• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Josh Needs to Improve his game over the Offseason if We Give Him the Max

Jbrinson

I would like to keep Josh but only if he takes true measures to get his game to his max potential. Josh has gotten better over his career but his game is really been the same since his rookie year. He's been getting by on pure athleticism and a jump shot that isn't one to count on. For Josh to truly be great he needs to hit the weight room. Josh's body hasn't changed much from the time he's left high school. If you take a look at all the the great players in the league except KD, they make bulked up during their career. Lebron was isn't no where near the thin guy he was coming out of high school. After Josh has gained more strength, He should work hard on his post game. Josh should go work out with Hakeem Olajuwon immediately. Josh shouldn't be on the wing as a shooter ever unless he changes his form and consistently make jumpers. If not, he should be in the post exclusively. If Josh develops his post game he could raise his ppg easily. He could possible average 25 and he would in no way miss the all star games with that type of scoring. Josh just needs to get committed.

Well to be honest - Josh HAS improved his game ALOT over the years since his rookie year when he could only dunk uncontested and block shots. He has made great strides to get to where he is in the hierarchy of the NBA.

At this point though, I think he has hit his ceiling as far as his natural skillset goes. The only improvement I can see possible (offensively that is) is improving his free throws and improve his shot selection a bit. Maybe be smarter with his passing, but I don't know, I hate the turnovers but I love the assists.

As far as the whole "max contract" thing - I think it was a stupid question by the media and Josh wasn't savvy enough to just sidestep it. He probably said what he figured his agent wanted him to say...then it got blown out of proportion.

Josh's value will be determined by the market and he will make a very healthy chunk of change with his next contract. More important than the actual number is whether or not Josh is smart with his money. If he plays it smart he will be set for life. If he spends like a fool it won't matter how much he gets - he'll end up broke.

Even if Josh plays within his limitations and plays like a defensive juggernaut version of Marion that can pass the rock, IMO he's still not quite worth a max contract in the grand scheme of things because of his offensive limitations.

Edited by TheFuzz

Or, or, or we could NOT give him the max regardless of what he does and either re-sign him if he is willing to accept a Horford-like contract annually or walk.

Josh has been with us 9 years and won't get much better without drastically improved shot selection and coachability. And without a maturity change and strong coach, he ain't worth anything near 16-17+ mil a year.

Could it be possible that Josh is actually trying to improve his game. It's obvious that the with jumpshots he's taking, he may actually be trying to grow as a player. Not that I'm ecstatic about that or anything, but if he really wants to become a jumpshooter then he needs to work on it a lot more. That may also be why LD doesn't take him out when he takes those shots. The league average for 3 pointers is .358% so he's not to far off at .348%, just saying.I also don't think Josh will get a max contract under this new CBA. With the repeater tax penalties a team will be less willing to overpay for a player. Especially one who has never made an all-star game.

Could it be possible that Josh is actually trying to improve his game. It's obvious that the with jumpshots he's taking, he may actually be trying to grow as a player. Not that I'm ecstatic about that or anything, but if he really wants to become a jumpshooter then he needs to work on it a lot more. That may also be why LD doesn't take him out when he takes those shots. The league average for 3 pointers is .358% so he's not to far off at .348%, just saying.I also don't think Josh will get a max contract under this new CBA. With the repeater tax penalties a team will be less willing to overpay for a player. Especially one who has never made an all-star game.

he will never even be an average shooter no matter how much he practices. he should realize that by now. He never had the shooting touch and never will.

If he is really trying to improve his game he can significantly improve his game simply by being playing bit smarter, playing more under control and playing in the paint more. That doesnt take hours of practice to do. He can do that immediately. He obviously hasnt been doing that so I dont think he is.

• Like 1

I agree with you on the point that he would be a much bigger contributor on this team if he would learn how to work around the paint, but that's not where he sees himself growing a player. To be honest, on a team full of jump shooters you would think that going to the paint would be the logical move for him but that's why he's Josh. I'm fine if he when he takes those 3 pointers but those long 2s should be restricted to Horford only. Sorry I'm not relying properly, I'm on a phone and have no idea how to reply directly to a comment.

• Premium Member

Do u guys realize that once his athleticism erodes he will be beyond Awful!!! He has no fundamentals to fall back on. HE will only get worse Get him the hell outta here

His avid fans don't, but Ferry does. Ferry will not overpay to keep him.

I agree with you on the point that he would be a much bigger contributor on this team if he would learn how to work around the paint, but that's not where he sees himself growing a player. To be honest, on a team full of jump shooters you would think that going to the paint would be the logical move for him but that's why he's Josh. I'm fine if he when he takes those 3 pointers but those long 2s should be restricted to Horford only. Sorry I'm not relying properly, I'm on a phone and have no idea how to reply directly to a comment.

Touch the post that you want to reply to and you'll see the quote button appear. Just hit that button to reply to someone.

Do u guys realize that once his athleticism erodes he will be beyond Awful!!! He has no fundamentals to fall back on. HE will only get worse Get him the hell outta here

It's not going to erode on this next contract. That's a concern for the contract after this next one.