• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Where does Jeff Teague rank in your own opinion?

Hawkfan89

• Premium Member

I don't watch enough of the elite PG's in the league to make an in-depth assessment, but taking a step back and looking at the field as a whole, I can say he's not top 10. I think the list AHF put up is a very accurate assessment. In terms of playmaking, he's nowhere close to CP3 or Deron and he's not the scorer that Rose or Westbrook is.

But he's not terrible and he's a capable starter. His ceiling might be the upper middle of that 2nd tier. What people need to realize about Teague, and I've been saying this forever, but people need to stop worrying about his playmaking so much. The guy is a scorer, plain and simple, and he has decent enough passing skills. He's nowhere near ineffective in either regard, and certainly not to the point that you talk about replacing him.

You see the names above him on AHF's list. That's who you replace him with IF you get the chance. Otherwise, you retain him, set him free to play to his strengths, and you focus on the holes in the lineup that actually do need attention (alpha scorer, OG/SF, C).

I'll also say that LD's Motion OffenseTM, in combination with the way that Josh plays away from his strengths, limits Teague's effectiveness. Teague is a player that will find a home in the right system and you will see him shine like Jason Terry.

• Premium Member

Never liked players that have to be reminded to give maximum effort. The only times Teague plays to his potential is after LD gets into his butt for playing lazy.

Edited by NineOhTheRino

I don't watch enough of the elite PG's in the league to make an in-depth assessment, but taking a step back and looking at the field as a whole, I can say he's not top 10. I think the list AHF put up is a very accurate assessment. In terms of playmaking, he's nowhere close to CP3 or Deron and he's not the scorer that Rose or Westbrook is.

But he's not terrible and he's a capable starter. His ceiling might be the upper middle of that 2nd tier. What people need to realize about Teague, and I've been saying this forever, but people need to stop worrying about his playmaking so much. The guy is a scorer, plain and simple, and he has decent enough passing skills. He's nowhere near ineffective in either regard, and certainly not to the point that you talk about replacing him.

You see the names above him on AHF's list. That's who you replace him with IF you get the chance. Otherwise, you retain him, set him free to play to his strengths, and you focus on the holes in the lineup that actually do need attention (alpha scorer, OG/SF, C).

I'll also say that LD's Motion OffenseTM, in combination with the way that Josh plays away from his strengths, limits Teague's effectiveness. Teague is a player that will find a home in the right system and you will see him shine like Jason Terry.

Very well put.

Never liked players that have to be reminded to give maximum effort. The only times Teague plays to his potential is after LD gets into his butt for playing lazy.

I get you but lazy is ths wrong word for Teague...the I'm afraid title fits Teague better to me. I just never really thought his play was lazy. He's passive, shy, laid back type when he's on the court until he gets a fire lite under him.Sometimes it feels like its LD fault but I'm not sure we can blame LD completely for this one but a new coach might help.

Some of things you guys are saying makes no sense to me. Teague has all the skills he need to be a top 10 pg offensively and defensively. What he lacks is the confidence and will to do these things.You guys can't bash Teague on his skill set, he clearly has the skills.This guy is too laid back for the skills he's been blessed with. But bashing him saying he can't defend, he don't have playmaking skills, etc., etc. is way out of line.If Teague was naturally aggressive like a Nate Robinson everybody would then love him. For the record Teague has shown plenty of playmaking ability plays, he has also shown plenty of good defense over his short career as well. Go back and watch some hawks game footage. You will see that Teagues game is being hurt by his lack of aggressiveness, no confidence, shyness, and natural laid back attitude.By the way I know rose us laid back but he's aggressive on the floor.

His lack of aggressiveness and confidence are the reasons why he won't progress to be a top 10 PG. The difference between he and Mike Conley is light years these days.

Teague needs to get stronger in the off-season to fight through screens and absorb contact going to the rim.

He should also give Gary Payton a call to help him with defense.

Teague needs to get stronger in the off-season to fight through screens and absorb contact going to the rim.He should also give Gary Payton a call to help him with defense.

Fighting through screens isn't about strength, it's about wanting to. Teague's never shown an interest in being a decent defensive player.
  • Like 1

The thing that bugs me about Teague is his unwillingness to shoot the ball when he has an open shot. He's a point guard. He should embrace the shooting opportunities and take them. I'd MUCH rather see Teague take the shot than Josh Smith. It always seems like Teague is looking to pass first, and then shoot. Like everyone else has said, he needs to become more aggressive. We saw how aggressive he could get in the 7 game series against Boston. We need THAT Teague to show up. He also could use some practice on defense. He has flashes of great defense, but then he will just get so involved in trapping a guy that he leaves his man wide open on the wing for an easy 3.

• Premium Member

Curry isn't a PG? He averages almost 10 assists in the playoffs...not to mention 25 points. Honestly, would you really take Jeff Teague over Curry???? It's not even close.

Hell, I would take Lebron over Jeff Teague too. And I would still need a PG.

• Premium Member

The thing that bugs me about Teague is his unwillingness to shoot the ball when he has an open shot. He's a point guard. He should embrace the shooting opportunities and take them. I'd MUCH rather see Teague take the shot than Josh Smith. It always seems like Teague is looking to pass first, and then shoot. Like everyone else has said, he needs to become more aggressive. We saw how aggressive he could get in the 7 game series against Boston. We need THAT Teague to show up. He also could use some practice on defense. He has flashes of great defense, but then he will just get so involved in trapping a guy that he leaves his man wide open on the wing for an easy 3.

I think that has more to do with Josh than Teague. Since he got here, Josh has always put pressure on our PGs. From Lue to Bibby to Teague. Last year with Joe, Teague averaged about 5 apg. Mainly because Joe handled the ball a lot. However, this year, he's up to over 7 apg. That's pretty big when you consider the scoring options change a lot. If we keep Teague, when Smoove goes, I believe Teague will get up to 9 apg if we get competent scoring and coaching. To the coaching question, I would love to see a coach like Monty or Doc to come here but if we were to get one of those guys, I would want CP3 or Rondo.

• Like 2

I think that has more to do with Josh than Teague. Since he got here, Josh has always put pressure on our PGs. From Lue to Bibby to Teague. Last year with Joe, Teague averaged about 5 apg. Mainly because Joe handled the ball a lot. However, this year, he's up to over 7 apg. That's pretty big when you consider the scoring options change a lot. If we keep Teague, when Smoove goes, I believe Teague will get up to 9 apg if we get competent scoring and coaching. To the coaching question, I would love to see a coach like Monty or Doc to come here but if we were to get one of those guys, I would want CP3 or Rondo.

Blaming Josh for Teagues struggles is just as weak as blaming coaches for Josh Smith's shot selection.

• Premium Member

I'm going to say ^^this too.

Josh is alpha. In that role, he is going to have the ball in his hand a lot. He holds onto the ball in the halfcourt when he's "thinking" about if he can make the shot or not and his issues with the PG on the break are well documented. I don't want to say "blame" is the right word. It's less about Josh Smith being the blame for Teague's deferring on offense and more about Teague stepping back while Josh does his thing.

More on LD's system...

Teague excels at taking off and getting to the basket. The Motion OffenseTM is not especially conducive to a player who's strength revolves around iso/off the dribble. Great for spot up shooters and people who think they can shoot. Not so great for ball-dominant types. Teague needs to be able to attack at will and both Josh Smith and LD's system are keeping him in check.

I do see some frustration and head-hanging going on, but I don't think his problems (offensively) have anything to do with effort, energy, or assertiveness. I just don't see that kind of player. Moreover, as I said earlier, he's not a scrub. He's certainly not the guy you try to lean on, but if we had that kind of player...then we would see a much different Jeff Teague. He's worth hanging onto.

• Like 1