• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Andrew Bynum Gaining Interest From Hawks

NCHawksFan

Andrew Bynum Gaining Interest from Hawks

After whiffing in the Dwight Howard sweepstakes and losing Josh Smith all within the span of a few days, the Atlanta Hawks are looking up — specifically at 7-ft free-agent center Andrew Bynum.

The Hawks have also been linked to Monta Ellis, but the team would only be able to sign one of the stars.

ESPN’s Mark Stein reported earlier today that Atlanta’s primary sights are still set on Ellis as “the future of restricted free-agent Jeff Teague is still uncertain” within the Hawks organization. If the team were to accept trading Teague, they would have enough to offer Ellis somewhere around $10 million per year. Although the Hawks have given a lot of thought to Ellis, they are still heavily interested in Bynum as a plan B of sorts.

Bynum would, in theory, give the Hawks the throwback big man they have coveted for so long. However, he comes with a huge injury risk and his refusal to workout for any teams raises major skepticism in his current status.

Regardless, Bynum may be worth taking a risk on as long as a very strong medical staff is progressively treating his injuries. In the right situation, Bynum could return to the 18.7 ppg, 11.8 rpg and 1.9 bpg he recorded just two seasons ago with the Los Angeles Lakers. Those stats alone are buoying his value this off-season, not to mention that he is still only 25 years old with much room to grow. And giving his past injuries, it’s very possible Atlanta could get Bynum for a relatively cheap two-year deal.

Don’t forget to “Like” the Soaring Down South Facebook page and “Follow” us on Twitter @SoaringDwnSouth to get up-to-date Atlanta Hawks/NBA news, rumors and analysis conveniently in your news feeds.

I am very interested in seeing what this team looks like in October. I can't seem to figure out if Danny is trying to get us to be just competitive for a couple of years in hopes to land a big time free agent in 2 years or what. I will say this, this is going to be completely Danny Ferry's team. The only player on this roster this year that he didn't bring in will be Al Horford...unless he trades him too.

But he has bone on bone knees. This I can now remember them talking about it this year in Philly Sport talk radio. Don't do it Danny!

I think I might be ok with it if they feel he can play some and they give him a 1 year deal. I don't think we can get anyone this year that will put us past the 2nd round of the playoffs anyway.

But he has bone on bone knees. This I can now remember them talking about it this year in Philly Sport talk radio. Don't do it Danny!

If the Hawks aren't going to tank this year, why wouldn't you offer him a 2 year deal? If he doesn't pan out this year he would become a trade asset next season.

• Like 1

Give him a one year deal! Please ferry!....I think he's worth that. We just have to monitor him. As long as he plays in the playoffs that's all I care about.

I wouldn't even give him any deal, he would just suck money from the Hawks and don't even play because of his knees.

If the Hawks aren't going to tank this year, why wouldn't you offer him a 2 year deal? If he doesn't pan out this year he would become a trade asset next season.

He won't be able to play! At all... Not many, if not any, will trade for him not being able to play. I hope I'm wrong but the way they were talking Bynum is very bad news.

• Moderators

He will not work out for anyone it appears.

"Training" is a better word. Here's what I'm referring to:

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/sixerville/Report-Bynum-wont-work-out.html

Center Andrew Bynum, who missed the entire 2012-13 season with the Sixers because of a knee injury, will not work out for teams hoping to sign him, according to a Yahoo Sports report. Bynum’s agent, David Lee, said the unrestricted free agent will begin training in Atlanta this month as he rehabs from knee surgery. ~lw3

This is no different than any other story throwing names around to different teams with cap space. It's all speculation, which is fine when its just for exploring scenarios. It's an interesting story but not exactly new information. I would like a 1 or 2 year deal for Bynum. If he is injured then that helps our draft stock. No problem. If healthy he's a beast. Works for me.

• Premium Member

This is no different than any other story throwing names around to different teams with cap space. It's all speculation, which is fine when its just for exploring scenarios. It's an interesting story but not exactly new information.

I would like a 1 or 2 year deal for Bynum. If he is injured then that helps our draft stock. No problem. If healthy he's a beast. Works for me.

Why do you think Bynum would accept a 1 or 2 year deal?

I honestly thought the signing of Millsap meant we were going all out for Bynum. If he plays, you've got a ridiculous three headed monster. If he doesn't play, Al stays at the five and Millsap at the four.