plenty of it.

I think the $37 mill owed to Rudy Gay over then next 2 years can be better used by having cap space. I'd rather have Al Jefferson or J.J. Hickson...........both will be free agents this off season. Hickson just turned 24 and Jefferson just turned 28.Hickson is getting 11 rpg in only 29 mpg this year.Jefferson is the offensive post threat our offense has missed for the last decade. If we could JJ. Hickson for around $8 or $9 mill per or Jefferson for $12 - $14 mill per season then I wuld prefer that over paying Gay $17.5 mill next year and $19.5 mill in 2 years. At the same time I do agree that Gay would fit better in Atlanta's up tempo system then Memphis. their pace gets bogged down with Randolf and Gasol who labor to get up and down the court.

I think coachx has a really good point. Gay might flourish here because we run waaaayyy more than Memphis ...They have to slow down because of zbo and Gasol. After reading this and thinking about it I'm starting to sway in favor of getting Gay. We can run wild with Teague and Gay. And honestly, Horford is one of the better running big men in the game along with his gator teammate Noah. If things don't work out, Gay will be off the books in 2 years so we can start fresh if we don't see him as a fit.

Ya know this Rudy Gay talk has proably been my most difficult yet dissapointing argue I have had with a sqauwker on this board so far this year!

Its flat out crazy guys!

1) People on this board really thinks that smith is a better shooter than gay!......REALLY?!.....its like some of you are going by a video game or something! you know for 9 years now that smith cant shoot good and you also know that Gay is the better shooter hands down! not to mention that gay is the better offense player between the two period!

2) People on this board is worried about a contract that wont really hurt us! If we did trade for gay we still have the cap to get cp3 and D12, that is if they actually leave their team.

Then also looking at the contract situation its not a BIG deal when we are getting a top 10 SF and the HUGE contract comes off in 2 years!

WTF squawkers most of you know that this team needs a true SF...Rudy Gay is that

most of you know that Rudy HUGE contract comes off the books in 2 years and you know his contract wont hurt us

most of you know rudy is a for sure top 10 SF

most of you know he is only 26 when his contract ends he will be 28

most of you know when his contract end there is no way in hell he gets another contract like that from any team

I really dont understand why more hawk fans dont want Gay and whats more confusing is that Ferry has yet to pull the trigger and acquire this young man!...This is flat out crazy! Come on Ferry!

• Premium Member

The thing is that if we went out and got Gay, we could still afford a guy like Hickson or Jefferson.

• Premium Member

Ya know this Rudy Gay talk has proably been my most difficult yet dissapointing argue I have had with a sqauwker on this board so far this year!

Its flat out crazy guys!

1) People on this board really thinks that smith is a better shooter than gay!......REALLY?!.....its like some of you are going by a video game or something! you know for 9 years now that smith cant shoot good and you also know that Gay is the better shooter hands down! not to mention that gay is the better offense player between the two period!

2) People on this board is worried about a contract that wont really hurt us! If we did trade for gay we still have the cap to get cp3 and D12, that is if they actually leave their team.

Then also looking at the contract situation its not a BIG deal when we are getting a top 10 SF and the HUGE contract comes off in 2 years!

WTF squawkers most of you know that this team needs a true SF...Rudy Gay is that

most of you know that Rudy HUGE contract comes off the books in 2 years and you know his contract wont hurt us

most of you know rudy is a for sure top 10 SF

most of you know he is only 26 when his contract ends he will be 28

most of you know when his contract end there is no way in hell he gets another contract like that from any team

I really dont understand why more hawk fans dont want Gay and whats more confusing is that Ferry has yet to pull the trigger and acquire this young man!...This is flat out crazy! Come on Ferry!

Even though, I'm in total agreement, I don't think it's quite the no brainer.

A lot of the Gay talk is based upon us keeping LD or getting a coach with a similar offensive approach. That means that we would honestly have to look at this team and say that our failings are not in any way related to how LD coaches. That being said, Gay is liable to become the man in LD's system. We have never really had a slasher. We have all wanted Josh to be a slasher like Shawn Kemp but that's not his game. A slasher with our shooters would punish defenses. That was part of the reason Joe was a 6 time allstar. He wasn't quite the slasher that Gay could be.

Gay would be a better fit than Smith, we would be much better balanced.

An improving PG, an scoring SF and a good PF, A PG a scorer on the wing a someone to play inside. About his contract is only 2 years more, we will have 1 year and a half from him and then he would be expiring contract with much trade value. Also I think we could also get Tony Wroten from Memphis if we send them Smith, he would also be a great asset here.