• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Can't believe the Falcons released Clabo

Admin

Man if they dropped him over some BS like that then that's pretty messed up! Only semi logical reasoning I've heard do far was so Matty could get a big dollar extension but to drop the best RT in the league to sign him creates a big hole.

He was actually he number 5 ranked RT but anywho, Andre smith is a free agent and isn't getting a lot of attention and could be had for the same price and would be a long term solution there. Or they could just be a lot higher on some of the younger guys on the team like Holmes. I trust TD so I'm sure he didn't just cut him without having a plan to replace him so holding out judgment until its all said and done.

Lamar Holmes, big bad ass. Oh and he is on a rookie contract. Clabo had some serious money coming due this season and next.

Well I hope that doesn't end up being a mistake as outside of Clabo the Falcons line was pretty pedestrian last year. I'm thrilled that he was cut though as he provides the Dolphins with a lot of leverage to use on Eric Winston or maybe to even sign Clabo. Was he a TD find? I know I read that he was an undrafted player and if he was then man you guys really made out like bandits getting TD instead of that turd Parcells years ago.

He was actually he number 5 ranked RT but anywho, Andre smith is a free agent and isn't getting a lot of attention and could be had for the same price and would be a long term solution there. Or they could just be a lot higher on some of the younger guys on the team like Holmes. I trust TD so I'm sure he didn't just cut him without having a plan to replace him so holding out judgment until its all said and done.

I thought he was #1? I don't have a premium membership to that site so I was just going off of what someone else posted. What scheme do the Falcons run, is it a zone blocking scheme or a power run scheme?

Clabo originally signed with Denver as an undrafted rookie free agent. Waived by the Broncos, he then signed with the New York Giants as a practice squad member. Clabo eventually was signed to the Falcons practice squad in September 2005 and re-signed by the Falcons team in January 2006.

Man if they dropped him over some BS like that then that's pretty messed up! Only semi logical reasoning I've heard do far was so Matty could get a big dollar extension but to drop the best RT in the league to sign him creates a big hole.

His strength is run blocking..........now Atlanta is a pass first team. Clabo pass protection is average.

Now maybe Atlanta can afford to add a veteran pass rusher like Abraham, or teran CB, or a 3-4 DE like Seymore.

We also need cap room to sign 11 draft picks.

• Moderators

You can bet big money it wasn't over his Union role but the combination of age, salary, performance and younger alternatives.

Definitely wish him the best.

• Like 1

Clabo is a class act as was very involved in the community.

I have seen him at several live autions to benefit charities where one of the bidding items was a BBQ / Grill Out with 2 or 3 Falcons players. Clabo was always 1 of the 2 or 3 Falcons and would actually show up to the charity events to promote high bids for the BBQ. It would normally go for $3K or $4K to a charity. I believe one was for the "The Tree House." They are a non profit that helps DEFACs with abused children.

I also wish him well.

According to the Falcons beat writer they only had $2.9 mill remaining in cap space prior to cutting Clabo. That isn't even enough to sign the 11 draft picks with. Now Dimitroff has $7.4 mill to play with. Hopefully he can find some bargain veterans like Seymore or Abraham to come in on the cheap.

I thought he was #1? I don't have a premium membership to that site so I was just going off of what someone else posted. What scheme do the Falcons run, is it a zone blocking scheme or a power run scheme?

Power...like most have said he was good with the run but pedestrian with the pass. They definitely see Holmes being able to take over that spot and he's only costing about 480k right now. Frees up more money for the draft and gives room to bring in another free agent or 2. The line will be fine with Konz and Holmes stepping in, not really worried about the move.

• Moderators

If you go back and look at Matty's 28 sacks from this pass season, the guy that got him was the DE/DT from the right side about 60% of the time. Clabo hasn't been the same ever since TD let Dahl walk to St. Louis. With that said too, RG has been a BIG issue for the Falcons since Dahl left and you can't fault Clabo for that. Letting Dahl walk to me has been TD's biggest mistake. Should have kept Dahl over Blalock.

Power...like most have said he was good with the run but pedestrian with the pass. They definitely see Holmes being able to take over that spot and he's only costing about 480k right now. Frees up more money for the draft and gives room to bring in another free agent or 2. The line will be fine with Konz and Holmes stepping in, not really worried about the move.

From what I have heard Clabo is pretty nasty pulling and blocking for screens but pass blocking was an issue, especially in one game where he got abused by 1 player who I can't remember the name of but I'm sure you guys know who it was.

I think I read that the Falcons Oline was ranked somewhere around 16th so whomever moves into the starting lineup is going to need to play at a high level to keep that from dropping, but I can definitely see where taking a chance on a cheaper and younger player is worth the risk.

From what I have heard Clabo is pretty nasty pulling and blocking for screens but pass blocking was an issue, especially in one game where he got abused by 1 player who I can't remember the name of but I'm sure you guys know who it was.

I think I read that the Falcons Oline was ranked somewhere around 16th so whomever moves into the starting lineup is going to need to play at a high level to keep that from dropping, but I can definitely see where taking a chance on a cheaper and younger player is worth the risk.

Clay Matthews Clabo abused him and Raji abused our McClure. Both are now gone. That was not the only team but that one team sticks out. Ryan's pocket presence and release are fast enough to get rid of the ball and avoid alot of sacks where 90% of QBs would go down with the ball still in their hands.

We were forced to double team Raji b/c McClure could not handle his size. Clabo could not even get a hand Matthew's pash rush. He always has trouble in pass protection vs. a 3-4 where the pass rusher is a quicker OLB and lines up a few feet furter outside. He has no problem in the run blocking. Now that Atlanta is a pass 1st team, rather then power run 1st team, Clabo is just not the best fit.

Clay Matthews Clabo abused him and Raji abused our McClure. Both are now gone. That was not the only team but that one team sticks out. Ryan's pocket presence and release are fast enough to get rid of the ball and avoid alot of sacks where 90% of QBs would go down with the ball still in their hands.

We were forced to double team Raji b/c McClure could not handle his size. Clabo could not even get a hand Matthew's pash rush. He always has trouble in pass protection vs. a 3-4 where the pass rusher is a quicker OLB and lines up a few feet furter outside. He has no problem in the run blocking. Now that Atlanta is a pass 1st team, rather then power run 1st team, Clabo is just not the best fit.

I had to go back and find that article that mentioned it but it was actually the Panthers game and Charles Johnson, who had 3.5 sacks that game, but the Falcons won 30-28. There's a Falcons (his 2nd team) fan who's an actual NFL scout on my Dolphins forums and he said that game it seemed like Johnson had about 7 sacks. Do you remember that game?

Yeah that Carolina game we gave up 7 sacks I believe. That was clabos worst game easily. Greg hardy and Charles Johnson ate us alive that game. 7 sacks just between those 2 players. It was ugly.

Edited by jy23