• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Thoughts On Nikola Pekovic?

vdunkndunk

If we can't get Howard, does anyone have any interest in Nikola Pekovic? I've never really watched him play, but he's the T-Wolves' 6'11, 27-year old free agent center, and last year he basically averaged 16 ppg and 9 rpg with a .520 fgp and a 20.26 PER.

Personally, I think he and Horford would make a solid front court - Pekovic basically duplicates Josh's rebounding and points with better offensive efficiency. Of course, he offers less shotblocking and assists, but he also has greater size and strength, would allow Horford to play PF, and he doesn't take frustrating jumpshots all the time.

Anone ever seen him play?

I think someone said the most he can be offered will be something around $13 million and honestly I think the Wolves would balk at that price. I'm not sure I'd be comfortable giving him that much but I'd probably go $12 million and not think twice about it. But yeah he's definitely my 2nd choice behind D12 and I'm just not sure if the Wolves believe they can win with a Love-Pek front court.

I think someone said the most he can be offered will be something around $13 million and honestly I think the Wolves would balk at that price. I'm not sure I'd be comfortable giving him that much but I'd probably go $12 million and not think twice about it. But yeah he's definitely my 2nd choice behind D12 and I'm just not sure if the Wolves believe they can win with a Love-Pek front court.

All rumors are they will match. He might be the hottest FA outside of the big two.

I haven't seen enough of him to evaluate. I just know he's big as hell, built solidly as far as injury projection, is very coachable, and has at least average skill in every area you'd want from a True 5. I'm with signing him to a good deal all day.

• Like 1

I've heard the opposite that they might not match a full max offer for him.

I'd be surprised if they wouldn't. The Love/Pekovic frontcourt can't defend well but it rebounds and scores with the best of them.

Pekovic is limited in a good way. He rebounds, plays solid defense in the post, and finishes inside thanks to ridiculous strength and a handful of postmoves. He also runs the floor well. He's not much of a help-defender or passer, but he plays to his strengths. Also seems to be a cool guy and is pretty hilarious to boot all things considered.

• Like 2

I'd be surprised if they wouldn't. The Love/Pekovic frontcourt can't defend well but it rebounds and scores with the best of them.

Pekovic is limited in a good way. He rebounds, plays solid defense in the post, and finishes inside thanks to ridiculous strength and a handful of postmoves. He also runs the floor well. He's not much of a help-defender or passer, but he plays to his strengths. Also seems to be a cool guy and is pretty hilarious to boot all things considered.

That's what I've heard is the reason why they'd hesitate on a big offer is that they've proven they can't defend the paint and are not sure that going forward paying both of them big money is the way to go. I think Pek fits a lot better with Horford since he's a good enough defender and sometimes a very good one.

You pretty much nailed it.

Pekovic played for my favorite team in Europe (Partizan Belgrade) and then for Panathinaikos Athens (Greece) before moving to the NBA.

He was always well coached and disciplined to play to his strenghts as you mentioned. He's also a hard worker who constantly works on his game... It took him some time to adjust to the NBA, but I had no doubts that he would have success!

I truly expect him to average 20 & 10 and dominate in the paint, plus he'll surely improve his D (he'll work on it).

Edited by T21

He has more of a impact because of the position he plays as any player we have except Horford. If we lose out on D12, I would pay him as much as is allowed and see if TWolves match.

We would still need a 3rd big time scoring option, but with Pek and Horford, we would match up well down low with the Bulls, Pacers and Heat.

I have been watching him since last year when he broke out.

He is the anti-jbrick. A very physical intimating low post banger who plays in the paint, can hit freethrows, and plays with in his skill set.

This is him destroying us earlier in the season. he ended up getting 25 and 18 against us.

• Like 2

I've heard the opposite that they might not match a full max offer for him.

Not quite sure where you are hearing that from but this is more like a Rudy Gay where he maybe overpaid but his team has no other options at the moment. To be frank, I think this is better than Rudy because this guy impacts the game at a level that James Harden does for his team on simple ratings scale. Minny would be crazy to let him walk.

Edited by Leadership

Top centers in a few stats:

True Shooting %:

1. Tyson Chandler 67.4%

2. Chris Bosh 59.3%

3. J.J. Hickson 59.1%

4. Dwight Howard 57.4%

5. Robin Lopez 57.3%

6. Nikola Pekovic 57.0%

7. Brook Lopez 56.7%

8. Al Horford 56.2%

9. Marc Gasol 55.9%

10. Omer Asik 55.8%

Total Rebounding Rate

1. Omer Asik 22.0

2. JJ Hickson 20.8

3. Nikola Vucevic 20.2

4. Dwight Howard 19.2

5. Tyson Chandler 19.1

6. DeMarcus Cousins 18.8

7. Emeka Okafor 18.7

8. Larry Sanders 18.6

9. Joakim Noah 17.4

10. Greg Monroe 16.6

11. Al Jefferson 16.4

12. Nikola Pekovic 16.1

13. Roy Hibbert 16.1

14. Al Horford 15.7

Offensive Rebounding Rate:

1. Roy Hibbert 14.8

2. Tyson Chandler 14.1

3. Nikola Pekovic 13.3

4. J.J. Hickson 13.2

5. Omer Asik 12.7

6. Robin Lopez 12.5

7. Joakim Noah 12.2

8. Nikola Vucevic 12.0

9. Larry Sanders 11.0

10. Brook Lopez 10.9

PER:

1. Brook Lopez 24.77

2. Al Jefferson 20.90

3. Nikola Pekovic 20.24

4. Chris Bosh 20.2

5. DeMarcus Cousins 20.2

6. Al Horford 19.96

7. Dwight Howard 19.79

8. J.J. Hickson 19.61

9. Marc Gasol 19.58

10. Greg Monroe 19.44

Defensive Rating:

1. Roy Hibbert 97.0

2. Marc Gasol 98.0

3. Emeka Okafor 99.0

4. Joakim Noah 99.0

5. Dwight Howard 100.0

6. DeAndre Jordan 101.0

7. Kendrick Perkins 102.0

8. Al Horford 102.0

9. Chris Bosh 103.0

10. Omer Asik 103.0

I like Pek but he does have his issues. I have two major issues with Pek; he seems injury prone and he is just a slightly above average defensive rebounder. This guy averaged around 30 minutes a game last season and only started 62 games. What happens when pay him big money and take him to 36 min a game? I notoriously watch box scores and he would vanish for weeks at a time.I'm on my cell and don't have the stats handy but his defensive rebounding rate leaves alot to be desired. He is however a very good offensive rebounder, but I value defensive rebounds more. Keep in mind that K.Love was out all season too he should of had alot more chances to rebound with 12+ rebounder a game missing.I believe Al Jefferson has a higher defensive win share number and he gets killed on this board.I like Pek at the right price, but I think he has a great chance to be over paid for his true value. He basically a rich man's Zaza. I think we should use moneyball principles and look for inefficiencies in the market. Splitter, Hickson and Dalembert will give you much more bang for your buck. Think Lou Williams signing.

• Like 2

Basically, the most bang for the buck would be to get Houston to agree to trade Omer Asik for Josh Smith in a sign and trade deal since they are the most likely team for Howard. The Hawks could then get Asik, who was the top rebounding big man as far as his rebounding rate goes and is also one of the top defensive big men in the game.

• Like 1

I like Pek but he does have his issues. I have two major issues with Pek; he seems injury prone and he is just a slightly above average defensive rebounder.This guy averaged around 30 minutes a game last season and only started 62 games. What happens when pay him big money and take him to 36 min a game? I notoriously watch box scores and he would vanish for weeks at a time.I'm on my cell and don't have the stats handy but his defensive rebounding rate leaves alot to be desired. He is however a very good offensive rebounder, but I value defensive rebounds more. Keep in mind that K.Love was out all season too he should of had alot more chances to rebound with 12+ rebounder a game missing.I believe Al Jefferson has a higher defensive win share number and he gets killed on this board.I like Pek at the right price, but I think he has a great chance to be over paid for his true value. He basically a rich man's Zaza. I think we should use moneyball principles and look for inefficiencies in the market. Splitter, Hickson and Dalembert will give you much more bang for your buck. Think Lou Williams signing.

Hickson is very bad defensively, but I think he could be a bargain pick up on the market as a 4/5 reserve player who gives you energy and efficiency off the bench.

As a starter though, he's only 6'9" tall, and I thought the goal was to get bigger in the post to allow Al to move over. If we are going to go with a 6'9" or 6'10" center, then the Hawks already have the best center in the game at that size in Al Horford.

One thing about Hickson is that Danny Ferry drafted him in Cleveland.

Oh, I also agree with the Moneyball approach, which is why I would probably pass on Dwight and his creaky back. Let him go to Houston, then steal Omer Asik and his bargain contract from the Rockets and get value for Josh Smith, who Houston is also interested in.

Edited by KB21
  • Like 1

Thanks for posting the stats Kb21. At a glance looks like we should target JJ hickson his literally in the top 10 of evey category you posted. He will be under valued because of his height but it's about production. Sign Hickson and draft Dieng to back him up against bigger centers.

• Like 1

That's what I've heard is the reason why they'd hesitate on a big offer is that they've proven they can't defend the paint and are not sure that going forward paying both of them big money is the way to go. I think Pek fits a lot better with Horford since he's a good enough defender and sometimes a very good one.

Well you have to look at a few things:

Kahn didn't value Love that highly (he wasn't his pick) and only gave him a 4 year deal instead of a 5 year deal.

Their owner Glen Taylor doesn't believe Love is a star either as he so succintly put it that he hasn't led them to the playoffs.

Love wasn't too happy about those comments or the contract but he can opt out in 2 years.

They drafted Derrick Williams, a PF, 2nd overall.

Rick Adelman is like 70 and most likely in win now mode.

The Wolves will have no means in which to replace Pekovic with a player near his caliber yet resigning him even to his max won't put them anywhere near the tax.

So this leads me to a conclusion:

you can control Pekovic, Rubio, Williams for the next 4 years and beyond

you can only control Love for 2.

Do you really want to be making such short sighted franchise decisions especially when you could always trade Pek down the line for greater value? Who knows, maybe Flip Saunders is an idiot though.