• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

1993 Academy Awards.

Diesel

• Premium Member

BEST ACTOR Picture Nominees Studio Box Office Schindler's List Liam Neeson Universal $96,065,768 Philadelphia Tom Hanks TriStar $77,446,440 What's Love Got to Do with It Laurence Fishburne Buena Vista $39,100,956 In the Name of the Father Daniel Day-Lewis Universal $25,096,862 The Remains of the Day Anthony Hopkins Columbia $23,237,911 Total Gross: $260,947,937 Average Gross: $52,189,587

BEST ACTRESS

Picture Nominees Studio Box Office The Piano Holly Hunter Miramax $40,157,856 What's Love Got to Do with It Angela Bassett Buena Vista $39,100,956 Shadowlands Debra Winger Savoy $25,842,377 The Remains of the Day Emma Thompson Columbia $23,237,911 Six Degrees of Separation Stockard Channing MGM $6,405,918 Total Gross: $134,745,018 Average Gross: $26,949,004

Hmm?

I thought Debra Winger was a tad over-rated. That may be because she took that hideous role in "Urban Cowboy"...she was otherwise a quality performer. She was good in "An Officer and a Gentleman"..but that wasn't exactly Academy Award material either.

One Actor that I have always liked is William Hurt. He has a history of acting in quality productions.

I liked him in "Broadcast News" and "Children of a Lesser God". He did a wonderful performance (IMO) in "Kiss of the Spider Woman", although that movie may not be for all tastes.

He was excellent in "Altered States"...and I thought he had his best performance in "The Accidental Tourist"...a movie that was interesting and thoughtful. His character is always a bit standoffish with emotion struggling to come through.

"The Accidental Tourist" is a must watch for movie officianados. It will make you think. I believe Geena Davis won a best supporting actress award for her performance in that show

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIP3WKwnkvE

Edited by Marilyn

• Premium Member

One thing about the 1993 Academy Awards was Lawrence Fishburne's portrayal of Ike Turner. I believe it was because he played such a monstrous character but I remember liking Tom Hanks in Philadelphia but his acting didn't surpass Fishburne as Turner. Here's the thing though. The Awards best male category was packed with stars. Day-Lewis, Neeson, Fishburne, and Hopkins delivered better acting than Hanks In My Opinion. I have gone back and watched each of these. I think that there's two things that propped Hanks up for this win. He was already a name and the movie shun light on the problem of homosexuality and aids. He was a victim. Ike Turner couldn't pull off the victim. Neither could any of the other characters. I just think Hanks won for the wrong reasons.

Bassett vs. Hunter? The whole universe has already commented on this slight. I think this was about Tina Turner though.

One thing about the 1993 Academy Awards was Lawrence Fishburne's portrayal of Ike Turner. I believe it was because he played such a monstrous character but I remember liking Tom Hanks in Philadelphia but his acting didn't surpass Fishburne as Turner. Here's the thing though. The Awards best male category was packed with stars. Day-Lewis, Neeson, Fishburne, and Hopkins delivered better acting than Hanks In My Opinion. I have gone back and watched each of these. I think that there's two things that propped Hanks up for this win. He was already a name and the movie shun light on the problem of homosexuality and aids. He was a victim. Ike Turner couldn't pull off the victim. Neither could any of the other characters. I just think Hanks won for the wrong reasons.

Bassett vs. Hunter? The whole universe has already commented on this slight. I think this was about Tina Turner though.

They gave best picture to Crash... So...

• Like 1

• Premium Member

They gave best picture to Crash... So...

I have never watched brokeback mountain, so i won't comment on that. However, if we were to go down the list, the academy has been wrong several times.

Denzel snubs. Halle Berry Snub. Robin Williams Snub. DeCaprio didn't even get nominated for his role in Titanic? The whole Shakespear in love thing was about Judy Dench. Nothing else. No reason for it to have beaten Saving Private Ryan. I think the academy just got tired of Hanks. They gave him one, he won 2 or 3 more and they just got tired.

• Moderators

I think the Grammy's are the worst in terms of embarrassing selections. Will Smith over Public Enemy for rap; Jethro Tull over Metallica for heavy metal; Christpher Cross over Pink Floyd; New Vaudeville Band over the Beatles, the Beach Boys, and the Mamas & the Papas; etc.

I have never watched brokeback mountain, so i won't comment on that. However, if we were to go down the list, the academy has been wrong several times.

Denzel snubs. Halle Berry Snub. Robin Williams Snub. DeCaprio didn't even get nominated for his role in Titanic? The whole Shakespear in love thing was about Judy Dench. Nothing else. No reason for it to have beaten Saving Private Ryan. I think the academy just got tired of Hanks. They gave him one, he won 2 or 3 more and they just got tired.

Denzel's post Training Day work is sort of so so acting wise. I'm not saying all of the movies are bad, but it seems like after Training Day he just started to be... Well, just him. I like Inside Man and some of the others, but performance wise it's just him being him now.

Leo's best work to this day was Gilbert Grape. His performances now are no longer natural. What do you think Robin got snubbed for? He had really good performances when he was in Insomnia and One Hour Photo.

Edited by Hotlanta1981
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Denzel's post Training Day work is sort of so so acting wise. I'm not saying all of the movies are bad, but it seems like after Training Day he just started to be... Well, just him. I like Inside Man and some of the others, but performance wise it's just him being him now.

Leo's best work to this day was Gilbert Grape. His performances now are no longer natural. What do you think Robin got snubbed for? He had really good performances when he was in Insomnia and One Hour Photo.

Safe House was really good and Flight was pretty good too. Especially the opening scene!