• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

AJC: The Hawks May Already Be Guilty of Tampering

PSSSHHHRRR87

• Moderators

The Hawks may have violated the NBA’s anti-tampering policy by mentioning Dwight Howard and Chris Paul by name in a recent letter sent to prospective ticket buyers.

Atlanta native Howard and Paul are scheduled to become unrestricted free agents July 1. As each are currently under contract, with the Lakers and Clippers respectively, a team is not allowed to speak about them publically.

The letter, obtained by the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, was on team letterhead and headlined “Hot New Player news: Chris Paul and Dwight Howard.” It began with the statement: “The buzz around our offseason is more than heating up. With massive cap space, 4 draft picks, and free agency rapidly approaching, we sit in the best position in the NBA. Player interest is skyrocketing as the possibilities of landing Chris Paul & Dwight Howard become more and more of a reality.”

The letter included a link to a story on ESPN’s Website reporting that Paul was unhappy with the notion that he played a role in the dismissal of head coach Vinny Del Negro last month.

“This is your opportunity to get on board before its (sic) too late. Once we solidify our signings there will be no seats left,” the letter added.

Neither the NBA nor Hawks president Bob Williams immediately returned phone calls.

As part of its Collective Bargaining Agreement the league defines tampering as when a player or team directly or indirectly entices, induces or persuades anybody under contract with another team in order to negotiate for their services. The NBA detailed its anti-tampering policy in a memo sent to all 30 teams in 2008. The letter read: “If a member of your organization is asked by the media about a potential free agent prior to the July 1 following the last season covered by the player’s contract, or about any other person under contract with another NBA team, the only proper response is to decline comment.” The ban extends to general managers, coaches, players or any employee of an organization.

The league has issued hefty fines in the past for tampering, particularly in 2010 when LeBron James became an unrestricted free agent, for the mere mention of a player under contract with another team. The Hawks were one team disciplined.

Co-owner Michael Gearon was fined $25,000 for comments he made to the AJC on May 27, 2010 about then-Cavaliers forward James. Gearon said “If somebody came to us tomorrow and said you can have LeBron for max money and it puts you in the luxury tax, I’d do it in a heartbeat. But am I going to do that for [Zydrunas] Ilgauskas? Am I going to do it for Jermaine O’Neal? I don’t think so …”

It was the third time that week that the league issued a fine for tampering. Mavericks owner Mark Cuban was fined $100,000 for saying “anybody” would be interested in James in an interview. He added that it would be tough to sign the league MVP in free agency, but a sign-and-trade deal with Cleveland is something he would look at. Steve Kerr, then president of basketball operations for the Suns, was fined $10,000 for comments he made.

- Staff writer Jeff Schultz contributed to this story.

http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/hawks-mention-of-howard-paul-in-letter-may-constit/nYBg6/

Geez what a major f up. Just when i was starting to have some faith in the owners. How does this crap get sent out without someone who isn't an idiot approving it.

But but but, Danny Ferry is bringing WORLD CLASS MANAGEMENT.

(I seriously doubt Danny had anything to do with this. This is coming from the sales side of things, which is likely still under A$G management regime. They have called me multiple times throughout the years and every time I talk to one of them I get pissed off at how dumb they are.)

• Moderators

Tampering is when a player or team directly or indirectly entices, induces or persuades anybody (player, general manager, etc.) who is under contract with another team in order to negotiate for their services. The NBA may impose suspensions and/or fines up to $50,000 if tampering is discovered, however the league's practice has been to wait until a team lodges a complaint before investigating (but that's not to say they don't continue to monitor the league and won't take action independently if they discover that tampering has occurred). Here are some examples:

[*]The Miami Heat were discovered to have tampered with Pat Riley in 1995 by negotiating with Riley while he was the head coach of the New York Knicks. The Heat "settled," and avoided league-imposed penalties, by compensating the Knicks with $1 million and their first round draft pick in 1996.

[*]After Will Perdue left San Antonio in the 1999 offseason to sign with Chicago, he commented to the press about the possibility of the Bulls signing Tim Duncan and/or Grant Hill in 2000. The league considered this to be tampering, and issued Perdue a warning.

You may have noticed that when general managers and other team personnel talk to the press, they are careful to avoid talking about specific players who play for other teams. They do this in order to avoid tampering. The only allowed response when talking about players under contract with other teams is to decline comment.

The PR person has to know not to put out releases with players names who aren't on your team. Something tells me the Hawks did this on purpose, they had to know better. Either way, I understand and I am not happy about it as a fan.

Edited by Leadership
  • Like 2

Who cares ?

They will pay the fine and not think twice about.

They are probably hoping to a get a few mentions on ESPN and NBATV about this.....that national advertising of tieing Paul / Howard to Atlanta is well worth the fine.

This. I'm sure this was deliberate and calculated.

Who cares ?

They will pay the fine and not think twice about.

They are probably hoping to a get a few mentions on ESPN and NBATV about this.....that national advertising of tieing Paul / Howard to Atlanta is well worth the fine.

This. I can't imagine otherwise. This sounds like ASG trying to rev up ticket sales and hype which isn't there right now.

• Like 2

Anyone thinking this is intentional does not know the A$G. This is the same PR wizz kidzz that had the Meruelo sale royally screw up. Don't make me go on a rant about them, there is way more evidence in the past that this is a mistake than this being intentional.

Intentional or not - If the ONLY punishment is a fine - who really cares? ASG trying to sell tickets and get the fan base pumped up.And why is the good ole AJC throwing the hometown team under the bus? lol.

Intentional or not - If the ONLY punishment is a fine - who really cares? ASG trying to sell tickets and get the fan base pumped up.And why is the good ole AJC throwing the hometown team under the bus? lol.

Some people care because they salivate at any and every opportunity to eviscerate the ASG.

• Like 1