• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Did Marvin Do Anything?

benhillboy

Diesel, Wretch, Walter, AHF, myself, Ex, and several others called this one. It's like that Gatorade commercial years ago; 'is it in you?' With Marvin, the answer was and is still clearly no.You see guys like Josh with nowhere near the basketball skillset as Marvin has but who would you count on to leave it on the court night in and night out? Mind you that while he wasn't of the Koncak level in terms of being a scrub, he wasn't that far behind. We could've put any number of guys in his spot and not missed a beat; that fact is becoming painfully clear as the season goes on.To this very day, I cram to understand what BK was thinking when he looked at his body of work in college, his body type for that matter, and thought that he would be a superstar. As I've stated a million times concerning him, with a pick so high, you had better come home with a franchise player. Marvin was, and never will be that guy.If any competent guy was in charge of our draft, CP3 or Williams would be our main attraction. Either one of them would've gotten us on Sportscenter every night. Either one would've been our representative in the Summer Olympics. Either one would've been one of the main reasons why Dwight Howard would've all but begged to come back home. Instead of several years of watching good basketball, we could've been witness to greatness on our court 41+ times a year. But alas...

Edited by Dejay

Diesel, Wretch, Walter, AHF, myself, Ex, and several others called this one. It's like that Gatorade commercial years ago; 'is it in you?' With Marvin, the answer was and is still clearly no.You see guys like Josh with nowhere near the basketball skillset as Marvin has but who would you count on to leave it on the court night in and night out? Mind you that while he wasn't of the Koncak level in terms of being a scrub, he wasn't that far behind. We could've put any number of guys in his spot and not missed a beat; that fact is becoming painfully clear as the season goes on.To this very day, I cram to understand what BK was thinking when he looked at his body of work in college, his body type for that matter, and thought that he would be a superstar. As I've stated a million times concerning him, with a pick so high, you had better come home with a franchise player. Marvin was, and never will be that guy.If any competent guy was in charge of our draft, CP3 or Williams would be our main attraction. Either one of them would've gotten us on Sportscenter every night. Either one would've been our representative in the Summer Olympics. Either one would've been one of the main reasons why Dwight Howard would've all but begged to come back home. Instead of several years of watching good basketball, we could've been witness to greatness on our court 41+ times a year. But alas...

ill never understand either especially when we drafted not one, not two, but THREE SMALL FORWARDS the year before with Josh Childress, Josh Smith, and Donta Smith in the 2nd round. AND we still had Al Harrington. Our Pg's were guys like Royal Ivey and Tyronne Lue smh. I was a kid screaming for Chris Paul that year smh

and the thing is I watched plenty of college hoops that year. Never noticed Marvin. It was Rashad McCants on SI covers and Sean May and Ray Felton making all the plays on that NC team. I remember them playing Illinois in the National Championship with their 3 headed monster at guard with Dee Brown, Deron Williams (obviously the better pro skillset) and Luther Head. Never looked twice at Marvin

Edited by Cwell

James Worthy with a jump shot; yeah, right.I still remember Vitale going nuts over the Marvin pick when Williams, CP3, and even Felton were still sitting in the green room available. Makes you wonder where this team would've been had a competent guy been running the show when this team had lottery picks to burn. With guys like Paul and Deng riding shotgun with Smith, you really think that they would've gotten embarrassed the way they did to Orlando a few years ago? You think Dwight wouldn't be all but publicly announcing his desire to return home? And I guarantee that there would've been no Chic-Fil-A giveaway nights when Kobe, NYC, or Team Voltron weren't in town because they would sell out every night.Makes you really wonder about thus star-crossed franchise. Makes you really wonder...

Edited by Dejay

James Worthy with a jump shot; yeah, right. I still remember Vitale going nuts over the Marvin pick when Williams, CP3, and even Felton were still sitting in the green room available. Makes you wonder where this team would've been had a competent guy been running the show when this team had lottery picks to burn. With guys like Paul and Deng riding shotgun with Smith, you really think that they would've gotten embarrassed the way they did to Orlando a few years ago? You think Dwight wouldn't be all but publicly announcing his desire to return home? And I guarantee that there would've been no Chic-Fil-A giveaway nights when Kobe, NYC, or Team Voltron weren't in town because they would sell out every night. Makes you really wonder about thus star-crossed franchise. Makes you really wonder...

Comments of Vitale you mentioned starts at 2:40. The whole video is very depressing to watch though.

LOL @ Jay Bilas. He was completely wrong about Josh Smith. Then he was completely wrong about Marvin.

Vitale cited the right thing, with our roster duplication ( which also included Boris Diaw at the time ). With all of those forwards, Chris Paul should've been the choice.

Even Stuart Scott asked the right question, when he asked Marvin how would he transform his game to be a 22 point - 10 rebound a game type player, after deferring to others in college.

When you consider that later that summer the Hawks traded for JJ, it is disappointing what could've been for this team.

PG - Paul

G - Johnson

F - Smith

PF - Harrington

C - Zaza

The other thing about that draft, is that we picked the wrong backup PG in that 2nd round, when we chose Salim over the young high school kid Monta Ellis. I was praying that Nate Robinson would fall to us at that 31st pick. Had we'd taken Paul, we may have went with a big in the 2nd round. Maybe Brandon Bass?

Bench

G - Lue

F - Childress

F - Bass

G - Ivey

C - Batista

Funny thing is that in the 2006 draft, if we were still a lottery team, we probably still take Shelden Williams, because that was obviously our biggest need as a team back then. And we don't even have a 1st round pick in 2008, without getting extremely lucky. So that means no Al Horford.

Still . . a trio of Paul - JJ - Smith would've been fun to watch for a while.

Edited by northcyde

LOL @ Jay Bilas. He was completely wrong about Josh Smith. Then he was completely wrong about Marvin.

Vitale cited the right thing, with our roster duplication ( which also included Boris Diaw at the time ). With all of those forwards, Chris Paul should've been the choice.

Even Stuart Scott asked the right question, when he asked Marvin how would he transform his game to be a 22 point - 10 rebound a game type player, after deferring to others in college.

When you consider that later that summer the Hawks traded for JJ, it is disappointing what could've been for this team.

PG - Paul

G - Johnson

F - Smith

PF - Harrington

C - Zaza

The other thing about that draft, is that we picked the wrong backup PG in that 2nd round, when we chose Salim over the young high school kid Monta Ellis. I was praying that Nate Robinson would fall to us at that 31st pick. Had we'd taken Paul, we may have went with a big in the 2nd round. Maybe Brandon Bass?

Bench

G - Lue

F - Childress

F - Bass

G - Ivey

C - Batista

Funny thing is that in the 2006 draft, if we were still a lottery team, we probably still take Shelden Williams, because that was obviously our biggest need as a team back then. And we don't even have a 1st round pick in 2008, without getting extremely lucky. So that means no Al Horford.

Still . . a trio of Paul - JJ - Smith would've been fun to watch for a while.

Exactly. The drafting (or lack thereof) of Billy Knight is one of the chief reasons why our team has so little to show for those 50+ loss seasons. Who cares about making the playoffs umpteen years in a row when everyone in town knows that you have NO SHOT WHATSOEVER of sniffing the conference finals, let alone winning the world title.

That's why this topic is so beaten to death whenever it comes up. Guys like Chris Paul and Deron Williams are what brings other free agents of worth into your town who think that they are that proverbial 'missing piece' needed to play games in June. Those are the guys who make the phone calls to REAL players to sign up and be a part of something special. Instead of having to count on the likes of Anthony Tolliver to come through, Luol Deng, Rudy Gay, or Paul Milsap (certainly not Mr. Candice Parker if I made the call) would've been here riding shotgun alongside Smith. Instead of spending ungodly sums of draft picks, trades, and free agent $$$ (remember Speedy Claxton) to find a point guard who could actually PLAY, our PG of yesterday, today, and tomorrow would already be in Hawk gear. JJ wouldn't have had nearly the leverage to command a cap-killing max contract if we had viable guys to replace him like Monta Ellis coming off the bench. We wouldn't be getting blitzed from taking shots every effin' time Smith decided to go coast to coast with the ball, only to throw it into Section 106 or take ill-advised jumpers with time still left on the shotclock; one glance from CP3 or Deron would've killed off those ideas years ago. And most importantly, we would've been more viable as a name-brand franchise if we had those kind of players on our team already instead of having to hope/wish/pray/dream that one of them would take the Notorious A.S.G.'s $$$ this summer. The Summer Olympics and World Championships would've had Team USA in them, with OUR guy as one of the feature attractions. Those Sunday afternoon games on ABC would be featuring OUR TEAM instead of the Clippers. Magic, Wilbon, Simmons, and Jalen Rose would be talking about OUR team being one of usual suspects in terms of being chief contenders for the Finals. Folks on ESPN, NBATV, and TNT would be mentioning OUR team being the frontrunners for (insert star free agent here) despite the cap situation because they'd take less to play for a contender.

That's the part that burns me up the most in terms of the Billy Knight error (spelled correctly). He blew not just one, not two, but FOUR LOTTERY PICKS in his tenure, all while claiming to be the 'foremost expert' in town....

Edited by Dejay

• Moderators

I can't take credit for calling things early on Marvin. He disappointed me but I had hope he would progress into a good player over his rookie contract when he was improving every season and adding some range to his shot to spread the floor. After his rookie deal, he regressed instead of progressed and that was all she wrote. Marvin is definitely a case study for the mental side of the game. Josh has issues with the mental part of the game but his willingness to assert himself means that he ends up actually being the better player mentally relative to Marvin. Strange but true.

• Like 1

Ole Duck is having career lows on all major categories with the Jazz. "Give him a structured offense and he'll flourish. He's better than Josh, wait until he's on a better team".

Al, Josh, and Jeff have some dawg in them. They'll battle if you confront them directly but Duck doesn't have that gene. With that, I'll still have him rather than Devin if both contracts were the same.

• Moderators

Ole Duck is having career lows on all major categories with the Jazz. "Give him a structured offense and he'll flourish. He's better than Josh, wait until he's on a better team".

Al, Josh, and Jeff have some dawg in them. They'll battle if you confront them directly but Duck doesn't have that gene. With that, I'll still have him rather than Devin if both contracts were the same.

I"d much rather have Devin other than the injuries. He changes the game when he's playing.

• Like 1