• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Going Into Battle

hazer

I realize it's still early, but here's what's looking to be DF's starting 5 as things currently stand:

Teague

Jenkins

Korver

Milsap

Horford

That's at least 40 wins right there, if Jenk continues to improve on D with the effort that he was giving toward the end of last season and he and Korver play good team D.

Depth chart:

Teague/Shredder/Lou/Mack

Jenk/Lou/KK/Teague

KK/DMC/Scott/Sap

Sap/Horf/Antić/Scott

Horf/Brand/Gus/Bebe

Thoughts?

Edited by hazer

A minor reality check. The Hawks started out 20-10 last year but went 24-28 over their next 52 games. This team is not as good as last year's squad on paper. But going by the pace of the last 52 games we were a 37 win squad.

Now factor in a number of new players, a new system to learn, and that the east is improved overall. 45 wins is going to be tough to come by.

Very little defense in that starting 5

That's why I already stated that I just don't see Jenkins and Korver together on the floor for longer stretches, as it would surely give us tons of problems on D, and especially to our already undersized front-court.

• Premium Member

A minor reality check. The Hawks started out 20-10 last year but went 24-28 over their next 52 games. This team is not as good as last year's squad on paper. But going by the pace of the last 52 games we were a 37 win squad.

Now factor in a number of new players, a new system to learn, and that the east is improved overall. 45 wins is going to be tough to come by.

I agree that 45 wins is going to be difficult. And it's a shame that we didn't get a big. However, we have to evaluate how much addition by subtraction losing Smoove was. And then add up what Millsap is going to invest.

• Like 1

Here's what I'm most excited to see:

Shredder

Lou

DMC

Horf

Brand

This 2nd lineup might not win much, but should be something else to watch. Even moreso if Bebe starts figuring it out and you plug him in for Brand.

• Premium Member

Honestly, I've set my bar pretty low. I'm expecting any of the bottom 3 seeds, but I think a win for this team is pushing for 5th. I don't think that's out of the question. I'm not too concerned about where we finish this season. Mostly, I'm just looking forward to the effects of Smoove being gone.

This is the year for Teague and Horford. This is when people will be able to lay some solid criticism on them. There's nothing holding them back now. I'm actually VERY excited to see how they respond to the responsibility and I'm loving the fact that this is now Al's team. Although I don't think he should be #1 option, dude has leadership written all over him. Should be good for the team.

I think we can surprise people, and I do think we're a better team...but I also think the East is a little stronger this year. Ultimately, I don't see us getting out of the 2nd round. And if we end up as a 6th, 7th, or 8th seed...then we're not getting out of the 1st round.

Is it better to trot this out there then?:

Teague

KK

DMC

Milsap

Horf

DMC's hustle and D makes up for KK's barely average D, and Jenk's lack of D despite signs of improved effort toward the end of last season. This lineup doesn't spread the floor as much...

Edited by hazer

A minor reality check. The Hawks started out 20-10 last year but went 24-28 over their next 52 games. This team is not as good as last year's squad on paper. But going by the pace of the last 52 games we were a 37 win squad. Now factor in a number of new players, a new system to learn, and that the east is improved overall. 45 wins is going to be tough to come by.

We should easily do 20-10 again as our schedule is lol easy until january

It all comes down to chemistry....will we have it??

I think so. We have heady players now. If Budz can get them to buy in we are going to be more dangerous than ppl think. Zaza didn't make a difference last season. Josh is addition by subtraction. Leaves Devin and Ivan as our only contributors lost from last season.Now add Millsap. Add getting Lou back. Add Teague getting a coach that know how to coach PGs. Add DMC and some depth at the forward position. Add a possible up and coming stud PG. We are gonna be pretty good and a move or two from being great.

• Premium Member

It all comes down to chemistry....will we have it??

Oh yeah. Undoubtedly and that might just be the X-factor this season. The one thing that Ferry has instituted that is similar to San Antonio is the kind of players we have now. No knuckleheads. I don't want to dump on Smoove, but some people are really blind to the distraction he brought on and off the court.

- Clashes with coaching

- All that noise about him being a max player

- Ridiculous shot selection

- Refusing to give the ball up to the PG

- Skulking on the court

- Kicked out of practice

- Suspended by the team

This was our alpha scorer and our team captain and he's gone. All that's left is a bunch of guys that want to work hard and win. Led by Horford, who is a champion at heart, and has great leadership skills. I mean, he showed that during his rookie season. On top of that, we replaced Josh with a hard working/team player who will play within his game...

Chemistry will not be an issue. I'm actually looking forward to how this team plays with Al as it's captain.

• Like 2