• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Kyle Korver RE-SIGNS with HAWKS 4 yr $24 million

plskeepbibby

Only on the squawk tho.

Howard signs with the Hawks for max contract.

Hawksquawk: " i wouldve offered 12 mil"

Grief people, this is a great signing. The names you guys are mentioning for cheaper are garbage compared to Korver

is this the basketball knowledge around here where people think Korver is better than Batum ?

I might have to quit if that is the case

you telling me 6 million for a top 3 point shooter is to much? he should get less or same as Reddick?

• Like 2

This is a near perfect signing as far as I'm concerned. KK is a great complimentary piece - but not so much of a game changer as to prevent possible tanking. If we were to get D12 he would be a big asset - if we go the other way he can't win games by himself.

He is versatile in that respect.

...and really - I don't think giving 4 for 24 is much more than 3 for 20 + Brooklyn may have offered more.

I know Soth is getting flack for this but he has a point. Hard for me to comment on this signing without everything aligned. But we could of got Francisco Garcia cheaper; who is younger and not a liability on defense (WE SAW IT HEAVY with Korver in the playoffs). I wouldn't mind Korver with a 15-20 min role, but 6 mill a year is telling me otherwise. This is great if we have Dwight who can make him more effective on Offense and cover for him on Defense. But Al Jefferson makes me cringe. I think he is going to Dallas/Charlotte anyways. More than likely if we don't get Dwight, not sure how this helps us at all being honest. I know he is a great locker room guy as well; but I need something else for 6 mill.

Dunleavy is the better player though. About the same on D; But Dunleavy can put the ball on the floor and create for others as well as himself.

Edited by GameTime
  • Like 1

Only on the squawk tho.

Howard signs with the Hawks for max contract.

Hawksquawk: " i wouldve offered 12 mil"

Grief people, this is a great signing. The names you guys are mentioning for cheaper are garbage compared to Korver

you telling me 6 million for a top 3 point shooter is to much? he should get less or same as Reddick?

Yes 6 mil is too much for a player that cant create his own shot and for a team that is trying to keep salary off the books for major free agent .. Yes 6 mil is to much for Korver when there are much better options Hawks could have went after if they needed a 3pt shooter. Id rather look for a better all around basketball player then a SHOOTER

is this the basketball knowledge around here where people think Korver is better than Batum ?

I might have to quit if that is the case

I gave you a few specific reasons he was better -- you gave me a GIF.

In what way is Batum better than Korver? Only advantage I really see is his age.

• Premium Member

This is how I read the beans:

DFerry has decided that we either get Dwight, Jefferson, or Bynum.

We play Al at the 4.

We need shooters to open up the floor for our bigs. Korver.

The contract is right on the money. Korver is no baby or no defensive stallworth but he tries.

In my mind, I think this opens the gates for my dream:

Teague

Mayo

Korver

Horf

Howard.

I know the board is filled with Teague haters and Smoove Lovers and there will be commentation. However, my point is that:

A cheaper OJ is better than a questionable Iggy.

• Premium Member

I know Soth is getting flack for this but he has a point. Hard for me to comment on this signing without everything aligned. But we could of got Francisco Garcia cheaper; who is younger and not a liability on defense (WE SAW IT HEAVY with Korver in the playoffs). I wouldn't mind Korver with a 15-20 min role, but 6 mill a year is telling me otherwise. This is great if we have Dwight who can make him more effective on Offense and cover for him on Defense. But Al Jefferson makes me cringe. I think he is going to Dallas/Charlotte anyways. More than likely if we don't get Dwight, not sure how this helps us at all being honest. I know he is a great locker room guy as well; but I need something else for 6 mill.

Dunleavy is the better player though. About the same on D; But Dunleavy can put the ball on the floor and create for others as well as himself.

Be prepared to be jumped by the Korver bandwagon but thank you for the nice words. And I agree with you 100%.

• Moderators

If we truly intend to tank, we can ship out Horford before the season, then wiggle Korver for a desperate contender later, and fait accompli. There's no point in worrying about Kyle winning unnecessary games when we've still got an occasional All-Star big on the payroll.

We do need a thread for us pro-tankers to share our tankerrific 2013-14 Hawks rosters! Complete with ScrubMin contracts!

In the meantime, in between time... Great signing, Danny!

~lw3

• Like 4

In what way is Batum better than Korver? Only advantage I really see is his age.

check defense

Batum can create his own shot...check

Batum can rebound , blk shots and steal

I know Soth is getting flack for this but he has a point. Hard for me to comment on this signing without everything aligned. But we could of got Francsico Garcia cheaper; who is younger and not a liability on defense (WE SAW IT HEAVY with Korver in the playoffs). I wouldn't mind Korver with a 15-20 min role, but 6 mill a year is telling me otherwise. This is great if we have Dwight who can make him more effective on Offense and cover for him on Defense. But Al Jefferson makes me cringe. I think he is going to Dallas/Charlotte anyways. More than likely if we don't get Dwight, not sure how this helps us at all being honest. I know he is a great locker room guy as well; but I need something else for 6 mill.

We didn't have a liability on defense with Korver. We had a liability at coach with Drew. You can bet that Budenholzer will never, ever try and defend Paul George with Kyle Korver.

BTW Garcia is a 36% 3pt shooter for his career. Korver is a 42% 3pt shooter for his career. Some of you guys are really not understanding how much of a difference that actually is. To put that into perspective, Josh Smith is a 29% career 3pt shooter who shot 30% last year. So Garcia / Dunleavy are roughly 6ish percent better than Josh, who we know is a horrible 3pt shooter and Korver is 6ish percent better than those guys. You can kinda see what I'm saying here, right?

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Zach... we go waaaayyy back.. but I have to tell you.. on this one, you're wrong.

Batum is a top notch defender. Rebounds, Steals, man on man. He deserves to at least be 2nd team.

Batum also shoots well. Korver might be a better spot up shooter, but that about it. If Portland requested a trade for Korver the minute after we signed him.. and they were offering Batum, I would do that.

• Like 2

For the people against this signing I really don't understand. It's not that hard to move a 6 mil contract. Every contender wants shooters and will trade for a 6 mil contract. This isn't that hard to figure out. So who cares? For those who want to tank this signing will not effect this possibility as he will be easy to trade. Its kind of like 1 + 1 = 2

• Like 2

check defense

Batum can create his own shot...check

Batum can rebound , blk shots and steal

He doesn't do any of those things significantly better than Korver, who IS significantly more efficient.

Zach... we go waaaayyy back.. but I have to tell you.. on this one, you're wrong.

Batum is a top notch defender. Rebounds, Steals, man on man. He deserves to at least be 2nd team.

Batum also shoots well. Korver might be a better spot up shooter, but that about it. If Portland requested a trade for Korver the minute after we signed him.. and they were offering Batum, I would do that.

Batum had 1.9 defensive win shares last season. That's not a "top notch defender". BTW, Korver had 2.5 defensive win shares last season.

Zach... we go waaaayyy back.. but I have to tell you.. on this one, you're wrong. Batum is a top notch defender. Rebounds, Steals, man on man. He deserves to at least be 2nd team.Batum also shoots well. Korver might be a better spot up shooter, but that about it. If Portland requested a trade for Korver the minute after we signed him.. and they were offering Batum, I would do that.

Agreed and that is why Batum making almost twice as much as Korver...lol. (1 mil diff)

He is a better man-on-man defender, sure. He doesn't get significantly more rebounds than Korver, or steals.

Korver's offense is so efficient, regardless of what role he's used in, that he contributes more offensively.

You could argue that if Korver had the ball in his hands more, he'd fail to 'create' (whatever that means -- I think that's a myth, TBH) and turn it over at the much higher rate that Batum does. But Korver, when used in a role that maximizes his abilities, is incredibly valuable. Batum hasn't shown any of that yet.