• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks trying for Stan Van Gundy!

Brotha2ThaNite

This is from the interview with Dwight's dad in AJC:

“The problem is the coach. (D’Antoni) needs to step in and say, ‘You guys have got to be quiet. We’re trying to secure something here. Dwight is probably looking at the coach, thinking, ‘What are you going to do?’ I promise, if that had been Stan Van Gundy, that wouldn’t have happened. (Howard) wouldn’t have been admonished publicly. I think the coach has a lot to do with who controls Kobe’s mouth right now.”

Of course this is his dad, not himself but I believe his experience in LA made him appreciate SVG.

Anyway, I am hyped!

• Premium Member

Interesting read.

Ferry is a genius. He orchestrated it all..

Howard and Van Gundy have been texting on and off all season, and Howard said his relationship with the man who coached him for five seasons in Orlando has not been affected by the fact Van Gundy was fired by the Magic last season in what many viewed as an attempt to appease Howard.

"Me and Stan have a pretty good relationship," Howard said. "We respect each other and we continue to talk to this day. We've kept the business side out of everything that we discuss and he understands how I feel."

Howard first revealed his continued dialogue last month before the Lakers played the Miami Heat.

"We've talked a lot this season," Howard said. "He's been one of my biggest supporters, always telling me to keep playing. He knows that I'm not 100 percent, but just keep working. He knows how hard I work. He's been upset with a lot of stuff that's been said, but he just tells me to stay strong and stay with it.

How do I know Ferry orchastrated all this.

Fired coach reaching out to support the guy that got him fired... then talks with team with Most FA money to offer to same guy....

You know what we call that???

http://www.hiphopsite.com/http://www.hiphopsite.com//2013/05/063-300x225.jpg]

• Like 1

This reeks of Byron Scott taking the Cavs job before the team ultimately got spurned by Lebron James. In respect to luring Howard here by hiring SVG Surely Ferry has a better plan than throwing some shjt against the wall and hoping it sticks.

Whether they get Dwight Howard or not, hiring Stan Van Gundy would be a coup for the Hawks. The guy has won something like 66% of the games he has coached in his career. He understands the aspects of the game that wins games such as eFG%, FTA/FGA, ORB%, and TO% both offensively and defensively. His offenses in Orlando never rated below 6th in the NBA in eFG%, and that's because he trained his players to not take bad shots (i.e. long two pointers) and to try to create good shots. He is a coach that embraces the use of analytical data to help him make decisions.

If you have an hour to kill, here is a link where Stan Van Gundy was on a panel at the Sloan Sports Conference, the biggest analytics conference out there.

http://www.sloansportsconference.com/?p=9994

• Like 1

As much as I would like to see us get Dwight, I don't think SVG will do that.

However, I think he's a good coach.

That sad part is that with Dwight... SVG was outcoached by LD. set up for failure by Otis Smith

Fixed

Whether they get Dwight Howard or not, hiring Stan Van Gundy would be a coup for the Hawks. The guy has won something like 66% of the games he has coached in his career. He understands the aspects of the game that wins games such as eFG%, FTA/FGA, ORB%, and TO% both offensively and defensively. His offenses in Orlando never rated below 6th in the NBA in eFG%, and that's because he trained his players to not take bad shots (i.e. long two pointers) and to try to create good shots. He is a coach that embraces the use of analytical data to help him make decisions.

If you have an hour to kill, here is a link where Stan Van Gundy was on a panel at the Sloan Sports Conference, the biggest analytics conference out there.

http://www.sloansportsconference.com/?p=9994

Good to see you're still following the team KB!

If we hire SVG I wonder what the A$G haters (plural) will have to say? And I'm sure this will be HF's wet dream hiring a coach and a GM who both believe so heavily in advanced analytics.

As far as SVG being a lure for Dwight, I think I can actually see what Danny Ferry’s angle is here. Dwight’s public image took a huge hit after what happened in Orlando, and coming back to play under SVG in Atlanta would be Dwight’s golden opportunity to atone and redeem himself. Combine that with the whole “hometown hero” narrative, and Dwight would suddenly become the NBA’s biggest media darling again, just like he used to be in the good old days.

I’m probably just reading way too much into this, but I wouldn’t be surprised if Ferry knows something we don’t. If he’s got information that would make this a legit strategy, it’d be an absolutely brilliant move.

• Like 2

Stan is intelligent and a disciplinarian. I'd love him here. Keep the clown in LA. Those LA fans really love winning 0 playoff games behind him. I've never seen a rebounder as dominant have as little impact on winning.

Edited by benhillboy

Stan is intelligent and a disciplinarian. I'd love him here. Keep the clown in LA. Those LA fans really love winning 0 playoff games behind him. I've never seen a rebounder as dominant have as little impact on winning.

Dwight wasn't the reason why LA lost games. They were just old, terrible on rotations, Gasol has been a negative player for over two years, and Steve Nash couldn't put on handprint on the team at all. It was a lot of terrible fits, old age, and limited depth equaled horrible play.

I would take Dwight 10 out of 10 times over anyone on this roster right now.

As far as SVG being a lure for Dwight, I think I can actually see what Danny Ferry’s angle is here. Dwight’s public image took a huge hit after what happened in Orlando, and coming back to play under SVG in Atlanta would be Dwight’s golden opportunity to atone and redeem himself. Combine that with the whole “hometown hero” narrative, and Dwight would suddenly become the NBA’s biggest media darling again, just like he used to be in the good old days.

I’m probably just reading way too much into this, but I wouldn’t be surprised if Ferry knows something we don’t. If he’s got information that would make this a legit strategy, it’d be an absolutely brilliant move.

Oh WOW.....not being sarcastic when I say this but thats one smart ass comment you made!....No sir you are not reading too much into this....thats just what it is sometimes....Howard clearly worries about his image even if he says he doesnt but we all can tell that he wants everybody to love him again and nobody to be against him.

You are right my friend...this is a smart move by Ferry if this deal gets done. Image is very important even in sports!

Dwight wasn't the reason why LA lost games. They were just old, terrible on rotations, Gasol has been a negative player for over two years, and Steve Nash couldn't put on handprint on the team at all. It was a lot of terrible fits, old age, and limited depth equaled horrible play.

I would take Dwight 10 out of 10 times over anyone on this roster right now.

Disagree my friend Dwight proved that you cannot lean on him for scoring. He just dont have the offensive skill set to carry a team on his back...healthy or not Howard has never had post moves or any of that. Howard is known for his Defense first, followed by the defensive blocked shots, followed by his offensive dunks/offensive rebound....putbacks <----thats Howards offense (offense rebound putbacks) thats all he ever did in Orlando thats all he know now.

Disagree my friend Dwight proved that you cannot lean on him for scoring. He just dont have the offensive skill set to carry a team on his back...healthy or not Howard has never had post moves or any of that. Howard is known for his Defense first, followed by the defensive blocked shots, followed by his offensive dunks/offensive rebound....putbacks <----thats Howards offense (offense rebound putbacks) thats all he ever did in Orlando thats all he know now.

He lead a team full of role players to the NBA Finals. I am sorry what you wrote defy logic in terms of one's ability and resume. Dwight's offensive game is based around him playing smart, having solid offensive movement, usually winning his fight for positioning, a quality post game regardless if it is great or not, tip in's, put backs, and alley oops.

His defense is based off of great team defense, anchoring the defense, covering for recoverable mistakes, and being a presence in the lane, as well as being very good at defending the pick and roll. His low post man defense could use some work.

To say that what you wrote above is all he did in Orlando tells me you really didn't watch him play at all in Orlando.

• Like 1

I would like to point out that SVG may not necessarily believe "heavily" in the advanced analytics. It's pretty clear to me that he has an understanding of them though. HF has stated several times in the past that you have to know how to use the information. You can't take the information and basically make all your decisions based on that information.

In the video, Stan is talking about defense. He states that the analytics tell him that JJ Reddick is not a very good defender as a shooting guard. He says that reddick is small and not overly athletic. However, he states what the analytics do not take into account is the system. He says that while Reddick may not be a guy that can defend his position one on one well, he never misses rotations. Stan states that the analytics do not take that into account. SVG is correct on this. If you look at some of the Hawks better defensive teams in the past, they included Steve Smith at shooting guard. Steve wasn't a great individual defender, but he knew how to play team defense. He didn't miss rotations. He understood who he had around him.

There are two extremes to the analytics. Those staunch analytics guys believe that you have to make all your decisions based on the data at hand. Then, there are some of the staunch traditionalist, who think they can make decisions just fine based on what they see with their eyes. SVG appears to be in the middle, as does Danny Ferry, IMO.

One thing. I do like SVG's view on defense. He stated in the link that the top three defensive teams left are Indiana, Chicago, and Memphis. He states that the reason for this is that that do not downsize. Size is important for defense.

• Like 3

I would like to point out that SVG may not necessarily believe "heavily" in the advanced analytics. It's pretty clear to me that he has an understanding of them though. HF has stated several times in the past that you have to know how to use the information. You can't take the information and basically make all your decisions based on that information.

In the video, Stan is talking about defense. He states that the analytics tell him that JJ Reddick is not a very good defender as a shooting guard. He says that reddick is small and not overly athletic. However, he states what the analytics do not take into account is the system. He says that while Reddick may not be a guy that can defend his position one on one well, he never misses rotations. Stan states that the analytics do not take that into account. SVG is correct on this. If you look at some of the Hawks better defensive teams in the past, they included Steve Smith at shooting guard. Steve wasn't a great individual defender, but he knew how to play team defense. He didn't miss rotations. He understood who he had around him.

There are two extremes to the analytics. Those staunch analytics guys believe that you have to make all your decisions based on the data at hand. Then, there are some of the staunch traditionalist, who think they can make decisions just fine based on what they see with their eyes. SVG appears to be in the middle, as does Danny Ferry, IMO.

One thing. I do like SVG's view on defense. He stated in the link that the top three defensive teams left are Indiana, Chicago, and Memphis. He states that the reason for this is that that do not downsize. Size is important for defense.

In a truthful theoretical POV, I agree that Redick is more of a liability defensively. But if you have Dwight as we seen in Orlando. Making rotations and playing smart sound team defense is all that’s needed. That will not work to great effect in Atlanta with Josh Smith or Al Horford much less most NBA teams but it worked to a T with Orlando who had Howard.

My favorite Hawks defenders are John Jenkins and Kyle Korver. Now both are heavily limited defensively due to their lack of NBA defensive tools. Both do a great job playing team defense and understanding rotations especially Korver. Jenkins is still learning at times but his ability to read the lanes are really good. Teague also does a good job with team defense but since he is a PG, pick and roll defense is vital and he struggles greatly at that. Al Horford is a very good team defender and man defender. The most complete defender on our roster. Josh Smith is the most gifted. He can defend anyone with his tools. He’s the closet defender we have to Lebron but Josh misses too many rotations and can get lazy too often.

Size is critical to team defense but you can’t just have any type of size like Petro or Collins. It has to be a quality center. The Centers are a staple to great defenses in the NBA and has always been. Look at all the great defenses but Miami. They all have a very good to great defensive center.

What the Hawks have is a large amount of team defenders on the roster. They would fit seemingly with a Howard, Bogut, Marc Gasol, and Hibbert.

This reeks of Byron Scott taking the Cavs job before the team ultimately got spurned by Lebron James.In respect to luring Howard here by hiring SVG Surely Ferry has a better plan than throwing some shjt against the wall and hoping it sticks.

What . . . you mean like bringing in the the Atlanta AAU All-Star team ( Josh, Lou, Anthony Morrow ), to possibly lure a response from Dwight about his future?

Put me in the Stan Van Gundy approval camp. I know after a loss, the excuse just won't be "effort and energy". He'll go in depth into whatever went wrong in that game. Stan could probably do wonders for a player like Horford. And a shooter like Jenkins will definitely get his chance to shine in a SVG offense.

• Like 3

Put me in the Stan Van Gundy approval camp. I know after a loss, the excuse just won't be "effort and energy". He'll go in depth into whatever went wrong in that game. Stan could probably do wonders for a player like Horford. And a shooter like Jenkins will definitely get his chance to shine in a SVG offense.

Jenkins will only be able to shine if you have someone in the post commanding a lot of attention/a double team like Howard did with the Magic.Until we have someone who commands constant double teams or until Jenkins works on his game enough to be able to be deadly off the dribble, I don't see him shining. He moves well without the ball and is lights out if he can set his feet, but until we have a better idea of what next year's roster looks like I don't think you can say Jenkins would automatically shine in an SVG offense like a Redick has or a Korver would.
  • Like 1